#ED

Weekend Estimates - (BO.com forums <3 RTH)

Car's 2 was the 8th most succesful movie in America in 2011 with 191m.

That is not a flop.

Thank you.

This forum creates a new definition of flop almost every day.

Avengers makes $500M due to frontloaded opening.

"OH GOD!""WHAT A DISSAPOINTMENT!" 

"FLOPTASTIC! THE NEW FLOPPIT! FLOPVENGERS!" 

"Wait, guys, it still made $5-"

"THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!"

• Like 1

Some people swear up and down Guardians of the Galaxy will be Marvel's downfall.

These people simply lack imagination.

They sound like Fox execs skeptical of Star Wars A New Hope.

I`m not feeling GotG yet, not even among comic book fans outside of the Internet. So for now it`s an Internet movie. We`ll see later.

With $51M in 1 weekend, THE GREAT GATSBY out-grossed the domestic lifetime totals of every Baz Luhrmann film except MOULIN ROUGE! ($57M)

That alone though is not enough to be considered success or failure though,

Star Wars Episode 7 was the 8th most successful movie in America in 2015 with 191m

Tyler Perry presents Peeples 2 was the 8th most successful movie in America in 2015 with 191m

Would one argue that those are equally successful results if either were to ever happen? 

Domestically its box office couldn't even surpass its production budget, and it got the worst critical drubbing in Pixar's history. That's why I specified "domestic flop." Sure it made up for that overseas, but Cars 2 was Pixar's chink in its armor, without a question.

Going by your logic, many films in the yearly top 10 are domestic flops because they didn't surpass their production budget. Hollywood doesn't make movies just for America. These budgets are high because they hope/know the overseas audience will like their films.

Domestically its box office couldn't even surpass its production budget, and it got the worst critical drubbing in Pixar's history. That's why I specified "domestic flop." Sure it made up for that overseas, but Cars 2 was Pixar's chink in its armor, without a question.

It made 190M. That is more than most other animation studios make on any movie. A disappointment? Sure. Chink in the armor? Sure. But a flop? You guys have been overstating that for a long time. Or flop means something different than I've ever thought it meant.

Glad for IM3 -- the movie has grown on me a lot since seeing it. Beat TDKR please =)

• Like 1

That is not a flop.

Thank you.

This forum creates a new definition of flop almost every day.

I would like to add that it was the number 1 animated film that year DOM.

Glad for IM3 -- the movie has grown on me a lot since seeing it. Beat TDKR please =)

Worldwide that's a lock, but domestic not likely. Basically tied with TDKR after 10 days and has a lot more competition the rest of the way than TDKR had. It will do well to reach DMC's $423m considering the competition.

I would like to add that it was the number 1 animated film that year DOM.

Only because that year (2011) sucked ridiculously for animated movies. The previous year had 5 animated movies make it to 200m DOM and beyond and 2011 had 0 animated movies reach 200m!  :lol: