Elessar

Weekend Estimates (Jan 4-6 2013)

I'm not quite sure if people here are aware, how outstandingly awesome that ZDT-number is.There's no other movie coming even close to that average in the same amount of theaters.I totally expect this to explode next weekend with 30m+.

I've been trying to tell everyone that it's easily the story of the weekend.

I follow music charts (local, Billboard, UK Singles) so I'm aware who Trey Songz is. He is very popular with the urban crowd and that audience is quite loyal I must say. Surprised though to find out he was the main draw of TCM3D

Edited by forg

Texas Chainsaw opened well. It's not the breakout hit the 2003 remake was, but it took advantage of being the first new horror movie with significant appeal in a while. It also had the biggest opening for a straight 3D horror movie since Saw 3D, so the practice of adding an extra dimension to a gorefest isn't dead just yet. Legs won't be pretty, but it doesn't matter considering that the budget was probably really low.Django Unchained is still performing very well. Even with some minor controversy about the racial language and the unflinching brutality, it is holding up significantly better than its two main holiday competitors. While it didn't win the weekend, it did leapfrog ahead of Texas Chainsaw for the #1 spot on Saturday and Sunday. It remains to be seen how much of a splash it will make with Oscar nominations on Thursday (I could see it picking up a whole bunch, or just scraping by with a small handful), but regardless of how it does there, word of mouth will probably be strong enough to carry it near the $171.2 million total that True Grit posted two years ago.The Hobbit had a decent hold in its first post-holiday weekend. It was a slightly weaker hold than Fellowship of the Ring or Return of the King had in their first weekends of the new year, but a little stronger than that of The Two Towers. It's still on track to top $300 million domestically before closing.Les Mis also continues to pull in strong business. It didn't hold as well as Dreamgirls or Sweeney Todd over the first weekends of their respective new years, but it's performing at a much higher level than either of them. It has also had what is undoubtedly the fastest run to $100 million for any musical.Parental Guidance is still enjoying success in an empty marketplace for families. It should top at least $80 million before closing, which is much more than I was expecting from it prior to its opening.Jack Reacher held very well. It hasn't lit the world on fire, but at least it stands a good chance of topping the gross of fellow also-ran Tom Cruise vehicle Valkyrie, which sits at $83 million.This Is 40 also held well. It has topped Judd Apatow's last directorial effort, Funny People, and should be able to conclude its run over $70 million.Lincoln is still performing above and beyond expectations for a movie of its type. It still has a while yet to go with the Oscar nominations that are in store for Thursday, but the fact that it has already racked up nearly $144 million despite playing in no more than 2,293 theaters is astonishing.The Guilt Trip continues the trend of good holds in the top ten. It should at least edge past its $40 million production budget.Promised Land is off to a predictably slow start, and will probably make a quiet exit considering that it's extremely unlikely to land anything when Oscar nominations are announced.Below the top ten, Zero Dark Thirty had an eye-popping weekend in 60 theaters. It should be able to ride hype, controversy, acclaim, and Oscar nominations to the top spot in its expansion next weekend.The top ten was off a little bit from the same weekend last year, but that's not too surprising considering that Texas Chainsaw didn't have the insane breakout performance The Devil Inside posted.

• Like 3

23m for TCM!!Great news for horror/slasher films. Ey baumer, how about you give your BFF Brad Fuller a call and tell the dude to either greenlight Friday the 13th or sell the rights to Lionsgate..

Fuller is a producer but WB still hold the rights. I don't thinke he has a say in whether or not it gets made. He has wanted to do it since day one.

Yeh, and Shannon and Swift (writers of Friday the 13th) said "the ball is rolling, but too slowly for release in 2013".And two weeks ago, Fuller tweeted Shannon & Swift, and Derek Mears (Jason) but the tweet was blank.I'm hopeful. More now than ever.

• Like 1