baumer

Titanic | James Cameron | Pretend it's 1997 all over again (The pure awe of Titanic's run)

So what percentage of the gross so far do you think can be attributed to Kate Winslet's boobs?

(I'm only half joking here, I think most of my male friends who went to see it, went primarily because they could legally see boobs on a cinema screen despite being under 15 years old).

I'll probably get round to seeing this soon... 

I believe I may be the only 20 something or older cinema fan to never see either Titanic or Avatar at the cinema.Just never got round to it on either occasion and still haven't seen Avatar yet at all.

Edited by chasmmi

Well guys even though there is no tracking day to day guru says the daily grosses are huge. If it behaves like a typical blockbuster with great wom this weeken (New Years weekend) it will have a very small drop again.

Leo reminds me a lot to River Phoenix. He was well loved by girls, but was he a good actor? Once Leo grows, he will be forgotten and compared to other problematic "young stars" like Rob Lowe.

OTOH, I'm now absolutely in love with Kate Winslet. I really liked her in Sense and Sensibility and also in a little new zealand movie. Wish she can get traction after this, but I'm afraid she and Leo will be overshadowed by the ship and Cameron's visuals.

• Like 1

Remember Leo in Growing Pains? Obviously destined to be his only hit movie, don't see him outside of romantic comedies

More likely he will be the new indie star. Kinda like Johnny Depp or Robert Downey Jr. Both are respected in small circuits, but are not able to carry a big film on their shoulders. In fact, Depp has BO poison written all over him. I'm still embarrassed with Nick Of Time run.

By the way, anyone know where to buy the soundtrack? I hear it is selling like crazy

You could try The Wall or Media Play :pMy Heart Will Go On is turning out to be a massive hit! It's number one every night on my local radio countdown and on TRL!

True story, me and my buddy (both of us males of course) were driving down the main street in London (Ont) and we were playing the soundtrack to Titanic.  I swear,we both didn't look at each other because it made us tear up.  That's power folks.....

And here we are on New Years weekend and it looks like it's going to have another huge weekend.  I've now seen it three times in three weeks and now the weirdest thing is my mom wants to go see it with me.  

So what are you guys opinions on the worst movies of this year? I know one of mine will be Cop Land Stallone should just stick with action movies.

Worst movie?  Really?  I thought it was fantastic.

• Like 1

So how long will this movie last number one till?

I've been looking to the release schedule and it's sooooo weak. The first film I'm really interested to see is Sphere. This one will be a juggernaut, but it comes in february. Titanic will be almost out of cinemas by then.

My guess is Fallen will surely dethrone Titanic in MLK weekend.

I've been looking to the release schedule and it's sooooo weak. The first film I'm really interested to see is Sphere. This one will be a juggernaut, but it comes in february. Titanic will be almost out of cinemas by then.

My guess is Fallen will surely dethrone Titanic in MLK weekend.

Well, this weekend, again, it feel minisculely.  6% this weekend.  I realize it will fall more normally next weekend, but still, this is on fire right now.  Its going to be huge at Valentine's Day.  I'm thinking it will do close to 300.  I know that's a stretch but the WOM is nuts.

As Baumer said, a 6% dip for titanic..... Wow it's blown our initial predictions out of the water in only 3rd weekend.  already at 150m... 200m is now a given from here.... I agree with you baumer... 300m to 350m seems to be it's realistic target now... just insane!  but yeah expecting it to start to drop normally post this weekend.... Bond had a pretty strong weekend.... nearly up to 100m now but did not expect to bond to be so far behind titanic by now (I would have had bond ahead frankly)

To be honest good holds all around but titanic's hold was just amazing.  of interest apparently titanic had it's biggest single day yet... a cool 11m on New Years Day - A new record!  Speaking of records... I do believe thats the all time biggest third weekend ever!

This thing is now breaking records left right and center!  

# Title Jan 2 - 4 Dec 26 - 28 % Chg. Weeks AVG Cumulative Dist.

1 Titanic $ 33,315,278 $ 35,455,673 -6.0 3 $ 12,217 $ 157,467,971 Par.
2 Tomorrow Never Dies 13,798,856 20,480,931 -32.6 3 4,912 92,408,204 MGM
3 As Good As It Gets 12,217,707 12,606,928 -3.1 2 7,738 40,722,657 Sony
4 Mouse Hunt 8,418,001 9,702,770 -13.2 3 3,804 40,021,527 Dream.
5 Scream 2 7,284,026 9,085,992 -19.8 4 2,710 85,492,042 Miramax
6 Jackie Brown 7,264,531 9,292,248 -21.8 2 4,460 27,164,883 Miramax
7 Amistad 4,477,454 5,176,006 -13.5 4 6,289 26,714,127 Dream.
8 An American Werewolf in Paris 4,441,943 7,600,878 -41.6 2 2,566 20,056,331 BV
9 Flubber 4,403,217 5,407,445 -18.6 6 2,250 83,110,113 BV
10 Mr. Magoo 4,103,637 5,233,631 -21.6 2 2,210 15,616,635 BV

• Like 2

oh and i've seen it for a second time over the weekend.... and an update how titanic is going down under....

ummm i'm not sure how to say this, but titanic just posted it's biggest weekend yet....

Titanic opened with 3.2m and increased 9% over the christmas weekend (for which only 3 days amazingly counted cause cinemas close on christmas day in australia)  and finally over new years we got an amazing 3.6m which was a further 4% increase over the 2nd weekend.

we are now up to a 13.8m after 3 weekends which is amazing given the opening..... 

so after posting the all time 12th biggest opening, titanic's 2nd weekend was the 4th biggest and now the third is up to the all time biggest.

like the US it's holding like crazy.

• Like 1

That's pretty insane jajang.  As for next weekend here, it should come back to normal, I could see it dropping about 30-35%.

I've been looking to the release schedule and it's sooooo weak. The first film I'm really interested to see is Sphere. This one will be a juggernaut, but it comes in february. Titanic will be almost out of cinemas by then.My guess is Fallen will surely dethrone Titanic in MLK weekend.

I don't think so