Iron Man 3 (2013)  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

7.5/10

I actually liked the twist and think it's funny that fans are so angry about it. The main thing I didn't like was the Extremis plot. The Extremis soldiers reminded me of the alien army in the Avengers. I never took either of them seriously as a threat to the protagonist(s). Another thing that I didn't like was the fact that it wasn't as funny as IM1 or Avengers. However, the more serious tone was handled very well. RDJ did a great job taking on a more serious performance than what we've seen out of him in his previous 3 outings as Iron Man.

The more serious tone is one of those things that I'll have to get used to, but it caught me off-guard during my first viewing. Now that I'm aware of it, it will be interesting to see how I feel after repeat viewings. All of that being said, this is a lot better movie than IM2. I would rate this is as the third best Marvel Studios film behind IM1 and Avengers. IM2 is the weakest Marvel Studios film I've seen at 5/10, so IM3 is a huge improvement and I'm glad they put a lot more effort into this one.

• Like 3

Best Marvel movie in the last few years and much better than the Avengers. Robert Downey Jr is just amazing. The twist was all kinds of WTFness. Ben Kingsley was hilarious :lol: 

• Like 1

7.5/10 I actually liked the twist and think it's funny that fans are so angry about it. The main thing I didn't like was the Extremis plot. The Extremis soldiers reminded me of the alien army in the Avengers. I never took either of them seriously as a threat to the protagonist(s). Another thing that I didn't like was the fact that it wasn't as funny as IM1 or Avengers. However, the more serious tone was handled very well. RDJ did a great job taking on a more serious performance than what we've seen out of him in his previous 3 outings as Iron Man. The more serious tone is one of those things that I'll have to get used to, but it caught me off-guard during my first viewing. Now that I'm aware of it, it will be interesting to see how I feel after repeat viewings. All of that being said, this is a lot better movie than IM2. I would rate this is as the third best Marvel Studios film behind IM1 and Avengers. IM2 is the weakest Marvel Studios film I've seen at 5/10, so IM3 is a huge improvement and I'm glad they put a lot more effort into this one.

How did you see this already.
  • Like 1

Early screening in my area.

I have always wanted to an early screening but they never in my area of Iowa during school. The last 2 summers I worked and I lived in northern Minnesota at my grandma's place. This summer I hope to catch an advance screening of a movie.

Pretty good overall. Not sure if it's the best Iron Man. The kid was pretty entertaining. The kid telling Tony that his dad must have won big because he never came back. Then Tony telling the kid don't be a pussy was funny as hell. 8/10

After seeing IM3, no one wonders what if Bin Laden IS Bush's Mandarin ?

I think Shane Black satirized the wars against terrorism in IM3, sort of.

thats an interesting observation mate. Now that i think about it, your theory makes sense.

best thing you have said in months :P

After seeing IM3, no one wonders what if Bin Laden IS Bush's Mandarin ?

I think Shane Black satirized the wars against terrorism in IM3, sort of.

That's exactly what I thought up to the twist. Then it was so obvious. You're not the only one wondering about this. I think it's a pretty ballsy way to go saying US armement conglomerate in association with some federal government schemers create terrorist threat to make a diversion for the masses and favor their business, selling wars and gears of wars.

It's a double whammy. On one level, fanboys are shocked for having been led to believe Kingsley was the good ole Mandarin from the comics to discover he was just a puppet in the hands of a US armement magnate who was pulling the strings. On the second level, people were shocked to know that Bin Laden and his family were actually tied to the US and CIA helping destabilizing middle-east regimes since the war against Russia in Afghanistan when Talibans were armed by CIA. Some even say Bin Laden has (always?) been a CIA agent. Since 2001, he was playing the big bad wolf behind every single terrorist attack worldwide providing Bush's trickster pack absolute power under the flag of War On Terror.

It's not something I expected from an innofensive popcorn entertainment from Marvel/Disney.

And remember this dialogue from Shane Black's The Long Kiss Goodbye between Samantha Caine and a CIA pundit who used to be her boss who betrayed her lefting her for dead:

Perkins : You don't know the rules of the game any more.Samantha Caine : Tell me about it. Eight years ago, this guy was on the hit list.Perkins : Budget cuts, dear. Congress blinded us overseas. I was forced to turn to any eyes and ears I could find, even if that meant recruiting the "bad guys" here.Samantha : Budget cuts, is that what this is about? Operation Honeymoon... Fuck me! You're running a fund-raiser.Mitch Hennessy : Fund-raiser?Perkins : 1993... World Trade Center bombing, remember? During the trial, one of the bombers claimed the CIA had advance knowledge. The diplomat who issued the terrorists' visa was CIA. It's not unthinkable they paved the way for the bombing, purely to justify a budget increase.Mitch : You're telling me you're going to fake some terrorist thing just to scare some money out of Congress?Perkins : Unfortunately, Mr Henessey, I have no idea how to fake killing 4,000 people, so we're just going to have to do it for real. Oh we'll blame it on the Muslims, naturally. Then I get my funding. Good night, old girl.

I think it will stir up controversy in the US for pandering to conspiracy theorists...

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

My first instinct upon seeing the first trailer was correct.

The Dark Tony Stark RIses

Now, there were were some cool things and some bad things about this film but unfortunately i think the bad outweighs the good. 

The TWIST! was something out of M. Night's playbook. At first I was shaking my head that it was Mandarin Bin Laden but I went full face palm when the Mandarin turned out to be a lowly actor. 

Then there was that stupid kid. Sure, Tony stark handled him in a great way but he was till a stupid annoying kid that i can only assume was put in for the $ kid demographic. 

Unlike first phase, the easter egg didn't really add anything to forward the universe. it was more let's eat shawrma then I'm forming a team.

I kind of liked the AIM guys. The fire stuff was cool.

Backup with all the Iron Armors were cool.

Pepper 'rescue'ing Tony was cool too.

But no. I liked The Dark Knight Rises when it came out last year, not the paint by numbers rehash version that came out this year.  

Watched it again and I liked the movie more than the the first time. My rating stays at A.

I noticed that the score is even better than I originally thought. Action scenes are on a phenomenal scale and way better than the first two IM movies. RDJ is brilliant. 

• Like 1

I'm mixed on it.  As an action-comedy buddy film, it's excellent. Great humor, great chemistry, and really fun action.  But as a superhero movie, a serious blockbuster, and an Iron Man film? It failed for me.  Look, I understand that it wasn't going to be "dark." That's fine.  But there's a difference between a fun, light tone, and literally turning every moment into one big joke or one-liner.  Like when Tony calls Pepper to tell her that he's ok and needs to handle business- this could have been a really nice moment, but Black couldn't resist throwing the Indian one liner in at the end to turn the whole call into a joke.  And this happens throughout the entire movie. Every time the movie starts to say something thematically important or expand on character, it turns into a Shane Black one-liner. Also, I knew the twist ahead of time, and I thought it sounded awesome. But it was poorly done. They show two Mandarin videos, and then turn him into a blubbering drunk poop joke. It could have been an absolutely incredible moment if done right.  The film certainly improves on IM2, and Downey is by far the best he's been since the first.  The scenes in Tennnessee are just awesome.  But the rest.... I'm slightly let down.

7.25/10

• Like 1

Iron Man 3 was great but at the same time kind of a let down. The whole movie felt like a run on gag. Any serious moment needed a funny joke apparently. Don't get me wrong, the movie was hilarious the first time, but I have a feeling this will be one of those movies we like less and less as time goes on.

By far my favorite scenes were with that kid in TN. I hope they bring him back for a sequel.

I give this movie a solid B+ and I rank it third out of the four movies starring IM ahead of only IM2.

• Like 1

Okay, I kind of loved it. The best of the series for sure and totally, unmistakably a Shane Black movie. I can't wait to see it again... and to re-watch Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, which I suddenly feel compelled to do.

But no. I liked The Dark Knight Rises when it came out last year, not the paint by numbers rehash version that came out this year.

We can agree to disagree on whether this is better than TDKR or not (I think it is), but it's so not the same movie or the same tone or the same anything. This is attempting to be as funny and action-packed as the Avengers and I think it often succeeds. Edited by Gopher