baumer

Master and Commander (2003)

15 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

A rather underrated film, so don't listen to IMDB scores...

This is a very old style film that we just never get anymore.

A film about two friends who go on a great adventure who put everything on the line for "king and Country" and for each other.

It use to be a common theme back in the days but such films are no longer made.

Great acting from Russel Crow and his friendship with Paul Bettany was great.

The other secondary characters are great as well with secondary storyline such as the "Jonah" or the trip to the

Galapagos Islands.  

The films highlite is the final ship battle which is really gritty but still fun and adventerous.

8.5/10

Anyone whoever  like a good old fashion action adventure film or a historical film should check this out.

I have recommended this film to dozens of my friends and almost all of them have loved it.

I adore this movie but I have to admit I was bored when I saw it at the theater. Still, there was somsething about it that made me want to see it again. So I catght it on DVD and ended up owning. Never got bored again. Terrific stuff. I guess that when POTC went progressively worse with turning pirates into caricature freedom fighters ( :rolleyes: ) my interest shifted to Navy and this was it.  

The kid who played midshipman that loses his arm sgould have gotten awards attention.

There's so much wonderful character exploration and plots that they could've explored in a sequel. Bethany's Maturin, for example, is a spy for the Admiralty against Napolean, and there's a great subplot spanning a couple of books where Aubrey gets discredited and dismissed from the service, and has to become a privateer to regain glory and honor. It's actually incredibly moving.

• Like 3

A real success, the work they put into it paid off. Really gives you a sense of a different time and mentality. Good performances from everyone, outstanding sets and good tension. It's not really my genre but I loved it. As Coolio mentioned, it's a shame they didn't do a sequel with maybe a more captivating or more straightforward story.

A really great movie. Great cinematography, gotta start with the greatest, great acting, especially from Bettany and from Crowe, great story, although some parts were predictable, and a good score that didn't really stand out. The only tracks that stood out where the ones sung by Crowe and Bettany and the one track that plays during the funeral of all people who died in the final battle.

A-

It was okay, I didn't find anyone in of the ship's crew particularly interesting or well realized. I even had problems with the cinematography, which had some pretty shots here and there, but it mostly looked like a digital movie that went through desaturation/brightness combo abuse. The beginning was very impressive and the Jonah is cursed plot point made the movie very interesting for a while. During the ending, all I could feel is indifference to what I was watching.

There a couple films left in Weir's filmography (Man on a Green Bike, Homesdale, The Cars That Ate Paris, The Plumber), but they are super hard to find, so this is probably the last one in the marathon.

The Way Back 90/100
The Truman Show 90/100
Gallipoli 85/100
Dead Poets Society 80/100
Picnic at Hanging Rock 75/100
Witness 75/100
The Mosquito Coast 70/100
The Year of Living Dangerously 65/100
Master and Commander 60/100
Fearless 55/100
Green Card 50/100
The Last Wave 45/100