theultimatebiu

WKND BO: #StarTrek $70.6M/$84.1M, IronMan3 $35.2M/$337.1M, Gatsby $23.4M/$90.2M

I bet my theater falls in top 3 highest grossing this weekend. Most of the IMAX shows were close to sellouts.

I saw it at Regal Battery Park. My first time there. I liked it, although I'll admit I went in part because of the Shake Shack next door.

I went to Lincoln Square. The real IMAX footage was awesome.

I'm guessing the 3D didn't bother you. Maybe I'll do Man of Steel there. Oh wait, that's in 3D too! Nevermind.

Funny thing is that's where I saw the last Trek.  ;)

Edited by RichWS
  • Like 1

Four years ago, Star Trek opened in a slightly different format. It was slotted into the second weekend of May with a Friday release kicking off with Thursday night shows in all theaters starting at 7:00pm. It had an IMAX release in 138 locations, but was all 2D. Its opening was $75.2M over the three-day period and $79.2M including $4M from Thursday night shows. Add in that film's Monday gross to make a similar 4.5-day start, and its $86.7M was bigger than the $84.1M of Darknessdespite the new chapter having higher 2D ticket prices plus 3D surcharges plus 200 additional IMAX screens.

Studio research showed that the audience was 64% male and 73% 25 and older. A very high 16% of the gross ($13.5M) came from IMAX indicating that fans were willing to pay extra in this case given that about 30 minutes of the film were shot with those special cameras making for a premium experience. Overall, 45% of the gross came from 3D screens including IMAX

GURU

Yikes at the audience being 73% 25 or over. That's the problem right there. This didn't attract young people.

Yikes at the audience being 73% 25 or over. That's the problem right there. This didn't attract young people.

Gatsby....! :angry:

Might mean good news for legs though if the movie is skewing older.

Gatsby....! :angry:

Might mean good news for legs though if the movie is skewing older.

I think ST09 piqued the interest of the young crowd for the first time with Star Trek. But then this 4 year wait lost the attention of the new young audience the series gained, and now it's gone back to just having the older fanbase its always had.

I think ST09 piqued the interest of the young crowd for the first time with Star Trek. But then this 4 year wait lost the attention of the new young audience the series gained, and now it's gone back to just having the older fanbase its always had.

There was ZERO youthful spirit in STID trailers. ZERO. The movie felt like made for older crowd so Paramount shouldn`t complain.

Interesting estimated Sunday holds. STiD at 24% drop while every other movie in top 10 is at or well over 30%. I think other than STiD every other movie should increase from estimates as Monday is a holiday in Canada. 

:PHey I'll be 25 in about a year and a half myself. Unfortunately though, the over 25 crowd is not what tends to drive blockbusters. You need the teens in particular.

The over 25 crowd can drive certain films. ;)

Interesting estimated Sunday holds. STiD at 24% drop while every other movie in top 10 is at or well over 30%. I think other than STiD every other movie should increase from estimates as Monday is a holiday in Canada. 

I'd be surprised by that hold, even with the monday holiday in Canada ... I get the feeling that 84 million will become 83 million at best tomorrow. 

I saw STID, it was good IMO, not quite as good as ST09, but fine.

Edited by agkman

Saw Iron Man 3...I don't know exactly what to think of it. I thought the themes it tackled were ambitious enough and they were mostly executed well enough...gah, I know I liked it, but there's something about it that's nagging me.

Also, the supposed "twist":

Umm..ok? I saw it coming a mile away. And they amped up the humor a bit too much with him.

Saw Iron Man 3...I don't know exactly what to think of it. I thought the themes it tackled were ambitious enough and they were mostly executed well enough...gah, I know I liked it, but there's something about it that's nagging me.

Also, the supposed "twist":

Umm..ok? I saw it coming a mile away. And they amped up the humor a bit too much with him.

Don't be hating on Trevor!!!

• Like 2

Saw Iron Man 3...I don't know exactly what to think of it. I thought the themes it tackled were ambitious enough and they were mostly executed well enough...gah, I know I liked it, but there's something about it that's nagging me. Also, the supposed "twist": 

I said this same thing. Turned into a complete joke.

There was ZERO youthful spirit in STID trailers. ZERO. The movie felt like made for older crowd so Paramount shouldn`t complain.

Fuck the young crowd. There's more than enough baby boomers growing up to Star Trek to drive a movie like STiD. If they helped Skyfall, they could help STiD as well.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1