Iron Man 3 (2013)  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Liked it a lot especially Tony's interaction with Harley in Tennessee. Mandarin's gag was hilarious. My only problem was them making every emotional scene end with funny quip or joke but overall I give it 9/10. On par with IM1 and hell of a lot better than IM2. :)  WOM will be fine as my crowd enjoyed it. 

Edited by druv10

This is attempting to be as funny and action-packed as the Avengers and I think it often succeeds.

If it was trying to be as funny as the Avengers, then I don't think it succeeded. I actually felt IM3 succeeded in presenting a more serious tone than TA (which was hilarious) or even IM1 (which had a perfect blend of humor and heart).

• Like 1

If it was trying to be as funny as the Avengers, then I don't think it succeeded. I actually felt IM3 succeeded in presenting a more serious tone than TA (which was hilarious) or even IM1 (which had a perfect blend of humor and heart).

Because it was a serious subject (PTSD) but I agree with you TA was funnier. It had the perfect blend of nice quips with timing.  IM3 was funny but it was over the top at times. Overall, Black delivered very good 3rd movie and strong entry into MCU.  :D

• Like 2

Pretty good film.  It definitely had it moments.  As for the twist of the Mandarin not being the actual bad guy, I saw it coming even without reading the spoilers.  I can definitely see how that would get to people.  I am not all the crazy about it, but it was definitely funny and it didn't affect how I felt about the movie.  I don't think many people will be up in arms about it.

The humor was good and overall a fun film. 

Definitely better than 2, but the first one is still easily the best of the series for me

B+/B

Edited by 75live
  • Like 1

I have avoided this thread like the plague...i want to know nothing going into the film....but I had to see just what 75 thought as we have very similar taste in film.Ok, I am quite confident I will like it now.

• Like 1

I have avoided this thread like the plague...i want to know nothing going into the film....but I had to see just what 75 thought as we have very similar taste in film.Ok, I am quite confident I will like it now.

Thanks.  Actually I have done the same thing with your reviews because of the same reason :P

I only tried to put the one spoiler in there as it seems to be the big one people are talking about.

Hopefully you will enjoy it too :)

I might be crazy because I thought this had so much comedy. I I laughed in most scenes and almost fell down laughing at the Mandarin reveal.

I'll give props to Kingsley and Pearce for playing awesomely campy villains, but I think RDJ is better than ever in this movie. His schtick started to get old in IM2 and even Sherlock Holmes 2 for me. Even if he isn't totally destroyed twice like Batman in TDKR, this is still a story of maturation and I think him and Black's script pull it off very well. 

To me it's probably the comic book-iest of the Marvel movies- even moreso than Avengers was- which allowed me to roll with the twists and the Extermis stuff pretty well. It's not a perfect film by any stretch- we definitely could have gotten more from the Mandarin before his reveal- but the action is strong, the dialogue is witty, and the score is the strongest Marvel composition so far. I had a blast watching it. If there's an IM4 I really hope Shane Black returns. 

Ok I'll get this out of the way first...I hated, hated, hated the twist. I hate bullshit bait and switch like that, especially after 6 months of marketing and hype of Kingsley being a great Marvel/IM villain, etc, etc. In fact while watching that scene when Tony finds "Mandarin" I was hoping the whole time he was tricking Tony ala Leo with Hanks in catch me if you can...but no, he was a stupid actor and Killian was the real Mandarin and it sucked. Kingsley was really funny during the reveal and watching the soccer game, etc. but I was still really annoyed he wasn't the badass villain we were shown in previews and promised (and some review blurbs said, which was also bs, where they talking about Killian or just that Kingsley was so funny??)But having said that, everything up to that point was really good, and everything after was good too, so I still liked it a lot as a whole. It does have a completely different feel than the other two movies, which is understandable as it's a new director, but I guess I didn't expect such a different feel (especially after having just watched the first 2 and TA within the last few days). It was really funny though and the action was great (especially the attack on Tony's mansion and the final battle with all the suits) and it was a very well done movie. The after credits scene with Banner was also great. I also thought Tony fought and spent way too much time out of the suit though, ala the similar complaint of Bale being out of the Batman suit too much in TDKR.I will definitely be seeing it another time or two though (probably today again actually ha) so I expect to like it more the second time now that I know and can expect the twist. I like it better than the second (though not the huge gap others have expressed), but def not as much as IM1 or TA.B/B+Other IM grades for comparison:IM1: ATA: A/A-IM2: B-

Edited by FTF
  • Like 1

I might be crazy because I thought this had so much comedy. I I laughed in most scenes and almost fell down laughing at the Mandarin reveal.

