Fri 5,65 5,33 105,92
Sat 4,63 4,24 109,04
Sun 5,88 5,25 112,04
Mon 4,55 4,37 104,21

Gross to date 66,01 59,95 110,10
Legs (5 day) 2,95 2,84 104,02
Final gross* 110,36 102,5158 107,66
*if Passengers holds the last day's %  

This is where the fun begins. TGWTDT had incredible weekday holds and a terrific 3rd weekend. It made 42.5M more after Monday. Passengers needs only 34M (80%).

• Like 5

Pretty good numbers.. With big openings still to come incl China is now safe to say that this is no way near a BOMB.

Slightly disapointing DOM but thats it. OS seems to be doing very good

• Like 5

On January 1, 2017 at 11:06 AM, trifle said:

In the review thread Tele said he'd found this year's Jurassic World.  Some wouldn't take that as an insult.

Bit of an injoke on this board, as Tele DESPISES JW. :)

• Like 3

y comparison, Passengers is obviously behind. Two financial analysts outside the studio tells us that $400M worldwide theatrical would be the breakeven number for this movie after a $120M production cost and global $150M $124M P&A.

How the hell the breakeven is that high. PA + budget x2 rofl

30 minutes ago, XO21 said:

y comparison, Passengers is obviously behind. Two financial analysts outside the studio tells us that $400M worldwide theatrical would be the breakeven number for this movie after a $120M production cost and global $150M $124M P&A.

x2.5 is the industry standard. But with elaborate accounting it's impossible to say how profitable a movie is for sure.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, XO21 said:

They're probably doing nothing more than a rough doubling of both production and marketing expenses. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, XO21 said:

I think bringing PA up all the time has something to do with the fact that Passengers doing just decent/mediocre numbers isn't the most exciting story to report. If it isn't a runaway hit then the most interesting story is that it's flopping until it isn't. Back in April when it became clear the first couple of weeks that BvS won't even come close to the billion mark, Deadline and I think other places brought up PA and how the movie needs 800 or 850 million just to break even because "BvS isn't exactly the mega hit Warner hoped for" isn't as interesting as "BvS flopping, Snyder might be fired, DCU is up in the air". After the movie ended its run the flop talk kind of died.

Same thing will happen when Passengers ends up with something between 300-400m WW.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I think bringing PA up all the time has something to do with the fact that Passengers doing just decent/mediocre numbers isn't the most exciting story to report. If it isn't a runaway hit then the most interesting story is that it's flopping until it isn't. Back in April when it became clear the first couple of weeks that BvS won't even come close to the billion mark, Deadline and I think other places brought up PA and how the movie needs 800 or 850 million just to break even because "BvS isn't exactly the mega hit Warner hoped for" isn't as interesting as "BvS flopping, Snyder might be fired, DCU is up in the air". After the movie ended its run the flop talk kind of died.

Same thing will happen when Passengers ends up with something between 300-400m WW.

Sony was probably hoping for 600-700m WW, but 300-400m WW  isn't bad, Passengers will end up being their highest grossing film of the year. I also think it's a film that's going to have a long shelf life on tv and streaming. In the end, what hurt the film was bad reviews because Lawrence/Pratt definitely helped it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, XO21 said:

More like how is it that low. 400 mill WW revenue incl China can't give Sony 244 mill back in their pockets unless most of it would come from DOM BO.. 

110 mill DOM,90 mill China and 200 mill from rest of Int markets will NOT give Sony 244 mill

1 hour ago, XO21 said:

I saw this earlier. Deadline is literally just inventing a number out of thin air to spin the story. Notice the ridiculous fake "sources", two nameless "analysts" not affiliated with Sony. LOL. I see no evidence, especially given the history of this project, that Sony spent more on marketing than on the entire production value of the film. Deadline is essentially claiming that break even is 4 times production costs. I call bs.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Isn't Jennifer supposed to get 30% off of any profit this makes? Just based on that I'd expect an inflated P&A cost or whtaever other accounting gymnastics they can use.

this movie will never officially make a profit.

Technically neither did any Harry Pottter film. Creative accounting.

2 minutes ago, Lizzy said:

So is the rule of thumb 2.5x production budget or 3x? 

Depends on so many things.

A 1 mill horror movie does'ent profit in theaters with a 3 mill gross because P&A costs a certain amount of money.

But a 50 mill movie is in good shape if it does 150 mill

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XO21 said:

They didn't start advertising untilnafter the first trailer came out in September; this isn't something they had a huge campaign for.  They had two premiers, and I suspect Wanda threw the one in China.  Most of the promotion was Jen and Pratt going on talk shows and speaking to press.  One of the things their salaries paid for was that media wants access to them so they don't have to pay for basic coverage in any sense.  I'm sure it cost money, but that article even got the budget wrong: it is $110M.  Since they aren't from the studio, I figure they are talking about 'an industry standard' blockbuster, not what was spent by Tom "The Miser" Rothmann, who laughably only released a single poster image, domestically.

I'm planning to use the  conservative 3x budget figure, and if/when it crosses $330M I figure it is making money. 

Edited by trifle

13 minutes ago, trifle said:

They didn't start advertising until September; this isn't something they had a huge campaign for.  They had two premiers, and I suspect Wanda threw the one in China.  Most of the promotion was Jen and Pratt going on talk shows and speaking to press.  One of the things their salaries paid for was that media wants access to them so they don't have to pay for basic coverage in any sense.  I'm sure it cost money, but that article even got the budget wrong: it is $110M.  Since they aren't from the studio, I figure they are talking about 'an industry standard' blockbuster, not what was spent by Tom "The Miser" Rothmann, who laughably only released a single poster image, domestically.

I'm planning to use the  conservative 3x budget figure, and if/when it crosses $330M I figure it is making money. 

Anyone familar with the history of this project would laugh out loud that Rothman supposedly authorized marketing costs that exceeded the production costs for the movie. It was clear that he was doing everything humanly possible to keep the costs of marketing as cheap as could be. I get that the flop narrative is more fun, but Deadline was going way beyond the call of duty in terms of manufacturing fake news. LOL. I'm almost beginning to believe this is a conspiracy by the evil Disney corporation after all. :)

My guess is Rothman stuck to a strict 3 times budget rule. 

Edited by straggler

2 hours ago, JennaJ said:

Isn't Jennifer supposed to get 30% off of any profit this makes? Just based on that I'd expect an inflated P&A cost or whtaever other accounting gymnastics they can use.

this movie will never officially make a profit.

She gets $20M against 30% of the profits.  The studio would need to acknowledge more than $66.666667M profit before Jen gets more than $20M.

Edited by trifle