Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

Springboarding off The Avengers and Iron Man 3, could Thor 2 pull a Skyfall and approach $1B WW? Certainly plays well to the OS crowd and Marvel/Disney are ruling OS right now. I'm starting to think if it's any good, TDW will gross close to $300M domestic and close to $700M oveseas.

Yes its possible

175.3M OW.

Wow didn't expect Disney's Sat estimate to be the low end of Rth's range. Anybody remember what the Sat estimate was for TA? What about Sun projection for TA? IIRC OW actuals for TA turned out to be ~3M more than was estimated.

Still crossing my fingers that the actuals are closer to my original 180M prediction, though i doubt the actual will be that far off the estimate. 

But regardless, epic opening weekend for IM3!

Memorial weekend is going to be massive. Just massive.

Fast and Furious: 80MHangover III: 60MStar Trek: 60MIronMan 3: 25MLowballing...

We'll see who the moron is come November. Watch Catching Fire have a $300m+ worldwide debut.

No-one is a Moran, its just rude to call a guy stupid for predicting a possible scenario.
  • Like 1

Watching Thor numbers is going to be even more interesting.

Just how much of an Avengers bump is it going to get?

I think it's gonna be huge. I had zero interest in Thor until seeing The Avengers. That film did a nice job of presenting Thor and Loki to a lot of people who weren't interested in those two characters. I finally saw Thor yesterday and it's probably now my third favorite MCU film behind IM1 and TA. Much better than I expected. Now I will see Thor 2 in the theater. Bet there are a lot of others out there like me too.

• Like 1

175.3M OW.Wow didn't expect Disney's Sat estimate to be the low end of Rth's range. Anybody remember what the Sat estimate was for TA? What about Sun projection for TA? IIRC OW actuals for TA turned out to be ~3M more than was estimated.Still crossing my fingers that the actuals are closer to my original 180M prediction, though i doubt the actual will be that far off the estimate. But regardless, epic opening weekend for IM3!

If I remember correctly, Saturday went down a tad, Friday went up a tad, but Sunday completely obliterated it's initial projection. Came up about $7 million from what it was originally predicted to get. I don't think there will ever be a Sunday hold like that ever again. Edited by superduperm

• Founder / Operator

Whats your thoughts on the Saturday gross.One of the most impressive (with TA) easily

Ask me when actuals are in tomorrow. ;)It's a great number either way, but this whole Thursday 9m thing proved to be as complicating for ratios as I was afraid of.