Iron Man 3 (2013)  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

What size screen did you see it?

Adequately big enough for enjoyment..? :P I had to watch it in 3D though, and there was nothing 3D-worthy in this film. The weekend before I had watched The Croods in 3D and I found that movie FAR better suited for the format. 

Edited by Spidey Freak

Adequately big enough for enjoyment..? :P I had to watch it in 3D though, and there was nothing 3D-worthy in this film. The weekend before I had watched The Croods in 3D and I found that movie FAR better suited for the format. 

I may go to a 2D show.Thank god the theater near me schedules some 2D shows.

This film was sooo bad, I honestly don't know why people give so much money to Marvel Studios. Everything was predictable, from the parties Tony Stark attend to the way they introduce the villains, always the same "villain appears and almost destroys everything but nothing happens because it's not the end of the movie yet", just like hapenned in IM2 and TA.

What about the action scenes? They were horrible, every Iron Man movie they release has worse action scenes, only missiles, explosions and armors flying everywhere, almost Michael Bay level, it's like a VFX show-off. And then people wonder why this type of movie doesn't win the Visual Effects academy award, why would they award such an uninspired movie?

Then you have cheesy scenes like the kid finding all the cool stuff in his bedroom and smiling. And some out-of-nowhere stuff, for example, Killian spits fire???? And he only did this once? I bet he could burn the shit out of everyone, but he just spits fire once, like it's a one-charge shot. Also, so many Disney Deaths, like always, they create all that downer depressive mood and make us believe someone died or is about to die, and then, suddenly, YAY HE'S ALIVE!!! 

4/10, the same rating I gave to IM2. Both suck, the first one is good, but I knew sequels would just became worse and worse. Anyway, Marvel Studios is on a roll, so keep the bad movies coming.

• Like 5

This is a pure Shane Black movie. Which is what makes it so good. I recently rewatched Lethal Weapon and Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang and was half expecting Iron Man 3 to be somewhat watered down by Marvel/Disney and the huge expectations he was under.... but it just isn't. At all. The humour is spot on and makes this easily the funniest Iron Man movie. The voiceover could be straight out of KKBB. The frickin' Christmas songs! Even the Mandarin reveal (which BTW is hilarious and the best scene in the movie) is pure Black-style subversion.

It's not perfect - the third act battle is a bit weak, and Guy Pearce doesn't make as good a villain as I thought he would. But it's entertaining all the way through thanks to a good script and RDJ - and unlike the second one it feels like a complete three act movie instead of a commercial for a different movie.

Less good than TA but comfortably the best IM movie: B

Edited by yads

This film was sooo bad, I honestly don't know why people give so much money to Marvel Studios. Everything was predictable, from the parties Tony Stark attend to the way they introduce the villains, always the same "villain appears and almost destroys everything but nothing happens because it's not the end of the movie yet", just like hapenned in IM2 and TA.What about the action scenes? They were horrible, every Iron Man movie they release has worse action scenes, only missiles, explosions and armors flying everywhere, almost Michael Bay level, it's like a VFX show-off. And then people wonder why this type of movie doesn't win the Visual Effects academy award, why would they award such an uninspired movie?Then you have cheesy scenes like the kid finding all the cool stuff in his bedroom and smiling. And some out-of-nowhere stuff, for example, Killian spits fire???? And he only did this once? I bet he could burn the shit out of everyone, but he just spits fire once, like it's a one-charge shot. Also, so many Disney Deaths, like always, they create all that downer depressive mood and make us believe someone died or is about to die, and then, suddenly, YAY HE'S ALIVE!!! 4/10, the same rating I gave to IM2. Both suck, the first one is good, but I knew sequels would just became worse and worse. Anyway, Marvel Studios is on a roll, so keep the bad movies coming.

