Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

Iron Man and Green Lantern are a pretty good comparison. One did everything right and broke out into mainstream mega awareness that started the road map to The Avengers and one did everything wrong and flopped completely messing up WBs plans for a DCU.

• Like 5

Iron Man and Green Lantern are a pretty good comparison. One did everything right and broke out into mainstream mega awareness that started the road map to The Avengers and one did everything wrong and flopped completely messing up WBs plans for a DCU.

LOL yep.

Iron Man was much, much more famous than Green Lantern prior to the movies. Hell, I was a big comic book fan as a kid and I didn't even know who Green Lantern was prior to about 2009.  

Now THIS is definitely a minority opinion. Green Lantern was heavily featured in the massively successful Justice League and Justice League Unlimited cartoons of the 90s and early 00s. Also, DC had mega events around Green Lantern in the comics like "Blackest Night" way before the release of GL movie. I would say GL was 5th most recognized DC superhero after Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Flash, not counting sidekicks like Robin and Supergirl.

Meanwhile over at Marvel, Iron Man had to contend with Spider-Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, and like a gazillion mutants from the X-Men franchise. Even Captain America was a bigger household name than him.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

I remember people saying Green Lantern was going to be DC's answer to Iron Man. And then it got beaten not only by Thor and Captain America, but by X-Men First Class. Poor, poor DC.

• Like 3

I remember people saying Green Lantern was going to be DC's answer to Iron Man. And then it got beaten not only by Thor and Captain America, but by X-Men First Class. Poor, poor DC.

I remember the original trailer for Green Lantern trying to make it look like a cross between Iron MAn and Star Trek 09

• Like 1

WB beat it themselves a couple weeks later with Horrible Bosses. Though I don't think they were pleased w/ that...

• Like 1

I've read some of Civil War, not all of it but from what I read it all made Iron Man seem like a massive ----.

Cap and Iron Man are both idiots and assholes in there

They deserved that. It was a shit movie.

• Like 1

Now THIS is definitely a minority opinion. Green Lantern was heavily featured in the massively successful Justice League and Justice League Unlimited cartoons of the 90s and early 00s. Also, DC had mega events around Green Lantern in the comics like "Blackest Night" way before the release of GL movie. I would say GL was 5th most recognized DC superhero after Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Flash, not counting sidekicks like Robin and Supergirl.

Meanwhile over at Marvel, Iron Man had to contend with Spider-Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, and like a gazillion mutants from the X-Men franchise.

Thank you, that's exactly the cartoons I was thinking of! So yeah I'm sticking with GL being a bit more known among my gen at least. But I still think the GL movie is a good comparison for what IM1 would have done with bad marketing. They weren't that far apart in relevance among the GA.

• Like 1

The funniest thing to me about Green Lantern was seeing the level of denial on SHH. Seriously amazing level of denial from the fans on there.

This is new to me, what did they deny about?

That it sucked.

Seriously?  :lol: That sounds fun.

It's kinda sad, I had such high hopes for GL, but after watching the trailer, I already have a bad feeling. And the movie is even worse than what I expect it to be  :mellow:

About Green Lantern and Iron Man. When I was a female kid in the early 2000's, I didn't read any comics at all. I had no idea who iron man was or even who the x-men were because I never watched the movies. However, I know who Green Lantern was because of the tv show Justice League. in fact when I heard they were making a Green Lantern movie I was surprised to find out he wasn't black. LOL 

• Like 2