CoolioD1

House of Cards (K̶̷e̶̷v̶̷i̶̷n̶̷ ̶̷S̶̷p̶̷a̶̷c̶̷e̶̷y̶̷ Robin Wright)

So I hopped back into this after taking a long hiatus midway through the season to prep for S2.

Chapter 11. I feel almost completely unmotivated to even continue watching after this.

Francis is a murderer now? Holy shit what an over-the-top, possible jump-the-shark moment for the show. Barring the fact that Peter was probably the best, most interesting character on the show, I could forgive killing him off because it's truly tragic since his story was so easy to get behind and his relationships with his kids and Christina made you want him to succeed. It can provide a really grim, reflective standpoint on the costs of Frank's ruthless manipulation of people. But to have Francis actually just kill the guy himself? It's now pretty much impossible to empathize with him in any way as he's clearly a legitimate sociopath who seemingly always wins no matter what (which was already an issue with the show, when I actually was rooting for him). Russo committing suicide would've been a much better way to handle this, in my opinion. Underwood's plan goes down without a hitch but with tragic consequences and then there's some moral ambiguity instead of him being downright evil.

There's potential that the show switches gears and finds itself like so many others in the second season and turns a potential derailment into something brilliant, but as of right now, it's sill a derailment in my opinion. They need to seriously develop the supporting characters a lot more and make Francis less freakin' indestructible for sure. If we're getting him as a no-hold-barred psychopath I don't want the entire show to be him continuing to kick ass and manipulate everyone to his will while we're supposed to be cheering him on (which I was for most of the season). I'll probably wait for reviews before watching the second season.

Edited by Seth Rollins
  • Like 1

Holy fuck! Just watched the first episode of season two. I didn't see that coming. I'm shocked.

I know. I was expecting it cus the episode hinted at it and cus that's what happens in the BBC version. But not so quickly and definitely not in the first episode.

Well the whole investigation thing, while potentially threatening, is really small potatoes in scope compared to the high-stakes political war Francis wages against another major character (through 8 episodes so far).

Ya. Things get so much bigger in scope as the series go on. Just finishing up episode 13 with the boyfriend right now. 

• Like 1

How about ending? Is it purely open, like ending of S01, or something closer to 'The End', but with a way to continue? But no psecific spoielrs pease I'm just starting the 8th episode.

Similar to ending of Season 1. Frank gets what he wants, but there are plenty of loose ends for Season 3. Shit is gonna be very interesting next season.

Wow the season while a little dry in the middle opens and ends explosively.

Also the show manipulates you and makes you forget that the whole purpose is for Frank to Undermine the President totally not just become VP. 

Also, anyone just go WTF? 

When he became President, but lets be honest in reality he would likely do well as he can compromise.

• Like 1