Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

Thor will be big no doubt..

People saw the trailer and went nuts for Thorki...

WIth the addition of Loki it really adds interest into the film.... It makes you wonder what threat could there be for Loki to trust his brother. 

Anyways this should get the 2nd biggest 2nd weekend as well.

It gets 2nd biggest Day business, 2nd biggest Sat and Sunday. 

Oh, when I went to see IM3, most people were ho hum at all the trailers showing, (including Star Trek and MOS) and the beginning of Thor 2, but when Loki shows up at the end, the boom from the crowd was very deafening. Thor is going to be big from both the male and female demos. Loki very well might end up being the Jack Sparrow of the Avengers universe after everything is said and done.

• Like 3

Perhaps if it was based off of a wildly successful series of books.

Hmmm... feasible argument if Iron Man wasn't based off a pretty successful comic book and cartoon adaption runs.

Hmmm... feasible argument if Iron Man wasn't based off a pretty successful comic book and cartoon adaption runs.

It was a virtually unknown commodity among general audiences before the first film and even among comic book fans it was B-List at best.

• Like 1

I really don't think Iron Man was QUITE as unknown of a superhero as people like to talk about. Sure, maybe people didn't know his characterization or origin story like other famous superheroes, but people certainly recognized him and knew him as the man in the armor suit. He wasn't a complete unknown, at all. 

• Like 1

I really don't think Iron Man was QUITE as unknown of a superhero as people like to talk about. Sure, maybe people didn't know his characterization or origin story like other famous superheroes, but people certainly recognized him and knew him as the man in the armor suit. He wasn't a complete unknown, at all. 

No he wasn't completely unknown. You don't open to $100m if he was unknown.

• Like 2

Kids love Iron Man. He's officially replaced Spiderman as the favorite Superhero. How did that happen?

Maybe because in the movie verse, Tony Stark never went down that ridiculous emo phase that tends to turn people off, even the open minded kids?

• Like 1

No he wasn't completely unknown. You don't open to $100m if he was unknown.

You have to remember that IM was opening Summer 2008 just like fellow superhero movie SM3 the year prior. The trailers and promotion for IM were excellent and people were looking forward to seeing RDJ in an interesting new comeback role. Also, WOM spread like wild fire instantly. Social media was influential in 2008 alright.

• Like 3

I am not sure. Even if they knew he was the "man in the armor suit", isn't that a horribly vague and generic description? He was no iconic Batman/Superman/Spider-Man/Hulk/Wolverine or even Flash/Wonder Woman pre-2008.

• Like 3

I am not sure. Even if they knew he was the "man in the armor suit", isn't that a horribly vague and generic description? He was no iconic Batman/Superman/Spider-Man/Hulk/Wolverine or even Flash/Wonder Woman pre-2008.

He was iconic enough to me. I remember having Iron Man toys and watching cartoons that featured the character in the 1990's.

• Like 1