Sunshine, Light, and Joy

This is a post that I've been thinking about for awhile. Recently, I opened up the discussion to other members of the staff to get their feelings on the matter, and their opinions generally matched mine, which is this:

Within the last year or so, there's been a steady increase of negative posts in movie threads. We've always had some heated discussions for some movies, but recently things have not only gotten more histrionic in those threads (generally speaking, the CBM ones), but they've started to spread to other franchises and other movies as well. I'm not talking about out-and-out trolling, I'm talking about members feeling they have to consistently shit on a movie (or studio, or star) simply because they aren't interested in the current project or projects. With every piece of news about a movie, it's now a virtual guarantee that there's a flood of people rushing to say they think it sucks, they don't like the current trailer/tv spot/actor/actress/director/concept. And I get it -- we all have movies we don't like, movies which we think are bad ideas, industry people that just don't appeal to us. But there's a fine line between expressing your opinion about this and doing it so often, with such consistency, that the collective emphasis of all of it basically brings down the entire thread and thus the entire forum.

There's no easy answer to this. We don't want to crush freedom of expression here. But at the same time, the spirit of this forum is for people to have fun talking about the movies they love and the box-office runs they love.

To have fun.

And while it may be fun -- in a sense -- to personally vent about a movie, or to vent at people who dare to enjoy something you don't, it doesn't bring fun to our community. In fact, it generally drags down the overall fun for everyone else. We've had people repeatedly mention to us over the last several months or so that in some cases they don't even bother going into some threads -- even for movies they're curious about! -- because they just don't want to deal with the overall mess those threads contain. And frankly, that matches the personal opinion of most of the staff as well.

So this post is both a request and a warning. 

The request: Next time you feel like taking a dump on a movie (or a topic) for the dozenth time, take a moment to consider whether it's really worth it. People probably already have a good idea of what your attitude about the project is. Maybe just put your posting energy into a movie that you enjoy and love or are excited about.

The warning: The staff is going to be taking a closer look at some of these threads and we'll be more active with temp thread-bans if we think it'll help the overall vibe of the forum. I'd rather we don't have to, but it's not going to constrain any of you too much if you aren't allowed to post about a movie you supposedly don't care about anyway.

Remember the words of Bill and Ted: "Be Excellent to Each Other".

They're just movies, guys. It's about having fun.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

tribefan695

Box Office Theory's Most Anticipated Films

6,067 posts in this topic

I'd like to keep this activity alive, so I'm going to try and take control of it until 33Legend gets back (though if anyone else wants to help, it'd be greatly appreciated).For those who are new here, we had an ongoing thread since late 2009 where we listed our 10 most anticipated films over the next twelve months, and the movies were weighted based on their rankings and compiled into an overall list of the community's most anticipated films.Here's my list as an example:1. John Carter2. The Muppets3. Brave4. The Dark Knight Rises5. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo6. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol7. The Avengers8. The Adventures of Tintin9. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows10. War HorseWith this ranking, John Carter would be worth 10 points, The Muppets worth 9, Brave worth 8 and so on. We have the 12 month limit in place to keep the thread active on a week-by-week basis, and I think the anticipation of putting a new movie on your list adds a bit of excitement.33Legend's rule was that every movie with a release date up to the end of the twelfth month from now was eligible, but there were some issues involving Potter and Dark Knight's rankings back in July so I think I'd like to keep it to exactly one year from the current/previous Thursday (Friday if you live in the far east). So right now you can list any movie with a US release date up to Skyfall. You may also list any film currently in limited release so long as its theater count has not yet decreased from one week to the nextSCORING CLARIFICATION: To keep things fair for everyone who posts a list during the week, only movies within a year from the PREVIOUS Friday will be counted.

Edited by tribefan695
2 people like this

1, The Muppets2. Dark Shadows3. The Dark Knight Rises4. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo5. The Avengers6. Skyfall7. The Amazing Spider-Man8. War Horse9. Prometheus10. Rock of Ages

1) The Dark Knight Rises2) The Hunger Games3) The Avengers4) Skyfall5) Snow White and the Huntsman6) Mission Impossible 47) Sherlock Holmes 28) Dark Shadows9) John Carter10) The Bourne Legacy

1. The Hunger Games2. The Dark Knight Rises3. Snow White and the Huntsman4. The Avengers5. Skyfall6. Sherlock Homes 27. Tintin8. Dr Seuss' The Lorax9. American Reunion10. The Expendables 2

1) The Dark Knight Rises2) The Hunter Games3) The Avengers4) Sherlock Holmes 25) The Expendables 26) Bourne Legacy7) Skyfall8) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo9) Ghost Protocol10) Diary of a Wimpy Kid 3 (What?)

Always liked this thread1. The Dark Knight Rises2. The Avengers3. The Hunger Games4. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol5. American Reunion6. Skyfall7. John Carter8. Snow White and the Huntsman9. The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn10. The Muppets

1. The Muppets2. The Adventures Of Tintin3. Girl With The Dragon Tattoo4. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy5. Carnage6. The Dark Knight Rises7. The Pirates! Band Of Misfits8. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol9. Frankenweenie10. We Need To Talk About Kevin

1) The Hunger Games2) The Muppets3) The Dark Knight Rises4) The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo5) The Pirates!6) The Avengers7) Piranha 3DD8) The Amazing Spiderman9) American Reunion10) Wrath of the Titans

Here's mine1. The Muppets2. The Hobbit: An Amazing Journey3. The Dark Knight Rises4. The Avengers5. Brave6. The Amazing Spider-Man7. Sherlock Holmes 28. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol9. John Carter10. Snow White and the Huntsman

1. The Dark Knight Rises2. Sherlock Holmes 23. Brave4. The Avengers5. The Muppets6. War Horse7. MIB38. Skyfall9. Ice Age 410. MI4

1. The Hunger Games2. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo3. Snow White and the Huntsman4. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy5. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol6. In the Land of Blood and Honey7. Shame8. Young Adult9. War Horse10. The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by rockNrollaDIM

[*]The Muppets

[*]The Adventures of Tintin

[*]The Avengers

[*]SKyfall

[*]The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

[*]Sherlock Holmes 2

[*]Men In Black 3

[*]The Hunger Games

[*]The Dark Knight Rises

[*]The Amazing Spider-Man

Edited by EmpireStrikesBack

1. The Hunger Games2. The Dark Knight Rises3. THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER - COME ON, PEOPLE!That's it.

I totally forgot about that one, Noctis. I haven't even watched the trailer yet. I'm almost afraid to see the story come to life for some weird reason. I guess because it meant so much to me at the time I read it.

Does that movie have a release date yet? If not, then it won't be counted anyway

I totally forgot about that one, Noctis. I haven't even watched the trailer yet. I'm almost afraid to see the story come to life for some weird reason. I guess because it meant so much to me at the time I read it.

You know who the director is, right?

You know who the director is, right?

Well, I just looked it up, the author.That's great. But can he direct?

Well, I just looked it up, the author.That's great. But can he direct?

Obviously, or else they wouldn't have given him the job.The film actually didn't have the necessary funding until Emma came on board and promoted interest for the project. She flew to Los Angeles to show them how interested she was in it. And with that, Summit Entertainment picked it.

1. Breaking Dawn Part 22. The Hunger Games3. Snow White and the Huntsman4. Prometheus5. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo6: The Dark Knight Rises7. The Avengers8. The Amazing Spider-Man9. Wrath of the Titans10. The Bourne Legacy