Automatically embedding has been temporarily turned off until the Twitter bug has been fixed. This will only affect new posts made. Once the issue has been fixed, automatic embedding will return. It is possible to manually embed content I believe. If you quote a post with an embedded tweet, please delete the tweet.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

baumer

Titanic | James Cameron | Pretend it's 1997 all over again (The pure awe of Titanic's run)

734 posts in this topic

Oh no a potential flop oh man, James Cameron career might be over.

Thanks Baumer for create this thread, for sure is my favourite here!

1 person likes this

I would really LOVE to get the chance to see this in a theater. The 3D re release came out only weeks before I got into movies so I just missed it

this film will sink!

So apparently Apple is coming out with this thing called the "iPod" for music. Why bother when we have Walkman? 

except for avatar, which directed by the same director, never had a movie break titanic's record, they dont make it in term of nominal, let alone adjusted figure

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

except for avatar, which directed by the same director, never had a movie break titanic's record, they dont make it in term of nominal, let alone adjusted figure

With the re-release I imagine ?

Titanic made 1,84 billion on is initial theatrical run, it took  Force Awaken (2.07b) to beat it in term of nominal, but it was not that close of Titanic 2.75 billion adjusted for inflation in 2015/2016 money (not ticket price, just purchasing power)

10 hours ago, Barnack said:

With the re-release I imagine ?

Titanic made 1,84 billion on is initial theatrical run, it took  Force Awaken (2.07b) to beat it in term of nominal, but it was not that close of Titanic 2.75 billion adjusted for inflation in 2015/2016 money (not ticket price, just purchasing power)

Titanic came out in a different era too.  No internet, no streaming, no apple tv no android boxes.

2 hours ago, baumer said:

Titanic came out in a different era too.  No internet, no streaming, no apple tv no android boxes.

No China market (and much smaller world cinema market) at the same time, Titanic made 145 million in China in it's 2012 re-release  while people had bluray of the movie available and easily could have find it online before it's release, who knows how it would have done last year... In 2012 Titanic was almost number one in the China market, ended #2 not far from the top, that is probably not far from a 400 million performance today in 2017 China market.

Avatar was in that different era and still made a crazy amount, every other movie in the 90's was in the same era of Titanic, none came close to Titanic not even Star Wars.

Not saying that Titanic would have made 2.75 billion in 2015/2016 and I fully understand your point about how hard it is to translate performance over different era and those lighting in the bottle positive loop are probably full of chaos, but Titanic world market share was at a special level and dominate is contemporary competition pretty much at the same level as the first Star Wars, Gone With the Wind, E.T., it is at the very top level.

Edited by Barnack
1 person likes this

On 18/4/2017 at 2:21 AM, vc2002 said:

Ha yes Kabul "the Titanic City". The story behind it is amazing.

`Titanic' fever rose in Kabul after the Taliban sank

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2003-04-21/features/0304210029_1_postcards-of-indian-stars-titanic-or-titanic-hair-large-cucumbers-and-potatoes

Afghanistan: 'Titanic' sinks beneath waves of humanity

http://reliefweb.int/report/afghanistan/afghanistan-titanic-sinks-beneath-waves-humanity

Titanic cut clampdown in Kabul

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/1136013.stm

Yeah, it´s amazing!!

Thanks for the posts, are very very interesting and it talks how big phenomenon Titanic is.

That article is fascinating.  I've just spent the last half hour reading about Sherry Lansing and her trials and tribulations in the business.  Read the stuff about Fatal Attraction.  Amazing!

17 hours ago, baumer said:

That article is fascinating.  I've just spent the last half hour reading about Sherry Lansing and her trials and tribulations in the business.  Read the stuff about Fatal Attraction.  Amazing!

yeah I really enjoy the two articles, as well.  I may have to check out her book even if it's not all about Titanic :P 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, 75live said:

yeah I really enjoy the two articles, as well.  I may have to check out her book even if it's not all about Titanic :P 

Hahaha same here :D