Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

It grossed $125m the weekend AFTER midnights, not exactly impressive when that first # is $43.5m (which yes is very impressive 3D or not)

That's where you are wrong.  Why does it matter when it made its money?  The fact that it was frontloaded doesn't mean it had a poor performance.  It just meant that everyone wanted to see it right away.  Would it make you feel better if it made 50 mill OW and then made 380 mill overall?

Agreed. 380 million dollars for an 8th film is just ridiculous. And that's not even taking into consideration the 960 mill it made internationally.

The finale was ALWAYS going to be huge though dude, the fact that no one argued that made its performance less legendary.

I think TDK is still my favorite call. TA broke out, but no one predicted that. Coming from where the franchise was in the late 90s, from BB to jump to OW record is huge. Plus back in December when the club started hardly anyone believed in 100m let alone record. Plus that's 2D.

The Spidey vs Pirates fights were priceless, too.  

That's where you are wrong. Why does it matter when it made its money? The fact that it was frontloaded doesn't mean it had a poor performance. It just meant that everyone wanted to see it right away. Would it make you feel better if it made 50 mill OW and then made 380 mill overall?

It didn't far exceed attendance on the other entries (in fact it lost to HP1 correct?) so I say pretty good finish.

I have faith in America's taste. However huge Friday's going to be, surely this mess of a film called IM3 can't top TH or TDKR, I think it's going to be fighting for 150m come Monday actuals. WoM should be kicking in. Estimates will be 152m.

The finale was ALWAYS going to be huge though dude, the fact that no one argued that made its performance less legendary.

You know I am not a Potter fan, but to dismiss what it did simply because we expected it to do it, is not fair.  Potter only has so many fans and they all came out in droves to make the film a huge success.