Finnick

Thursday Numbers: SMH:$8.85M | DM3:$4.52M | BD:$1.61M | WW:$1.25M

That story reminds me of the Tom Selleck almost being Indiana Jones story.  Now we can't picture anyone anyone except for Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones just like we can't picture anybody else as Wolverine. Plus Hugh's last name is perfect for Wolverines look lol

Just now, baumer said:

That story reminds me of the Tom Selleck almost being Indiana Jones story.  Now we can't picture anyone anyone except for Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones just like we can't picture anybody else as Wolverine. Plus Hugh's last name is perfect for Wolverines look lol

I really can't see Selleck as Indiana Jones even though I think he would have done well in the role

Tom Selleck had the look and the build that they were looking for but he doesn't have nearly that innocence and dry sense of delivery that Harrison Ford does. But this is all hearsay as we are so accustomed to Harrison Ford in that role that it's pretty much impossible to picture anyone else doing it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

This and RDJ as Ironman, Patrick Steward as Prof-X, Sean Connery (Bond), Pierce Brosnan (Thomas Crown Affair) - Certain actor are born for certain role, and certain role are made for certain actor.

• Like 1

The X-Men franchise is actually my favourite SH franchise as a whole. I love everyone of them except The Last Stand (yes, i like Apocalypse, fight me) and Origins. F*ck Origins.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

The X-Men franchise is actually my favourite SH franchise as a whole. I love everyone of them except The Last Stand (yes, i like Apocalypse, fight me) and Origins. F*ck Origins.

At the time there wasn't much superhero movies out, beside the dreadful Schumacher Batman.

I was so hype for X-Men and it didn't disappoint. After the first two X-MEN it just went down hill from there for me with the X-MEN series. The Time line is just all over the place after the first few ... DOFP was ok, but the rest ..... meh

Signer did a great job with the first two, then he F@kup Superman Return.

Edited by Subzero

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Tom Selleck had the look and the build that they were looking for but he doesn't have nearly that innocence and dry sense of delivery that Harrison Ford does. But this is all hearsay as we are so accustomed to Harrison Ford in that role that it's pretty much impossible to picture anyone else doing it.

I'm so glad Indy didn't have a mustache though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I remember seeing X-Men for the first time. A friend of mine took me after work one night and I had no idea what the X-Men were. Even when he was describing Wolverine and Magneto and Professor X and so on I just thought it sounded weird. But then when I saw it I was completely blown away by the film and especially Wolverine.

You Canadians have to stick together. :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Yep you are right. X-Men would definitely be the Genesis of the modern-day superhero movie.

I get why X-Men is often unofficially stated as the start of "modern day" superhero films.

It's an easy demarcation point at the year 2000 and surprised many by doing well.

I think an argument could be made for Blade in '98 to some extent. Sure it doesn't have the big $$ tied to it but it succeeded on the heels of Warners crashing and burning with Batman & Robin just a few months earlier essentially shelving any DC property to be on the big screen for almost another decade. Transition to Marvel property dominance.

Related to the thread I'm amazed that going into week #6 WW didn't lose more screens. I expected at least 5-700 screens down, not just under 400. Especially after I saw that large 4000+ screen count for Apes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Subzero said:

This and RDJ as Ironman, Patrick Steward as Prof-X, Sean Connery (Bond), Pierce Brosnan (Thomas Crown Affair) - Certain actor are born for certain role, and certain role are made for certain actor.

Christopher Reeve as Supes.

Absolutely born for the role.

He could say the cheesiest line and you'd still believe in everything Superman stands for and cheer for him.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

I get why X-Men is often unofficially stated as the start of "modern day" superhero films.

It's an easy demarcation point at the year 2000 and surprised many by doing well.

I think an argument could be made for Blade in '98 to some extent. Sure it doesn't have the big $$ tied to it but it succeeded on the heels of Warners crashing and burning with Batman & Robin just a few months earlier essentially shelving any DC property to be on the big screen for almost another decade. Transition to Marvel property dominance.

Related to the thread I'm amazed that going into week #6 WW didn't lose more screens. I expected at least 5-700 screens down, not just under 400. Especially after I saw that large 4000+ screen count for Apes. 

Blade definitely got the ball rolling.

Superhero movies were considered toxic around that time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Christopher Reeve as Supes.

Absolutely born for the role.

He could say the cheesiest line and you'd still believe in everything Superman stand for and cheer for him.

Yes absolutely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

When I see pictures of Tom Selleck as a younger man (Magnum, P.I. oh, my!!!), I wonder why he never became a full-fledged movie star. The man cuts a mighty fine figure...