32 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

It has good direction and performances but it's just too standard that the vast majority of the movie is really, really boring. However, the last 10 minutes or so are great and managed to wake me up from the movie-induced hibernation.

An okay but disappointing theatrical debut for MLK.

6/10

• Like 2

Watch it and I thought it was great. Great performances and good directing. I am glad this is the story that was chosen for the first big movie about MLK. Made me emotional at parts.

I would give it an.....

A(95 or 94)

Very good movie, but it takes an unnecessary shit on President Johnson by portraying him as, at best, a guy whose heart was never really in civil rights and was looking for a way to stop doing it, when that's just patently untrue.

• Like 1

Very good movie, but it takes an unnecessary shit on President Johnson by portraying him as, at best, a guy whose heart was never really in civil rights and was looking for a way to stop doing it, when that's just patently untrue.

LBJ speech on voting civil rights is one of the best Presidential speeches as it was actually about doing something then just rhetoric. 

I'm not sure what to say about this film. I could hardly call it bland or hagiographic but perhaps it was so clinically brutal and harsh that I just became numb to it after awhile. Whatever the reasoning I just didn't walk out of it feeling like I took much away from it. It was a well-produced look at one of the more important accomplishments of MLK's life (and Oyelowo gives a suitably understated performance) but I don't really feel that my views of him were changed or deepened that much after seeing it.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

It lives up to the hype. Ava DuVernay has made quite a remarkable film, one that is certainly well-timed considering recent world events, that packs a powerful punch. It also has one of the best performances of 2014 (or any year, really). David Oyelowo has been turning in terrific work for years now, but his performance as Martin Luther King, Jr. is something else entirely. He already gets bonus points for his impeccable resemblance to the man, but this is such a stunning performance that it will be a travesty if he doesn't get an Oscar nomination for it. At the very least, he should receive a flood of offers after this film. The rest of the cast is really good too despite working in Oyelowo's shadow (although Carmen Ejogo gets a really excellent scene between her and Oyelowo). There have been many movies about the civil rights movement of the 60s, but Selma is the best of them all. A

• Like 2

It was a very by the numbers bio-pic, but it keeps you invested and David Oyelowo really embodies Martin Luther King Jr.  When it stacks up to this years other big biopics I still like Imitation Game and Theory of Everything more.  It was a lot like Lincoln to me, a great performance piece, very factual, but not particularly moving.  This wouldn't have made my top 10 of the year, but it would be in my top 20.

B/B+

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

This is incredible, powerful work. There isn't an element of this that isn't working on an extremely exceptional level, from the direction, to the gorgeous cinematography, to one of the best ensemble casts of the year, to a wonderfully structured screenplay that gives even the smallest roles more dimensions than any other movie would. I got pretty emotional at a few points here too. top-to-bottom amazing.

• Like 5

Coolio's reviewed summed this up for me. Probably my second favorite movie of the year after Whiplash, though I did find the characterization of LBJ to be highly questionable and historically dubious. Still, everything else hits on a near perfect level. Only the second movie to make me cry.

I thought it was pretty spectacular. I think it's the first movie that gave me chills at the title cards at the end. Oyelowo is worth the hype. Kinda wish it came out in November 2015 instead though if just for awardsy shit. Really good though. A+

• Like 2

I thought it was pretty spectacular. I think it's the first movie that gave me chills at the title cards at the end. Oyelowo is worth the hype. Kinda wish it came out in November 2015 instead though if just for awardsy shit. Really good though. A+

So, what you're saying is... Bomb ass film and everyone is extra and wack as fuck for not giving it the recognition it deserves? 

• Like 2