baumer

Transformers Last Knight 5.5m in previews...WW 5.45 -37% from last Tuesday

Honestly I don't see how mother! isn't grossing 100M. Black Swan was embraced by audiences and also grossed 100M thanks to the Oscars, and JLaw can get weak movies about 20-30M higher than they would've been without her. Plus, the box office gods have been kind to landmark horror films this year.

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

Not sure how truth that is, the american toy market is special and ridiculous by capita versus the rest of the planet:

http://www.licensingexpo.com/sites/www.licensingexpo.com/files/static-files/i1_708.jpg

A company like Hasbro in particular, in 2014  47.7% of the world sales were in the US (so I would imagine more than half were from the domestic market)

http://csimarket.com/stocks/segments_geo.php?code=HAS

Those movie tend to have american actor, american flags everywhere, the USA being a major part of were the story happen, US military, etc..., it is Bay auteurship but it is also having those market in mind and product placement having the US market in mind.

Paramount doesn't get merchandising revenue.  The nationalism is just Bay's style.

Im not saying they aren't thinking of the US, but international numbers are why they have all of these Transformers movies and spinoffs planned.

3 minutes ago, The Mummified Panda said:

Paramount doesn't get merchandising revenue.  The nationalism is just Bay's style.

But Hasbro the movie producer is, they are probably a driven force for those.

I doubt that Paramount don't get any merchandising revenue, Marvel was paying sony (depending on their box office, around 25 to 30m max) for every spider-man movies they were making because those movie were partly considered big ads for the spiderman merchandise. If they don't get any, it will be indirectly still there by the way Hasbro is involved in the movie financing.

Im not saying they aren't thinking of the US, but international numbers are why they have all of these Transformers movies and spinoffs planned.

A well then sure, no 250m transformer movie without International numbers, but if we would have access to those movie total revenues stream, I suspect the domestic market would look much more important than it's world box office relative weight.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Telemachos said:

You guys don't have kids, I understand. At a young age, things are basically pre-etiquette. They simply won't grasp the nuances of it. They will talk.

There's an unspoken rule among parents that you basically try to find "kid-friendly" showtimes. Those tend to be (1) the early matinees and/or (2) kid-specific movies. I completely understand and sympathize with the frustration of having little kids talk in theaters, but at a basic level, you should understand that those shows (and movies!) are primarily for them.

This is something I didn't grasp until I had a kid, so I totally get the annoyance. But still, perspective.

Just wanted to say - this on the nose.  You can tell a 4 year old boy a lot of things...most of them go in one ear and out the other.

Now, you can stay home from the theater til he's 18 and grown out of his boyness...or you can take him with his older sibs to 1st matinees and cheap Tuesdays and buy loads of popcorn to keep him quiet...and it may be a good day for you or it may be an off day (or he's too engaged and excited, which is sometimes worse b/c it's hard to calm down vs shushing)...

But I mean if we wanna get in theater etiquette, the things I've seen adults do...some of them are not even fit for internet consumption among minors...I'll take loud kids any day...it's why they have the audio so high anyway...that and the chip crunching/soda slurping...

• Like 3