I lost all interest when you decided to compare the action to a Michael Bay movie in a negative way. That is a GOOD thing. People like you seem to think they are sophisticated by insulting Bays eye for action yet all you're doing is making yourself look like an idiot. Bay may have problems, but his eye for action isn't one of them. Edited by Jessie

Gee?? You mean like how TDKR Ended with Bruce and Salina being in that Cafe in Paris and presumed to be dead at 1st, but were much alive when Alfred saw them??? Ooops.... :stooges:  :stooges: 

I've never seen TDKR.

And no, I don't think it's a good thing to be compared to Michael Bay. Did you think the action in Transformers was good?

I've never seen TDKR. And no, I don't think it's a good thing to be compared to Michael Bay. Did you think the action in Transformers was good?

Uh yes, along with the GA and the most respected film makers of our time whom also think his action is good. Its just pretentious critics and the odd Internet nerd trying to sound smart but ultimitely they just have no fucking idea what they are talking about. :)

Uh yes, along with the GA and the most respected film makers of our time whom also think his action is good. Its just pretentious critics and the odd Internet nerd trying to sound smart but ultimitely they just have no fucking idea what they are talking about. :)

Posted Image

• Like 1

This movie was very strange for a comic book movie. I don't think that is the movie people are expecting. It's more of a Tony Stark movie.

As a movie it had its moments but in the end it was a lot of "meh" moments. 

6.5/10

Could this be RDJ's last IM movie?

By the way, is there a post credit scene ?

Yeah. It turns out that when Stark is narrating throughout the film, he's talking to Banner, and he basically says he fell asleep at the beginning of his story. People laughed, that's about it. Nothing major, just a nice comic touch though it isn't worth sitting through the credits for. Mind you if you look closely, there's usually some funny names listed in the credits like Paul Mycock etc etc, this helps the time pass. Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1

Just got back from watching it, and i have mixed feelings about this. I was thoroughly enjoying this movie. Thought it had a sound build up in the beginning.... UNTIL the twist. Now i have no problem with the mandarin being not the real mandarin. But it kinda hampered the rest of the movie. Sir Ben was doing a great job. He sounded and acted menacing. There was real hate in his words. Then you find out he is just Trevor. Guy pierce as good as he was, is no Mandarin. 

People said this movie was really funny and they couldn't stop laughing....really? what part? There was only 2 occasions that i laughed out loud, and in one of those scenes i was the only one laughing in the auditorium. 

Also why is the Mandarin called Mandarin if he is not Chinese and has no connection to China????  

Tony Stark can't sleep since the Avengers but yet has no eye bags lol. Not really too much of an issue, but he seemed healthy looking so kinda made the insomniac part weird. 

For people saying this is better than the Avengers. We have a saying here in the U.K....'You should have gone to Specsavers'.

Action was decent, nothing wow. 

Overall a good movie, but overrated IMO. Miles better than IM2 though.

IM3- 7/10

• Like 2

It's a Shane Black film from start to finish. That means a lot of twists, some pretty inventive action scenes, lots and lots of funny one-liners and a bit of 80's action nostalgia. It also has some pretty bold plot twists for the superhero genre. The villain twist (which i found great) and the fact that it should be called Tony Stark and not Iron Man might turn some people off. I'm not one of them.

This time it's more personal for Tony Stark and the film digs a bit deeper in his personality. He shows him vulnerable, full of panic attacks. But it never gets too heavy or melodramatic. It never forgets the lighter nature of the franchise and it really is very, very funny. As a comedy is a solid A actually. It was entertaining all the way and it never dragged. There were some pretty cool and well made action scenes like the attack in Stark's mansion and the fight wearing half the suit. Plus it has a couple of things to say about what separates man from the suit, about what you really see and what you think you see.

RDJ is brilliant here. He's always great as Stark but this is his best interprentation of the role. And Kingsley is hilarious.

There are some negative things like the really busy but only half exciting action finale. The weak reason that Pearce wanted RDJ for and the fact that the villain wasn't really memorable.

