Ezen Baklattan

BOF's 15 Best Films Of 2012. (TDKR Tribute On Pg. 19!)

The school grading system works that way. Anything below 6/10 is an F.Honestly, it's not that bad a way to grade movies. Most of them have a little effort put into them, at least.

Grading a film is different from education grades though. My system is roughly like this:A+ - 10/10A - 9.7/10A- - 9.0/10B+ - 8.3/10B - 7.5/10B- - 6.7/10C+ - 5.8/10C - 5/10C- - 4.2/10D+ - 3.3/10D - 2.5/10D- - 1.6/10F - 0

BTW I love that Cabin in the Woods was 21st on the list!

1. The Dark Knight Rises - A-

2. Skyfall - A

3. Django Unchained - B+

4. Argo - B+

5. Life Of Pi - A

6. Zero Dark Thirty - A-

7. Cloud Atlas - D+

8. The Avengers - A

9. Silver Linings Playbook - B+

10. Looper - C+

11. Lincoln - C-

12. Perks Of Being A Wallflower - B-

13. Les Miserables - B

14. The Hunger Games - A-

15. The Master - Didn't See

Let me explain my low grades.

Cloud Atlas: This film is the god of 2012 according to most people on this forum. It is a movie geeks wet dream and was loved by the Internet community. I disliked it strongly. The film is a fucking 172 minutes long and is packed with visual effects and lack of story. The multiple characters are hard to follow and the film NEVER climaxes. It is full of flash backs and flash forwards and is a wreck. The plot is confounding and I am not shocked it flopped. If I was Warner Brothers I would have no idea how to market this either. The 5 minute trailer looked great but I wasn't sold. This film would have played better as a TV show. It was a bold movie but utterly boring and unsatisfying. It was a mental workout as Variety Magazine said but for me the ending didn't pay off.

Looper: This film was just generic September sci-fi. Some parts were cool but the rest was just boring. It was just your average sci-fi flick. It isn't bad and it isn't good, it just is.

Lincoln: Ok so I went in expecting a story of Lincoln's life and of course politics but I never expected the entire movie to be dedicated to politics. I was so bored for the 2 hours and 30 minutes of the film. Yeah the acting was good but not mind blowing. I also was so tired of politics from the 2012 President Elections. I will definitely rent it on Redbox and watch it again. Maybe I'll enjoy it more. Again I probably just saw it at the wrong time and it left a bad impression on me.

Perk of Being A Wallflower: Emma Watson is great in this film and I really hope she can win a Oscar for her acting down the road. But the rest of the cast is average. The film doesn't reflect true American teen culture and I was disappointed the film shyed away from this. It is simply just another indie flick that the Internet/Indie community will eat up.

• Like 1

I think that system inherently is a flawed and outdated system. The reason you have 10 numbers is so that you use all 10 of them, otherwise why bother? I use 5/10 as a benchmark average C movie. Anything below is below average and anything above is above average. This way you have a lot more leeway and ability to distinguish the difference between the good and the great, and the bad and the ugly.

Me too. This is my system, that I try to follow:9.0+- Awesome- A, A+8.0+- Great- A-, A7.5+- Very good- B+6.5-7.0- Above Average- B~6.0+- Decent, OK- B-5.0+- Below average, Nothing special- C, C+4.0+- Bad- C-3.0+- Really bad- D, D+>3.0- Terrible, hated it- F

I do: 10*: Extraordinary beyond 10/10 movie. Given to maybe 10 movies. 10: Perfect, faultless (or faults so small that you don't even realise until multiple viewings later) Never been given to more than 6 movies a year, and some years like 2010 they were given to none9+: Excellent 8+: Great7+: Good6+: Above Average5+: Meh4+: Below Average but watchable3+: Bad, but stomach-able with copious amounts of booze 2+: Failure, horrible, unwatch-able1+: Someone take away the director's camera0+: Unredeemably bad. The Director should commit suicide.

• Like 1

With this, I hope we're all cool now.

------------------

WARNER BROS. PRESENTS

A FILM BY CHRISTOPHER NOLAN

CHRISTIAN BALE

ANNE HATHAWAY

TOM HARDY

JOSEPH GORDON LEVITT

MARION COTILLARD

MORGAN FREEMAN

GARY OLDMAN

MICHAEL CAINE

in...

1. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES - 190 Points

Posted Image

In 2005, Christopher Nolan began a remarkable vision of the mysterious guardian of Gotham City. By taking a much more serious, darker tone than previous stories of Batman, The Dark Knight trilogy became one of the most revered film trilogies of all time. Nolan, who directed and co-wrote the films with his brother, Jonathan, should honestly be recognized for his trilogy as a whole, although it is widely regarded that he peaked with the second installment, The Dark Knight. While the conclusion to the trilogy did not necessarily soar quite as high as The Dark Knight, it's still quite a strong film by the standards of most movies, and it's proof of how Christopher Nolan is quickly become of the best film directors of the 21st century. (Honestly, now that I've thought about the movie again, I remember why I gave it an A- on the first viewing.)

In this final installment, the emotional intesnity is not just stronger than any other film in the trilogy, but I'd argue to say it's strongest in all of Nolan's filmography. So many scenes had me on the verge of tears, especially those when Bruce Wayne was with his butler and caretaker, Alfred. Bane makes for an interesting villian, even if The Joker left big shoes to fill for Batman villians, but the most interesting character was, at least in my opinion, Anne Hathaway's Catwoman. She gives the character so much life, and every moment she was on screen was fantastic. I didn't think that she could pull it off, but one should probably not question Nolan's ability to cast the right roles to the right people. She was fantastic. The problems that some people had with it, including myself to some extent, was that the plot was less tight than in previous installments and Nolan films. I think that's what cause some dissapointment by a few forum members. Having said that, The Dark Knight Rises is a really good film, and it makes one look forward to seeing what Nolan will do next.

Of course, we cannot forget the tragedy that was associated with this movie on the midnight of July 20th in Aurora, CO. This shooting stung hearts all over the world, and several people spent their last moments with this movie. It was truly a terrible occurence.

User Quotes

"As a whole, Nolan crafts an impeccable film, which is a worthy follow-up to The Dark Knight. From the first moment with the facaded Gotham, to the slow but sure return of Batman, we see what a genius Nolan is and that he hasn’t lost his touch at all, but in fact probably gained more of it since we last saw his skills displayed in 2010’s Inception." - riczhang

"Well after anticipating this movie for 4 years (and REALLY anticipating it for around 2 when it was officially announced) and anticipating it on probably unhealthy levels (I kid) for around 1 year. I can safely say that for me, The Dark Knight Rises did indeed live up to the expectations." - Sogno

"A perfect ending to a perfect trilogy. I loved it!" - Michael G. Scott

"The renewed focus on Bruce was everything I had hoped for, and Bale rose to the challenge, easily giving his best performance." - PoeticProse22

"The last 20 minutes of this movie were simply astounding." - Gopher

"It flows perfectly through it's 164 minute runtime, I don't think there's a dull moment at all." - Fanboy

Facts & Figures

-Opening Weeknd: $160m

-Domestic Total: $448m

-Worldwide Total - $1.081b

-Rotten Tomatoes - 87%

-RT Average Rating - 8/10

-Metascore: 78

-One Of AFI's Top 10 Films Of 2012

• Like 5

Sorry Andrew, I feel compelled to dissect your post.

Cloud Atlas: This film is the god of 2012 according to most people on this forum. It is a movie geeks wet dream and was loved by the Internet community. I disliked it strongly. The film is a fucking 172 minutes long and is packed with visual effects and lack of story.

Lack of story? There are SIX stories, six different narratives driving every sequence of the film. Do you just have a problem with long movies?

Looper: This film was just generic September sci-fi. Some parts were cool but the rest was just boring. It was just your average sci-fi flick. It isn't bad and it isn't good, it just is.

Find me another sci-fi movie released in the last few years that was tighter than Looper and more boiled down to what it wanted to be.

Perk of Being A Wallflower: Emma Watson is great in this film and I really hope she can win a Oscar for her acting down the road. But the rest of the cast is average. The film doesn't reflect true American teen culture and I was disappointed the film shyed away from this.

Pick on Perks for what you want but the film is a personal story from an author who wrote a book about his friendships and mental issues from high school and then adapted it to film himself. It wasn't supposed to reflect today's 'true' American teen culture (of which there is no such thing), especially since it takes place in the early 90s.
  • Like 2