A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

8 hours ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Sacred burial ground?

Never mind, I probably don't want to know. :lol: 

I am not exactly sure what you meant, but I would be very surprised (and mildly disappointed) if you were casually dismissing the concerns of those Hawaiian natives whose cultural beliefs was disregarded by this entitled Hollywood brat.

I am sure that you have been around the block enough to know that her "apology" was Hollywood spin concocted by her PR people.

Yes, I truly hope this movie flops; she needs a reality check.

Edited by Cochofles

8 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I am not exactly sure what you meant, but I would be very surprised (and mildly disappointed) if you were casually dismissing the concerns of those Hawaiian natives whose cultural beliefs was disregarded by this entitled Hollywood brat.

I am sure that you have been around the block enough to know that her "apology" was Hollywood spin concocted by her PR people.

Tele means he has no idea what you're talking about. As in he has never heard of that particular incident.

Neither have I.

Edited by 4815162342

It's certainly not her fault but I find the massive age gaps between her and a lot of her onscreen love interests distracting (11 years separate her and Chris Pratt, in case you were wondering). She was way, way too young to be playing her character in American Hustle.

8 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

It's certainly not her fault but I find the massive age gaps between her and a lot of her onscreen love interests distracting (11 years separate her and Chris Pratt, in case you were wondering). She was way, way too young to be playing her character in American Hustle.

Well, it's a good thing she's only 26 so she can develop a long list of diverse roles before Hollywood sends her away in 14 years.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I don't really follow celeb news, so I wasn't aware what happened. Unfortunately, my curiosity got the better of me and I googled. Yeah, she acted very poorly three times: first, in doing it; secondly, by using it for laughs as a joke; and lastly, for that terrible non-apology that missed the point in why people were bothered by her actions. 

Too bad. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I honestly had no idea JLaw was such a polarizing personality. Dang.

I guess that's what happens when you go from an unknown to one of the biggest stars in the world in the span of just 5 years.

Polarizing on twitter. GA's never heard of this "incident" and never will and if they did they wouldn't care. Sacred Hawaiian rocks aren't exactly Vatican, Jerusalim or Mecca. Very few polarizing things crossover to GA. Very few. Twitter shitstorms which happen hourly are not among them.

That said, I saw the video and my first reaction, when she was doing rather lewd butt and pelvis movement, was "girl, you are heading into unnecessary trouble. You should know better." But than, she had a glass in her hand so maybe she was tipsy and lost control. Pratt's face did say "Yikes". 

The only thing that upset me is that she joked about almost killing someone. Getting your skull squashed by a rock is no joke.

Edited by Valonqar

Jlaw can be brat and honestly thinks her shit don't think. That story was dumb. Like how would you feel if some dumbass made a joke about rubbing their ass all over a close family members grave stone and breaking it? That's literally what this is equivalent to. As if we don't shit on Natives and their culture enough already. People who think it's not a big deal are just insensitive douchebags as well. 

Sure twitter can be excessive with it's backlash but she seems out of touch and some of it was warranted. Even Pratt looked very uncomfortable. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 2

JLAW is interesting as she was darling and ever since her picture release it seems she lost that golden aura around her a bit.

I think she is a talent but I dislike her role in some films.

It seems she is playing JLAW then the character at times. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

She had told this story back when filming Catching Fire, which is when it happened.  At that time she also said that there had been a set meeting to inform people that the rocks were sacred, but it was before she got on set from another project, and she had missed it.  She was playing herself as being the idiot who didn't have a clue. 

This time, Graham Norton sprang the story on her, and from her face she didn't see it coming. She then did the absolute wrong thing, and instead of saying 'lets not discuss my youthful idiocy, you should hear about the time when..." with another story, she dove into it and kept digging her grave deeper.  She apologized for offending people and noted that she was trying to show what a fool she was, not to disrespect the site.  It was one of her poorer public moments, but I do think that those whose errors are not televised are trying to make it a witch hunt. And I am not speaking of actual Hawaiians who might genuinely feel their beliefs and culture were slighted, who certainly have the right to feel that way, but those who have no tie at all to the culture, but who don't like her, who are trying to turn insensitivity and laying a social brick on tv into a sign of evil character. 

She isn't remotely perfect, but this seems to be a classic twitter overreaction, to me.

42 minutes ago, trifle said:

She had told this story back when filming Catching Fire, which is when it happened.  At that time she also said that there had been a set meeting to inform people that the rocks were sacred, but it was before she got on set from another project, and she had missed it.  She was playing herself as being the idiot who didn't have a clue. 

