A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

This should resonate emotionally but it just doesn't (personal opinion that may not be shared). That's the problem I have with previews. May be poor Sony marketing or maybe the movie fails to establish any real danger for the glamorous duo and that's reflected on marketing. It looks fun with some inventive action but human element is lacking. 

Everyone involved with the movie says this is about the human element. Maybe that just doesn't display as well in short clips, or maybe showing that part would show too mcuh.  We'll see, I guess!

Edited by trifle

7 minutes ago, trifle said:

Everyone involved with the movie says this is about the human element. Maybe that just doesn't display as well in short clips, or maybe showing that part would show too mcuh.  We'll see, I guess!

it gotta be so accentuating action is puzzling since Rogue One is all about that. More emphasis on human element given the star power and that it's the heart of the movie would work better as counterprogramming. What's the point of advertising a potentially epic romance as another run-of-the-mill action flick, directly competing with another space actioner? 

18 minutes ago, misafeco said:

How would you market this movie? (Releasing the first trailer this late isn't entirely Sony's fault.)

But they could have released other things, they have been releasing quite a bit in the last couple of weeks.  Some stills or an interview or something with a teaser would have been good, imho.  Also, this last 'trailer' doesnt seem like a trailer, it is poorly cut imho.  I still think the movie looks awesome, but I think it could have been marketed better.

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

it gotta be so accentuating action is puzzling since Rogue One is all about that. More emphasis on human element given the star power and that it's the heart of the movie would work better as counterprogramming. What's the point of advertising a potentially epic romance as another run-of-the-mill action flick, directly competing with another space actioner? 

Maybe they were getting feedback that it was being viewed solely as a love story by some who wouldn't be going because of that but for the sci fi and visual spectacle.  To be honest, the females I know who want to see Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt together in a love story are already sold on it.  I know that is anecdotal, and an echo chamber to some extent, but it might be why the last focuses more on action.

3 minutes ago, trifle said:

But they could have released other things, they have been releasing quite a bit in the last couple of weeks.  Some stills or an interview or something with a teaser would have been good, imho.  Also, this last 'trailer' doesnt seem like a trailer, it is poorly cut imho.  I still think the movie looks awesome, but I think it could have been marketed better.

Nobody cares about stills and interviews outside of this forum. :D But okay I get your point.

2 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Nobody cares about stills and interviews outside of this forum. :D But okay I get your point.

Well, actually, twitter cares about them.  But I'm not saying Sony should hire me for marketing..... they should hire Disney!

3 minutes ago, trifle said:

Well, actually, twitter cares about them.  But I'm not saying Sony should hire me for marketing..... they should hire Disney!

Nah. Disney doesn't know how to market original films (apart from animation). They are good at building brands. The BFG or Tomorrowland were big bombs.

Edited by misafeco
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, misafeco said:

Nah. Disney doesn't know how to market original films (apart from animation). They are good at building brands. The BFG or Tomorrowland were big bombs.

This man speaks the truth. There were other big bombs. It's all about brand and animation with them, which is wonderful really, but I am pretty sure Passengers would be a big fat flop at the hands of the same marketing team of their live-action movies that don't heavily rely on a strong brand.

Also, people are gonna eat up with movie just fine, it should do similar numbers to Interstellar.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1

I'm going to have to miss the interview... I'm trusting it will be up on their site tomorrow!

edit - looks like I don't have to wait until tomorrow!

SPOILER WARNING it isn't just an interview it is a bunch of behind the scenes stuff, and while it was interesting, I don't want to see any more of those so I can see it first in the theater.  Watch at your own risk.

@CJohn or @Water Bottle is there a way to make this not 'autoplay'?  It is hugely annoying but I don't know how to fix it. I'd appreciate your help!

Edited by trifle