A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Star Wars doesn't attract female filmgoers?  My mom fucking loves Star Wars and has seen every movie with me.  We saw TFA opening night, and we will see Rogue One opening night (she's also excited for Passengers too).  Plenty of female students at my school are excited too.

I don't know what the male/female split for TFA's OW was, and I'm too lazy to find it, so for now, I'll provide some anecdotal evidence :).

Men made up the bulk of ticket buyers, comprising 58% of the opening weekend audience.

http://variety.com/2015/film/box-office/star-wars-force-awakens-box-office-records-1201665753/

I won't be able to see this or La La Land in theaters because they will open here in January... Rogue One on the other hand will open date to date with the rest of the world.

Cruel world :sadben:

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Star Wars doesn't attract female filmgoers?  My mom fucking loves Star Wars and has seen every movie with me.  We saw TFA opening night, and we will see Rogue One opening night (she's also excited for Passengers too).  Plenty of female students at my school are excited too.

I don't know what the male/female split for TFA's OW was, and I'm too lazy to find it, so for now, I'll provide some anecdotal evidence :).

I think there are a lot females who think Star Wars is for nerds and geeks but I would argue it is very widely watched by females in North America but more on a casual basis than a fan base basis.

Also I  think they have more attachment to the main story and not the side stories or details.

Make no mistake in North America the Star Wars fanbase is bigger then any other handily 

5 hours ago, XO21 said:

:lol::lol:.

Worry not cause this may bank with the female moviegoers who won't touch Rouge One with a ten foot pole

Even as a huge fan of Jlaw, and someone who loves her even in her [seemingly] widely panned X-Men work, I have got to tell you that my interest for Passengers has dwindled down to almost non-existent levels, while my desire to see Rogue One: A Star Wars Story  is at an all-time high. 

Star Wars trumps everything else in my book (except Wonder Woman and every upcoming Avatar sequel).

• Like 3

Seems to me like most everyone here expects this to be critically panned, so I guess at least this means we tempered our collective expectations and anything better than an outright pan would be a nice surprise.

Yay? 

I do have to say, I think Chris and Jen were absolutely awesome on Graham Norton, and I've seen a lot of people on Twitter react positively to their appearance there and say it made them excited for the movie.

Thats anecdotal, of course, but I always felt like the best thing this movie had going for it was how charming they both are. I hope it's enough (and of course it might not have to be if the movie is fun and entertaining).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cochofles said:

Even as a huge fan of Jlaw, and someone who loves her even in her [seemingly] widely panned X-Men work, I have got to tell you that my interest for Passengers has dwindled down to almost non-existent levels, while my desire to see Rogue One: A Star Wars Story  is at an all-time high. 

Star Wars trumps everything else in my book (except Wonder Woman and every upcoming Avatar sequel).

I'm not a female but I agree with you. I had interest in seeing this when I read the synopsis but the trailers that have come out have led me to not even be interested in this. I was looking forward to Pratt and Lawerence together but not anymore. 

Now Rogue One....I'm fucking excited to see that. Each trailer that's come has got me excited to see it more and more. The complete opposite of Passengers. I've got my tickets for opening night for Rogue One. 

2 hours ago, JennaJ said:

Seems to me like most everyone here expects this to be critically panned, so I guess at least this means we tempered our collective expectations and anything better than an outright pan would be a nice surprise.

Yay? 

I do have to say, I think Chris and Jen were absolutely awesome on Graham Norton, and I've seen a lot of people on Twitter react positively to their appearance there and say it made them excited for the movie.

Thats anecdotal, of course, but I always felt like the best thing this movie had going for it was how charming they both are. I hope it's enough (and of course it might not have to be if the movie is fun and entertaining).

I agree. Also, I don't know if the messy marketing is going to affect the box office all that much, to be honest. Most people probably only see one of the trailers, and to them it probably doesn't seem too inconsistent. The spread that fun talk show appearances tend to get certainly can't hurt.

I'm sure I have a little confirmation bias here, but I'm feeling pretty good about its chances.

• Like 1

I'm feeling great about its chances over seas.  We'll have to see how critics here treat it, and how much the GA listens if they treat it badly. I think it looks great.  I agree Sony's marketing seems all over the place, but having read the screenplay, I know it isn't just in one genre of film or another, and I think they are having trouble addressing that.  I think their original trailer did it best.  Then the clip of Jen swimming was terrific. 

• Like 2

Yeah, the first trailer was definitely the best. I went to see Fantastic Beasts last weekend and I was so relieved that they showed the first trailer instead of the second one, especially for Thanksgiving weekend (this was in the US).

• Like 1

Passengers tickets are on sale in the US!!!

WHY they haven't announced this, I have NO CLUE.  Sony UK sure made sure we all knew when they went on sale in the UK.

http://www.fandango.com/passengers_185721/movieoverview

Are we sure Sony US has a marketing department?

----

edit: OK, maybe I was a little premature.  AMC theaters have tickets and they are a great chain and probably have theaters near you.  But the tickets aren't yet available at other theaters that I have checked so if you want a particular (non-AMC) theater, you may have to wait a bit.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

What's going on this thread? Why is everyone so pessimist? Didn't Niepelhan already watched it and said it's a solid 60%-70%? Also, there's nothing on the footage released so far that show a movie that would be "panned by critics". 

That was his first comment about it yes but he has since become more and more aggressive about it, not sure why. Check the last page or so from the Buzz and Tracking thread, for example.

• Like 1

Stop listening to random people. 

Mr. Nile is a person like you and me with a personal taste and very clear preferences.

His word is only taken so serious, becaus he gives us numbers. 

It shouldn't be, as it's mostly about hearsay and it turned out wrong for Moana.

Don't let people mess with own preferences. 

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 3