trifle

WGA authorizes strike with 96% vote | tentative agreement reached at 1am PDT

They're going to try to talk through the weekend, with chances of a strike at 50-50. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think when the last strike happened, hostilities between the writers and the studios were extremely high, and everyone seemed to know that the strike was definitely coming in advance. This time, one of the issues is that negotiations started much closer to when the contract was set to expire, catching many people by surprise.

Details like that make me think it's possible for a deal to get reached in time, or maybe even in just another week or so, causing the strike to be very short, if it happens.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

Hollie Overton (Shadowhunters, Lifetime’s The Client List): What we're fighting for is for studios and networks not to be able to hold writers for six straight months [between seasons without pay]. You're just in career limbo. The companies are making more money than ever before, and it just feels like the writers who are creating all this content are becoming less and less valuable

That does seem incredibly unfair, specially with the shorter seasons which means less payment. Why the heck can't they just write stuff for something else during those 6 months? So weird.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

That does seem incredibly unfair, specially with the shorter seasons which means less payment. Why the heck can't they just write stuff for something else during those 6 months? So weird.

It's like being a teacher. Imagine working for crappy pay where no one likes or respects you, and you only get paid for part of the year.

Unlike being a teacher, you can't get another job during the summer break.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, adrianarose27 said:

They're going to try to talk through the weekend, with chances of a strike at 50-50. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think when the last strike happened, hostilities between the writers and the studios were extremely high, and everyone seemed to know that the strike was definitely coming in advance. This time, one of the issues is that negotiations started much closer to when the contract was set to expire, catching many people by surprise.

Details like that make me think it's possible for a deal to get reached in time, or maybe even in just another week or so, causing the strike to be very short, if it happens.

Probably helps that a lot of people are voicing their concern via social media (which mostly didn't exist yet when the last strike happened).

15 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

It's like being a teacher. Imagine working for crappy pay where no one likes or respects you, and you only get paid for part of the year.

Unlike being a teacher, you can't get another job during the summer break.

I'm a teacher...

:depp:

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Apparently:

A key area of contention has to do with work rules for television. Right now, writers who are hired for a show are "held exclusively" to that show, even when they're not writing (this is also called being in "first position"). So while the show is being produced, the writer sits around waiting to see if the show is going to get picked up for another season, and that wait can be months or even a year. In that time of limbo, the writer can't take a job on a new show without getting permission. And that other show may be reluctant to hire a writer "in second position" — that is, a writer who may have to go run off to his other show at any moment.

I imagine that it is some protection from the studio side, to be sure to have the option to reuse the writers of the first season on the second if it ever get greenlight, if they get fulltime on a second show they will not be able to come back right away as you please.

That reservation window has value and should be paid for.

• Like 1

I wonder which blockbuster films might be hurt for this. Infinity War is reportedly safe, but we have in production now what, Jurassic World? What more? I know that Black Panther finished filming, so I don't know what else could suffer. Deadpool 2, maybe? 

24 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

I wonder which blockbuster films might be hurt for this. Infinity War is reportedly safe, but we have in production now what, Jurassic World? What more? I know that Black Panther finished filming, so I don't know what else could suffer. Deadpool 2, maybe? 

If it's coming out this year, it's probably okay, but anything else could be dramatically affected. Even if primary filming is done, the strike will affect pickups, reshoots, and line redubs. 

I don't know why anyone would dream that Infinity War is safe. 

• Like 2

Just now, DamienRoc said:

If it's coming out this year, it's probably okay, but anything else could be dramatically affected. Even if primary filming is done, the strike will affect pickups, reshoots, and line redubs. 

I don't know why anyone would dream that Infinity War is safe. 

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/04/24/marvel-studios-writers-guild-strike-wga-kevin-feige/

http://screenrant.com/writers-strike-2017-marvel-mcu-impact/

Here you go. 

These are the films that are mostly safe to safe:

- Anything this year including but not limited to Wonder Woman, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Apes, Dunkirk, Kingsman 2, Thor: Rangarok, Justice League, Coco, The Last Jedi and Jumanji.

- Anything animated even ones in late 2018/early 2019 due to animated films not being covered by WGA.

- Any film before July 2018, especially ones that finished filming like Black Panther.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, iJackSparrow said:

While it's worrisome, I'd say that Marvel Studios got this. 

However assuming the strike lasts around 3 months, Infinity War, should be safe but mildly hurt. 

4 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

While it's worrisome, I'd say that Marvel Studios got this. 

From what I understand, they rely pretty heavily on the reshoot/redub period to pull their films together into the relatively cohesive product that people dig. Removing that from their toolbox could hurt them immensely.