Long story short, I consider it the best Iron Man film to date. Not as good as The Avengers but still the second best Marvel movie.

*Spoilers in review*

So I saw this at an advance screening, and I feel betrayed as an Iron Man fan. Very betrayed. I'm almost convinced now Marvel/Disney is more concerned about the money than a quality film.

Now I like most of Shane Black's work, mainly the Lethal Weapon series. Now, as a Shane Black movie, this was pretty decent. Not amazing, but decent. That is, if you ignore entirely that this is an Iron Man movie to begin with.

Now as an Iron Man movie however, this was disappointing. To me, almost as disappointing as IM2.

I didn't have huge anticipation for IM3 in the last few months, and I guess that's a good thing, as that would have led me to be further disappointed.

My main problem with the film as an Iron Man film, is not even any plot holes, but for me what ruins it are absolute plot absurdities.

With the attack on Tony's house, do you really mean to say with all of Tony's genius, no radar or sensors detected the first missile? That the only way they even knew about the first missile was seeing it on TV? That's simply absurd, and a total insult to the Tony Stark character. It's completely out of line with the portrayal of stark in every other Marvel film thus far.

There is another equally absurd scene, where near the end we see Pepper fall into the fire with Tony being unable to catch her. With ALL those suits flying around him, it's absolutely absurd that he couldn't get another suit on him right away and catch Pepper in time. Yes Pepper survived, but that's not the point. The point is the sheer absurdity of the situation.

Even Killian's death is very puzzling. When Tony blows him up inside his suit, he doesn't die. Yet, when Pepper blows him up he's dead? That doesn't make much sense. The whole time I was expecting Killian to survive the second explosion, and for Tony to do something drastic, like perhaps take one of the DOZENS of suits he had in the air and flying Killian into space for instance killing him that way. They could have showed Tony jumping into his deep space suit and taking an injured and weak, yet alive Killian into space. The lack of oxygen and deep cold of space would have been a more suitable death.

These plot absurdities fundamentally affect Tony Stark as a character in this film, and that really took me out of the movie. Stark is a genius, and he has been portrayed as a genius in every Marvel film so far. This was the first Marvel film though that didn't fully portray him as a genius, due to the above absurdities.

As an Iron Man fan, the final battle in general was quite generic and disappointing. The suits should have appeared more bad ass, and most of them just performed very generic action scenes. The Hulkbuster armor was very cool to see, but we only saw it for a few seconds.

The Mandarin twist was bearable, but nonetheless disappointing and it really deflated any sense of suspense or threat in the film.

Also as I suspected, post-Avengers this film was quite awkward, in that there was zero explanation of where all the other Avengers were. Yes yes I know the comics are the same way, but it still doesn't eliminate the akward feeling. As well, with so much attention on SHIELD in the last few Marvel films, there was no visible SHIELD presence in this film. Makes things feel very inconsistent.

Overall the film was quite messy for me, and I'm not even sure what rating I would give it. It was slightly better than IM2, but that's not saying much. This to me was worse than The Avengers. The visual effects looked good, but were mostly generic. Tony's Mark 42 suit, the one with all the flying pieces seemed too toy-like with the way the pieces attached onto his body. It was almost comical the way they attached to him, and that's all Shane Black there. For me, the previous two Iron Man films were more convincing in terms of believing the weight, power and protection the suits offer.

Overall, I think the first Iron Man film was and is still, by far, the best Iron Man.

Overall this was not memorable at all, and I feel very little urge in rewatching it. It feels generic like The Avengers, but a different kind of generic. It will make lots of money of course.

Ultimately I feel having Black direct was a bad choice. He's a good writer, and his best work was him writing, not directing. He didn't direct the Lethal Weapon films for example. They should have kept Black as the writer for IM3, but gotten another director.

Now I hope for Thor 2 to be much better than this.

Edited by ACCA
  • Like 6