Elessar

Weekend Estimates (Jan 4-6 2013)

Sometimes I really wonder how it is that Bob and Harvey are so rich. They really make poor decisions a lot of the time. SLP should be having a run like Lincoln right now. Instead, it is going to finish with about 70 mill if all the stars align properly. Such a dumb dumb dumb way to handle SLP. Shame on them and LG for fucking up Perks as well.

Don't remind me of Perks. Such a great movie that was royally screwed and SLP's following the same path.Hopefully Perks gets BP and BD nominations, it deserves them.
  • Like 2

Second that, SLP should be doing Juno numbers, especially that it has a nice NFL feel to it and the sport is in the main focus these weeks.

That's the other really confusing thing about it. It has a huge NFL angle to it and yet the fat men still couldn't handle it right.It reminds me of the joke/parable about God and miracles:A religious man is on top of a roof during a great flood. A man comes by in a boat and says "get in, get in!" The religous man replies, " no I have faith in God, he will grant me a miracle."Later the water is up to his waist and another boat comes by and the guy tells him to get in again. He responds that he has faith in god and god will give him a miracle. With the water at about chest high, another boat comes to rescue him, but he turns down the offer again cause "God will grant him a miracle."With the water at chin high, a helicopter throws down a ladder and they tell him to get in, mumbling with the water in his mouth, he again turns down the request for help for the faith of God. He arrives at the gates of heaven with broken faith and says to Peter, I thought God would grand me a miracle and I have been let down." St. Peter chuckles and responds, "I don't know what you're complaining about, we sent you three boats and a helicopter."This can be used for the Weinsteins also. They keep waiting for just the right moment, and eventually all those moments will have passed them by and then they will drown.

• Founder / Operator

I think part of SLP's "problem" is it's still a hard subject to sell to a wide audience, even when its taken a bit lightly. The film has had great word of mouth among its target audience, it just hasn't expanded into the mainstream.Part of that is also because there's really no room for it in the market. Between Lincoln, Skyfall, Les Mis and Django, adults have plenty of other options with higher prestige to draw them in.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

What is NFL?

Think of football in Europe. That's how big the NFL is here in North America. It is huge. Football dominates everything and it is one of the reasons why films fall so hard on Sunday's in January...playoffs.
  • Like 1

I think part of SLP's "problem" is that depression is still a hard subject to sell to a wide audience, even when its taken a bit lightly. The film has had great word of mouth among its target audience, it just hasn't expanded into the mainstream.Part of that is also because there's really no room for it in the market. Between Lincoln, Skyfall, Les Mis and Django, adults have plenty of other options with higher prestige to draw them in.

I respectfully disagree. There is plenty of buzz about SLP now and Cooper is a major star and it has enough press to give it that noteriety. They should have expanded it once before Christmas, a bit more at Christmas and then more this weekend. imo.

I think the playoffs is the main reason January has always been a movie 'dead zone', because otherwise it's a perfectly fine month. When it comes down to seeing a movie that I might want to see and watching RGIII live tomorrow, the choice is clear. Most of America would agree with me.

• Like 1

What is NFL?

NFL, It's the biggest and the baddest sport in the USA. Here is the wiki page for it.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFLSB gets over 100M rating in USA. Playoffs are starting this weekend including my beloved Texans facing the Bengals in 4.5 hours. Hopefully, we don't choke today like we've the last month of the season. Edited by druv10

Most of America yes, but there are millions of people who will go see a live game and/or watch it on TV. So it obviously affects the Sundays in a big way.