2001 A Space Odyssey

53 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

So for some reason being a huge movie buff, I was surprised to think to myself.  "Why haven't I seen 2001: A Space Odyssey".  I love Kurbrick but for some reason or another I never got around to watching this.   Oh Boy it deserves all the props that it gets.  The visuals for 1968 (12 years before I was born) was amazing.  It's crazy I watched it this weekend cause this is the 45 Anniversary this week.  So many Sci-Fi movies were clearly inspired by this including "Prometheus" recently.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around the ending and the themes presented.  I clearly remember so people telling me it was "Slow" and "Boring".  I don't see that, it was very intense and had my attention the entire time.  This was movie was ahead of it's time and I could see why it was polarizing when it came out but now it's a Classic cause people have had time to digest what was presented.  The music was great, the Effects were great for their era.  I loved the acting and the computer Hal 9000 was a great villian.  This was a really great movie and even though I knew it was considered a Classic, that doesn't cloud my judgement.  Either I like a movie or I don't.  This movie blew me away.  Perfect 10/10 A+

• Like 2

Still an acme of SF filmmaking. It treats its SF theme seriously and doesn't give an inch. The visuals still look better than 90% of today's SFX. If there's a weak point, it's that it's firmly rooted in 60s high-concept SF and doesn't much care for characters, so we're mere spectators as Bowman makes contact.

This wa sinsufferable. I wanted to see the old guy`s s transformation into a star child and that didn`t disappoint but I`ve no clue what that even mean.

Astronauts were totlal dicks when they conspired against Kal. I really sympathized with the computer and not them.

The movie was creepy but sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

So what`s the monolith again? And who was the star boy waving at from the monolith (that`s preusmably his life-support ship or something)?

This wa sinsufferable. I wanted to see the old guy`s s transformation into a star child and that didn`t disappoint but I`ve no clue what that even mean.

Astronauts were totlal dicks when they conspired against Kal. I really sympathized with the computer and not them.

So what`s the monolith again? And who was the star boy waving at from the monolith (that`s preusmably his life-support ship or something)?

From Hal's perspective, Yes the Astronauts looked Shady but the point was they clearly saw an error in the computer who claimed to have "No Errors or Flaws".  It provided an amazing moment of tension in the film and it also puts in perspective that we need to be careful about A.I. in the future.  Also Hal was no angel, the thing was a murderer.  If I learned anything from Sci-Fi over my entire life.  It seems we can't trust A.I.  From the "Alien" Franchise to Terminator  To Matrix to I, Robot.  

They all follow the same themes that one day A.I. will be conscious and then take over.  "2001" did an amazing job showing that we can't let computers take control.   Has anyone seen the Sequel "2010: The year we make contact". I'm scared to watch it cause I don't want to ruin how much I loved this movie.  It has good reviews but I'm torn cause Kurbrick wasn't involved.  As for the Monolith, I took that as a form of Alien Technology that shaped mankind.  "Prometheus" clearly was heavily influenced by this film.  The "Star-child" I'm still confused about, I think it may be a new being coming to earth or a new seed being planted in humanity.  

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1

AgreedI love to watch this in Imax.

If they did a special re-release in IMAX I would be there.  They should do it on the 50th Anniversary in 2018.  I watched it for the 1st time this past weekend and now I'm going to buy the Blu-ray.  I watched the making on Youtube also.  I'm pretty obessed, lol.  So many theories about the ending. I can't wrap about what it means.  

Edited by filmscholar

From Hal's perspective, Yes the Astronauts looked Shady but the point was they clearly saw an error in the computer who claimed to have "No Errors or Flaws".  It provided an amazing moment of tension in the film and it also puts in perspective that we need to be careful about A.I. in the future.  Also Hal was no angel, the thing was a murderer.  If I learned anything from Sci-Fi over my entire life.  It seems we can't trust A.I.  From the "Alien" Franchise to Terminator  To Matrix to I, Robot.  

They all follow the same themes that one day A.I. will be conscious and then take over.  "2001" did an amazing job showing that we can't let computers take control.   Has anyone seen the Sequel "2010: The year we make contact". I'm scared to watch it cause I don't want to ruin how much I loved this movie.  It has good reviews but I'm torn cause Kurbrick wasn't involved.  As for the Monolith, I took that as a form of Alien Technology that shaped mankind.  "Prometheus" clearly was heavily influenced by this film.  The "Star-child" I'm still confused about, I think it may be a new being coming to earth or a new seed being planted in humanity.  

I haven't watched 2010 and never will.

rofl

Edited by Shpongle

I mean it didn't ruin "Jaws" for me when I saw "Jaws 2,3 and 4" even though they weren't good sequels but there is something about "2010" that just doesn't feel right.  It's like that "American Graffiti" Sequel.  I kinda just want to leave it at "2001" and call it a day.  

I have a strange sensation with this movie that I do not have with any other. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. Technnically, it is probably the best movie ever and the most complex too. When I have liked it, it is absolutely fascinating, but when I have not liked it I find it pretentious and boring as hell. I think it all depend on the mood and predisposition of viewer. Fortunately, last time I have seen I loved it, so I give it an A.

• Like 1

abstractly meandering through sci-fi musings, from technological predictions to the humanity of robots. such theatrical presentation makes this a classic. bloody weird at times too.

9/10