This time, Graham Norton sprang the story on her, and from her face she didn't see it coming. She then did the absolute wrong thing, and instead of saying 'lets not discuss my youthful idiocy, you should hear about the time when..." with another story, she dove into it and kept digging her grave deeper.  She apologized for offending people and noted that she was trying to show what a fool she was, not to disrespect the site.  It was one of her poorer public moments, but I do think that those whose errors are not televised are trying to make it a witch hunt. And I am not speaking of actual Hawaiians who might genuinely feel their beliefs and culture were slighted, who certainly have the right to feel that way, but those who have no tie at all to the culture, but who don't like her, who are trying to turn insensitivity and laying a social brick on tv into a sign of evil character. 

She isn't remotely perfect, but this seems to be a classic twitter overreaction, to me.

I don't think she's evil but she tries so hard to be relatable and funny sometimes to her detriment and she says stupid shit all the time. It was one thing to tell the story about being dumb but the story was told in such a mocking, disrespectful tone. She basically made herself a target. Sorry not sorry. Racial and cultural insensitivity is not funny. 

And oh poor movie star millionaire! People hating on her on twitter. LOL give me a break. Twitter can be excessive sometimes but it's just twitter. It would have been over by tomorrow. 

23 minutes ago, ban1o said:

I don't think she's evil but she tries so hard to be relatable and funny sometimes to her detriment and she says stupid shit all the time. It was one thing to tell the story about being dumb but the story was told in such a mocking, disrespectful tone. She basically made herself a target. Sorry not sorry. Racial and cultural insensitivity is not funny. 

And oh poor movie star millionaire! People hating on her on twitter. LOL give me a break. Twitter can be excessive sometimes but it's just twitter. It would have been over by tomorrow. 

she did make herself a target, and it was insensitive, but I'm convinced she was mocking herself, because that is her MO.  Every star on a promo tour tries to be relatable.  The media made a huge meme of it for her, and for some others, and it can be irritating. Hate her if it gives you pleasure.

Regarding twitter hate, I just feel that those same accounts that circulate 'reasons to hate Jennifer Lawrence' lists alternatively with nude pictures of her stolen from her account, when there isn't something in the news they can dig their teeth into to go after her, are doing something much worse than she has in any instance where she has been insensitive in the moment.  What they are doing is premeditated, vicious, and continuing. And the target being a 'rich movie star' doesn't make it ok, imho.

30 minutes ago, ban1o said:

This film will probably be a crowd pleaser but I'm not sure how it will do review wise. It will probably be a decent hit though. I wonder how Rogue One will effect it. 

Rogue One will be huge. This will have to be attractive enough on its own to be the 'second' movie people see in that period.  Fortunately for Passengers, people tend to go to more than one movie over the holidays.

I do think Rogue One is one reason they started showing more romance in the trailers, though.  They are showing that Passengers has alternative things to offer as well as sci fi.

Edited by trifle

21 minutes ago, trifle said:

she did make herself a target, and it was insensitive, but I'm convinced she was mocking herself, because that is her MO.  Every star on a promo tour tries to be relatable.  The media made a huge meme of it for her, and for some others, and it can be irritating. Hate her if it gives you pleasure.

Regarding twitter hate, I just feel that those same accounts that circulate 'reasons to hate Jennifer Lawrence' lists alternatively with nude pictures of her stolen from her account, when there isn't something in the news they can dig their teeth into to go after her, are doing something much worse than she has in any instance where she has been insensitive in the moment.  What they are doing is premeditated, vicious, and continuing. And the target being a 'rich movie star' doesn't make it ok, imho.

lol a lot of the accounts hating on her are the people who are really into social justice. I highly doubt they were the ones circulating her nudes. 

I don't hate her and I think she's talented but her personality can be a little grating sometimes. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ban1o said:

lol a lot of the accounts hating on her are the people who are really into social justice. I highly doubt they were the ones circulating her nudes. 

I don't hate her and I think she's talented but her personally can be a little grating sometimes. 

Agreed.  There are those who are focused on this particular issue, but then there is the other group ready to turn any bad moment into a huge scandal, jumping on any bandwagon. Those are the ones I was referring to.

Here is another new TV spot.  I am not watching any more of them, myself.  There may be spoilers.

5 minutes ago, trifle said:

Agreed.  There are those who are focused on this particular issue, but then there is the other group ready to turn any bad moment into a huge scandal, jumping on any bandwagon. Those are the ones I was referring to.

aah I can see your point. People jumping on the hate bandwagon. 

Rogue One is space themed as well but this will leans more towards girls so it's possible that this could take away the female audience that would potentially see Star Wars. Like what would be a better date movie? Passengers or Rogue One? 

I think reviews will make a big difference. If it's under 50 on RT that will negatively effect its gross. 

• Like 1