The Exorcist (1973)  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

One of my favorite books, but the movie didn't thrill me as much.  This may seem sacreligious (no pun intended), but I would love to see a modern remake. 

A remake? Don't any of the 83 exorcism movies that came out in the last ten years satisfy you enough?

• Like 1

I saw it for the first time and was waiting to see "the scariest film ever made" and I'm still waiting.  I thought the performances were good and it was an interesting story, but I didn't think it was scary at all.  B

Yes I know.  I almost feel guilty for not liking this film.  I just found it laughably stupid.  I am in the uber minority, I know.  lol

Haha. I mean, I'm not its biggest defender or anything, but still, it's a pretty effective and solid movie; it holds up reasonably well and it's far more daring (in many respects) than most movies these days. I've never believed in exorcism or anything so that angle holds no scares for me, though.

• Like 1

I admit I also didn't enjoy it that much, but I suspect it has more to do with how much tamer horror was when it was released and just how influential it's been on many horror movies since then. As a result, it seems somewhat tame and cliched, even though it inspired those cliches and lead to horror movies becoming more.... well.... horrific.

So while I don't enjoy it much, I can at least appreciate it. And some lesser-known scenes I found were fantastic. That shot with Merrin and the Pazuzu statue at sunset, near the beginning, was chilling.

the exorcism scene was beautiful. a lot of uninteresting 'character development' though, and the underyling message?

it's a religious parable in which moral scourge is a constant threat, one that can infect the soul with obscenity and bestiality if guard is lowered. its physical manifestations cannot be cured by the twin medical temples of pharmacy and psychiatry, as this is not an evil of the material world, but the spiritual one. instead, only ritualistic praying and beating can cleanse the soul of one's sins.

personally, i think "keep your fingers away from my goddamned ----" is a good phrase for girls to learn.

5/10

On 4/22/2013 at 4:27 PM, CoolioD1 said:

A remake? Don't any of the 83 exorcism movies that came out in the last ten years satisfy you enough?

Coolio got younger Clay with this one, can't lie.

This shit is great. Still not as good as the book, but just visceral and non stop. I've turned around on it. I still think this book has the setting and depth of themes and great characters for it to elevate above the other trashy movies of this type if remade, though. (own me again, Coolio)