63 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I liked "Iron Man" very much, it was perfectly paced and RDjr created a fun character with the vulnerable soul shielded behind a cynical asshole personality. Also, the fact that "Iron Man" is not a superhero by himself but relies on technics gave this a more realistic base for a good story - in stories with "real" superheroes, we always need those Super-Villains to endanger our protagonist; with Batman or IronMan it's far easier to create believable tension. Besides RFJ, Jeff Bridges and Gwyneth Paltrow were excellent - some reviewers thought Bridges did ham it up but hey, it's still a comic book movie, and I really liked his weasely performance!

• Like 1

Robert Downey Jr. is good, great even, but it's simply a case of someone being a show "saver" rather than a "stealer", Bridges plays a generic, money-grubbing businessman, Paltrow is pretty much a vessel for Tony to tell what to do every step of the way with nothing in the way of proactive, and Terrence was so one-dimensional and devoid of character that it is arguably his most forgettable role ever.

Still the best superhero origin movie for me. Good blend of humor, action, emotion, great character arcs, intriguing origin story. RDJ gave one of his best performances in the role of Tony Stark/Iron Man; and I'm happy that this role also helped renew, boosting his status in Hollywood.

The movie was also a dream come true for an Iron Man fan like me, to be able to see my favorite character get brought onscreen and done justice, it's just great.

Nothing in other superhero movies has come yet to replace the cave scenes as my favorite scenes ever; Avengers assembling scenes/tracking shots came kinda close though, but mainly cause I'm also an Avengers fan, so it's all sentimental.

I especially love the character of Yinsen, the kind man who helped shape and influenced the change in Tony Stark into the hero he is now.

Iron Monger might not be a great villain, not even close; but Obadiah Stane is, at least for me. The slimy, backstabbing, despicable, power-hungry industrialist bastard put great physical damages on Tony Stark. But what more cruel is that he's who Tony thought of as ally, friend, mentor; thus, the psychological and emotional damage he inflicted that sure to stay are much more of why I think he's the best Iron Man villain yet.

I adore Pepper Potts in this movie, not much in IM2, and she was okay for me in IM3. I love her for who she is, an independent, stern, charismatic, and kind woman. I also love her relationship with Tony Stark this early: flirty, teasing, snarky boss-secretary; I like how she understands him, how she can put up with his shit, but also can tell him off.

Overall, yes, it's definitely one on the Top 10 of my most favorite superhero movies, and the best origin story. It's an A

• Like 2

this movie has a different feel than the other two. It feels more "adult" and grounded. Tony Stark's wisecracking is also there but a bit more subdued compared to the sequels (similar to Jack Sparrow in the first POTC compared to the sequels).  The sequels honestly feel more fanciful, comedic and family friendly than this one

• Like 2

A thoroughly overrated film that basically plays out like a watered-down version of Batman Begins.  The supporting characters are all bland and one note in their writing and performance, particularly Terrence Howard, who I don't believe I've ever seen play a less interesting character with less conviction.

Best film from Marvel Studios and a long, long way ahead of the two sequels in this particular franchise. Great combination of humor and heart.

I agree. I like it way more than Avengers. RDJ is amazing as stark and character arc is portrayed very well. Weakness is mediocre supporting cast/villian. But one has to expect RDJ to overshadow everyone. 

A from me as well.