Elessar

Weekend Estimates (Jan 4-6 2013)

I agree with high end predictions for Zero Dark Thirty- between Oscars and controversy from both sides of the aisles, the buzz is huge. Plus, the Bin Laden historical story is much more well known than Argo and more relevant than Lincoln. And the trailer is great. I see 23 opening and who knows how high total.

• Like 1

Well, the killer gene was once so synonymous with Tom brady that is might as well be called the 'Brady gene' at this point. With the loss in the Superbowl and the Manning hype, there is whispers that the guy is angry and more on a mission than ever before. Tom Brady on the biggest mission of his career is just a terrifying concept. It's the only reason I have the Patriots making the Super Bowl over the Broncos, who most are picking.

The shocking thing is they haven't won a SB in nearly a decade, after winning 3 out of 4 years. Giants threw a massive monkey-ranch into Brady as the greatest QB ever. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep, I too unfortunately agree with big predictions for ZDT. I know a lot of people who want to see it. It is talked about incessantly and the controversy and the idea of seeing the raid is really getting people talking. It will win next weekend handily, I'm afraid.

The shocking thing is they haven't won a SB in nearly a decade, after winning 3 out of 4 years. Giants threw a massive monkey-ranch into Brady as the greatest QB ever. :lol: :lol: :lol:

True, but one more ring for Brady or Manning plus a few more typical MVP type years puts them on top of that list, just a little later than expected.

Not really. It wasn't Brady's fault that the idiot caught that pass. Brady hasn't been the Pats problem.

Yep, I too unfortunately agree with big predictions for ZDT. I know a lot of people who want to see it. It is talked about incessantly and the controversy and the idea of seeing the raid is really getting people talking. It will win next weekend handily, I'm afraid.

I think it's gonna be big, but it would be unwise to doubt Haunted House. Huge trailer reactions, box office pedigree, aiming for a specific demographic, and i honestly think it looks like a great guilty pleasure. Plus, Gangster Squad has alot of buzz among both young men, for the action, and young women, for the Gosling. One of the better January weekends in a while.

I think all this Senate hoopla was them actively trying to get people less interested in the film. They misfired on that account.
  • Like 3

I think all this Senate hoopla was them actively trying to get people less interested in the film. They misfired on that account.

Controversy sells.

True, but one more ring for Brady or Manning plus a few more typical MVP type years puts them on top of that list, just a little later than expected.

I would never put Manning above Montana. Brady on the other hand with another ring could be argued.

Please don't bring up the NHL. I was born with a hockey stick in my rear end and I will not watch a game this year (if they come back). I will eventually come back but I'm tired of these millionaires and billionaires crying over who has to pay for the wine at dinner. They can all go beep themselves right now.Rant over, back to box office.

They are doing their very best to kill the league. After the last lockout it took 2-3 years to recover and I pretty much stopped watching regular season games at that point, juts watched the playoffs. That is significant as I was a die-hard hockey fan growing up (I grew up in Alberta during the Edmonton Oilers glory days, awesome time to be a fan). After this lockout, if it ever ends, I might just tune in for the Stanley Cup final.While both sides are to blame I feel most of it is on the owners side, and especially Bettman, they just seem bent on crushing the union rather than come to a deal. I really want to see the players union decertify now and watch the fireworks as antitrust lawsuits start flying.
  • Like 1

I have low expectations for Gangster Squad. ZDT is direct competition and it just looks like the superior option. All I've heard about GS is how ridiculous Sean Penn's nose looks.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1