CoolioD1

House of Cards (K̶̷e̶̷v̶̷i̶̷n̶̷ ̶̷S̶̷p̶̷a̶̷c̶̷e̶̷y̶̷ Robin Wright)

At the very apex of power, who will F. Underwood connive and cajole?  He has no superiors to deceive and manipulate.  

My guess is that it'll be either Congress or the Supreme Court?  Getting his way with the judiciary would be very very interesting...hmmm...     (I wish we had a thinking emoticon right now..haha)

Besides, I'm sure the liberal writers wouldn't pass up the opportunity to make fun of conservative justices.

Edited by lilmac

Well I binged watched series 1 over the last few days. I had high hopes for this series but unfortunately it misses the mark for me compared to the original BBC series.

I think there are two problems with the show compared to the BBC version.

1) Frank Underwood vs Francis Urquhart. Nothing against Kevin Spacey who does a fantastic job with the material he is given but the character as written misses the mark IMO. With Urquhart he was a power hungry bastard for sure, but he had a reason behind his power hungry ways. He honestly thought that what he was doing was for the betterment of England. Only through his ultra conservative politics would England thrive. Underwood on the other hand appears to be a middle of the road democrat whose politics are very flexible and are used only to serve to gain him more power. This difference IMO makes Urquhart a far more interesting and fascinating character to watch.

2) The BBC miniseries was the perfect length with very little waste. Stretching it out to 13 episodes in a season....its like spreading margarine over too much bread. Lots of little side-plots and characters that I really couldn't care less about.

For all these faults its still a highly watchable series but give me the original any day of the week.

• Like 2

Finished the first season in the last 3 days. Started out great, but I really didn't like the last 4 episodes or so. Ultimately, it's a good show. I feel like the characters need to have more depth; right now, they all feel a little shallow (with the exception of Russo). One way this could be corrected is if we didn't have to focus so much on Spacey's grand master plan. Everything seems connected to it, and so the human moments are smothered by everything that is going on in the storyline.The acting is fantastic (especially by Spacey and Stoll). The directing is great, too. I know Fincher was the big name on the show, but everyone did a fantastic job even after he left. And Allen Coulter, who directed the last two episodes, supplied some unbelievable shots.IDK if I'll binge season 2 now or wait a little while. 

• Like 1

finished season 3. you can tell they had fuck all ideas for it and are just spinning their wheels until they get close to when netflix tells them it'll be ok to end it. call it showtime syndrome because showtime always runs their shows about 3 seasons longer than they fucking need to. 

I mean even Stamper's arc was a mix-up of Peter Russo's and his own from earlier. Stamper's scene in the season 3 finale are THE SAME as his scenes in the season 2 finale except with a different conclusion. yeesh.

Haven't finished it yet. But 10 episodes through, I agree with Coolio. This season is messy, bloated, and mostly pointless. The only good episodes are in the middle when Frank and Claire's relationship reaches a high point of tension. The rest of these episodes are mostly forgettable.

(Note: I actually liked Doug's arc so far. I think that Michael Kelly's been delivering a solid performance, so I'm a little disappointed if what you said about his arc in the finale turns out to be true.)