A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

2 hours ago, LonePirate said:

I think we have the first winner of what critic/media organization will write a bogus review in exchange for a name check during a television commercial for the film.

Of course Access Hollywood is a junketeer. It's not a bogus review. They aren't in the business of critical reviews, they're in the business of selling glam and stars. This isn't a knock on them, it's just incorrect to assume they're one thing when they're not.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cochofles said:

Wow.

That's quite a whole different dynamic from the Jlaw/Pratt combo.

I wonder if this premise could've worked better as a thriller/horror-in-space kinda film.

The romantic drama part is what sets off the "Ew, creepy!!!" alarms.

Absolutely. Reeves/McAdams in a psychological thriller based on this premise would be way more interesting and honest IMO. Initially, it was supposed to be about desperation and isolation and spent a lot of time with the male character as he slowly goes mad from loneliness before he ever sees Aurora. But Sony wasn't going to sign, pay, and promote Lawrence without her being in most of the movie so, her awakening now happens much too early in the narrative. As a result, his desperation is far less compelling because we see so little of it and because she's around for so long, the movie pretends it's a romance with a twist instead of a much darker story that needs to be dealt with in the raw, messy fashion it demands.

• Like 3

It's getting fairly decent reviews in Germany. Saw two reviews with 7/10. 

I'm going to check this out by myself, but i'm really starting to avoid RT, as they pretty much write down every commercial blockbuster that is not coming from Disney these days.
They lost me.

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 4

On 12/12/2016 at 6:32 PM, Cochofles said:

39 % Rotten 
Average Rating: 5.2/10 
Reviews Counted: 194 
Fresh: 75 
Rotten: 120 
Pratt and Lawrence valiantly try to elevate the material with their individual charms, but there is a palpable lack of romantic chemistry, while the director, Morten Tyldum, fails to steer John Spaihts' undercooked script into a narratively cohesive whole.

7 hours ago, Cochofles said:

TOMATOMETER 

31%

WANT TO SEE 

Wow, @Cochofles almost nailed it exactly.

• Like 6

Saw it, loved it.  It wasn't perfect, but no other film I have seen this year is either, and this made me happier than any other.  Maybe the relief that there truly is no 'fatal flaw' added to the glow I have, but I am just going to enjoy it.

200.gif

Edited by trifle
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, EmmaPeel said:

Absolutely. Reeves/McAdams in a psychological thriller based on this premise would be way more interesting and honest IMO. Initially, it was supposed to be about desperation and isolation and spent a lot of time with the male character as he slowly goes mad from loneliness before he ever sees Aurora. But Sony wasn't going to sign, pay, and promote Lawrence without her being in most of the movie so, her awakening now happens much too early in the narrative. As a result, his desperation is far less compelling because we see so little of it and because she's around for so long, the movie pretends it's a romance with a twist instead of a much darker story that needs to be dealt with in the raw, messy fashion it demands.

Interesting points. I can see why the studio would go for the "safer" approach. Ironically, this supposedly safer, bland, dull take clearly retains its yucky, ethically awful core, and the film manages to gloss over it in a quite mediocre fashion. I found this review from the New York Times, which uses "timidity" as a major point of criticism, quite telling:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/20/movies/passengers-review-jennifer-lawrence-chris-pratt.html?_r=0

“Passengers” increasingly succumbs to timidity and begins shrinking into a bland science-fiction adventure whose feats of daring and skill feel stale and secondhand. In its haste to tie up loose ends as efficiently as possible, “Passengers” becomes a banal, formulaic pastiche of dozens of other like-minded space operas in which the human drama gives way to technological awe. And Ms. Lawrence’s light softens to a 40-watt glow. Except for one special effect, its action scenes are anything but awesome. None are more disappointing than the couple’s perfunctory, suspense-free spacewalks.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Poseidon said:

It's getting fairly decent reviews in Germany. Saw two reviews with 7/10. 

I'm going to check this out by myself, but i'm really starting to avoid RT, as they pretty much write down every commercial blockbuster that is not coming from Disney these days.
They lost me.

Yes, I saw one pretty bad review for it on a not very frequented website and two 7/10 reviews on high(er) frequented websites. One of the reviews says: Who expects much depth or crazy twists will be disappointed but who seeks for an entertaining, visual very beautiful space movie with good main actors should watch it.
I knew nothing about this movie until I saw the trailer in theaters and I liked it so I hope it's better than RT says.

Marketing has also started in Germany in theaters, TV and the internet (it is released here January the 5th).

Edited by el sid
  • Like 1

Liked it a lot. First twenty minutes is a bit slow but its emotionally galvanizing and i loved the chemistry between the two leads. Lived up to what i was expecting.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Liked it a lot. First twenty minutes is a bit slow but its emotionally galvanizing and i loved the chemistry between the two leads. Lived up to what i was expecting.

Do you understand why critics talk about a fatally flawed story ?

Do you see where they are coming from or are they over-reacting over something trivial ?