ChD

Weekend Estimates (WB $19.5M, SLP $8.1M, BTTH $4.5M, SUG $1.5M)

I wouldn't have believed it if someone told me that TLS, Parker, and BTTH would open to less than $20m combined. Granted, the films don't look very good so I wouldn't go as far as to say that they can't open anything period. But it's disappointing nonetheless.

I am thinking saturday increases will be more muted than last week. Friday to Friday drops look good for most films. SLP actually increased !!!!!!!

Of course everything wpuld drop big time on sunday.

Though because it is a romantic comedy type movie, I think SLP will do better than most on Sunday.

Bruce Willis is going to bitch slap Arnold and Stallone in a few weeks with Die Hard 5.+100 million guaranteed.

That's why Arnold should have done either a really interesting project (he did have a decade to find a one after all) or another Terminator film; not something that, regardless if it's good or not, looks as if it is straight-to-DVD fare. 

Edited by Clavius

So why the separation of warm bodies 10pms from Friday? They haven't done that for the other films

Because that is the same distributor that brought you Kick Ass winning the weekend because of Thursday 10 PM numbers. Had Lionsgate separate them, HTTYD would have been considered the winner. But no, they refused even after BOM requested them to do it. My truth is that Kick Ass never won any weekend. And since then BOM always separates Thursday from Friday with Lionsgate movies.

I have no idea if it is because of this :lol:

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 3

LOL@ the Bruce Willis comments... Didn't "The Cold Light of Day" gross a total of 3.7 million?  Sure, the Bruce Willis fans will say that he had a supporting role in it, but the point is he was all over the trailer and the posters, he was a main headliner and the movie had a wide release. His so called fans and appeal should have pushed the movie further. Everybody has flops, including Brad Pitt recently with "Killing them Softly". It depends on how the movie connects with audiences. 

As for Satham's "Parker" opening a little bit better than Sly's and Arnie's latest efforts, well that movie also had Jennifer Lopez again as a headliner which I'm sure was responsible for at least a couple of millions.  They even said that one of the main groups that saw Parker was latinos, so without her, "Parker" probably would have grossed maybe 2-3 million less.

Anyways, the point if you had put Arnie or Sly in one of their established franchises, or maybe even in a less generic action movie, the result would have been different.  So using the upcoming Bruce Willis sequel Die Hard is irrelevant, everyone has flops.  Arnie and Sly will have other chances, but I agree that they are too old for these type of movies and need to come up with something original.

Edited by wboxoffice

I think the point is that Willis is being smart about his roles something Arnie has failed to do. Looper and Moonrise Kingdom were pretty good roles for him and the success of these movies guarantees that he will keep getting good roles. Die Hard 5 may bomb as well but it has better shot at being successful than any of Stallone and Arnold's upcoming movies.

Edited by TLK