Oh believe me, I loved the Mandarin twist. Hilarious, absolutely hilarious. But the thing is, IM1 also had similarly funny moments and TA had numerous moments like that. In general I found myself laughing more often in IM1 and TA than I did in IM3.

I have tickets to see it with my wife again tomorrow so I'm going to hold off on making a final judgement on the film until after that. I also don't feel like I can rank it against the other Marvel films yet because I've seen the others so many times...to the point of being very comfortable with them and even coming to enjoy some of the films (like IM2) after initially disliking them.Having said that I was really disappointed. The film really is Tony Stark Rises...and lacks the overwhelming FUN that The Avengers brought to the table. Too much Tony ...not enough of the suit...the false drama of taking someone who should be a badass and making him constantly low on power...it gets tiresome. And while I love Joss his comment about 'how can I top the ending of IM3?' was total company man bullshit. The finale was boring and rather than focus on cool things being done in a cool suit it has unenhanced humans doing ridiculous shit (who know that Rhodes was such a ninja or so good with a handgun???).

• Like 1

Tony Stark is one of those guys that's just as interesting out of the costume, if not more so. I also like seeing him use his head and not just wreck shit as Iron Man. So I can't say him not being in the suit much bothered me.

• Like 9

Tony Stark is one of those guys that's just as interesting out of the costume, if not more so. I also like seeing him use his head and not just wreck shit as Iron Man. So I can't say him not being in the suit much bothered me.

Fair enough...I just disagree. The whole RDJ persona is just starting to wear thin with me I guess. But then I'm almost always going to be a bigger fan of the suit than the guy inside it. I hated the lack of Batman in DKR for example. I watch all kinds of films and I want my superhero films to have superheroes in them. Just my personal preference. It doesn't help that in the Avengers the armor is a Porsche... while in this film it's a Yugo. I don't think he should be invincible in his armor, but I'd rather they give him an enemy in his weight class rather then turn him into a weakling for dramatic effect. Either approach could result in tension.
  • Like 1

At times I felt like I was watching Shane Black mixing Lethal Weapon and Iron Man together.  STark was Martin Riggs in this and it even had the Christmas theme in it.  This is a compliment and a criticism.  Thwe good thing about IM3 imo is that the action is breathtaking.  The scene where IM rescues everyone as they are free falling to their death was unreal.  I was breathless and felt like cheering.  The destruction of Tony's house was fantastic as well.  I also enjoyed some of the humour, especially when Stark tells the little kid with glasses that he loved him in The Christmas Story.  I think 5 people in the theater laughed at that part, the crowd was clearly very young.  I also enjoyed some of the journey Tony goes on.  It's a dark one and he has a lot of demons to deal with. 

But the plot of the film is a big WTF...like seriously what the fuck?  The bad guys can make themselves explode or implode, or burn up or start fires or become bombs.  Then they are stronger than Iron Man and then they can survive an explosion, then they can regenerate their appendages and then they can breathe fire.  It's never really explained why they can do this and it is never really explained why Pepper can at the end.  I found the absurdity of the plot really took me out of the film and that's too bad because I was really enjoying much of it but the suspension of disbelief was just at an all time high here and I couldn't do it.  Also, the end with all the suits coming to Tony's aid really seemed a bit much as well.  

I think if they could have explained it a bit better, maybe it would have been more enjoyable.  But all they show you is that people with missing arms and legs volunteer for an experiment and the next thing you know they can blow themselves up.  It was all really really silly.

Better than the second but not as good as the first and miles from the Avengers.

7/10

Edited by baumer
  • Like 8

I was kinda confused by what the magma people could and couldn't survive, like when the suit blows up on Guy Pierce he survives but when Pepper throws that bomb thing at him he dies. And there were a couple other instances like that too.

• Like 4

But the plot of the film is a big WTF...like seriously what the fuck?  The bad guys can make themselves explode or implode, or burn up or start fires or become bombs.  Then they are stronger than Iron Man and then they can survive an explosion, then they can regenerate their appendages and then they can breathe fire.  It's never really explained why they can do this and it is never really explained why Pepper can at the end.  I found the absurdity of the plot really took me out of the film and that's too bad because I was really enjoying much of it but the suspension of disbelief was just at an all time high here and I couldn't do it.  Also, the end with all the suits coming to Tony's aid really seemed a bit much as well. I think if they could have explained it a bit better, maybe it would have been more enjoyable.  But all they show you is that people with missing arms and legs volunteer for an experiment and the next thing you know they can blow themselves up.  It was all really really silly. 

A few quick scenes where we see the super powered bad guys at work back at their base would have helped A LOT. Similar to the scenes we get with the Red Skull in CA. But I guess they wanted nearly every moment to be filled with unsuited Tony. :(
  • Like 2