MovieGuyKyle17

4 Day Weekend Box Office Perdictions: Mama (30.5m); Broken City (9.7m); Last Stand (6.6m) Nikki

I know at least twenty-five people (mainly high schoolers back home) who saw Mama tonight. That number is high, but really not surprising at all. I haven't seen a group coagulate around a movie like this in a while. Huge Twitter buzz, too. It was underestimated from day uno.

WTF is it with January and overperforming (on OW anyways) horror movies? Does anybody know? Every year this happens. I just don't get why January is such a good month for them.

Mama is the only non-R release this month. (Besides expansions) so that's probably a big reason why. All R movies are getting hurt by the R-rated squeeze. Django's loosing theatres faster than Les Mis, all R-rated movies not getting too many theatres, and etc.
  • Like 1

Will the horrid opening for The Last Stand put a premature end to Arnold's comeback attempt? Who would be dumb enough to bankroll a big budget film with him as the star when it's now likely to flop in at least one of the main markets for a movie? They can't still be serious about making that new Conan the Barbarian film after this...

Mama is the only non-R release this month. (Besides expansions) so that's probably a big reason why. All R movies are getting hurt by the R-rated squeeze. Django's loosing theatres faster than Les Mis, all R-rated movies not getting too many theatres, and etc.

The PG-13 rating is huge for Mama, but equally helpful is the fact that the trailer was actually pretty darn creepy.
  • Like 1

WTF is it with January and overperforming (on OW anyways) horror movies? Does anybody know? Every year this happens. I just don't get why January is such a good month for them.

There aren't any during the holiday season aka in between Halloween and January, so I suppose the horror crowd just gets hungry.
  • Like 1

There aren't any during the holiday season aka in between Halloween and January, so I suppose the horror crowd just gets hungry.

Yep, that seems like a good reason for it. January is almost better for horror films (at least Opening Weekend) than October though the lead-up to Halloween generally allows for better legs.Sunday is probably going to be quite low for everything though, right? Two games likely to get over 40M viewers airing on TV that day.

Yep, that seems like a good reason for it. January is almost better for horror films (at least Opening Weekend) than October though the lead-up to Halloween generally allows for better legs.Sunday is probably going to be quite low for everything though, right? Two games likely to get over 40M viewers airing on TV that day.

If the two games are close, the ratings are gonna crush everything. Broncos Patriots would have been huge, but with Ray Lewis' story and the rabid Ravens fanbase, plus the classic nature of last year's game, the AFC championship will still be massive. And the 49ers are big as all hell.

I noticed that too. February seems to have a high ratio of R releases too. Even Identity Thief is an R to my surprise. You'd think the studios would have looked at the Jan-Feb release schedule and realized that practically all R releases wouldn't be a good idea. They all start cannibalizing each other and there's nothing for any audience outside of adults. So I wouldn't be surprised to see Warm Bodies and Beautiful Creatures overperform too since they're virtually the only other non-R's till March, even though they look horrible