theultimatebiu

WKND BO: #StarTrek $70.6M/$84.1M, IronMan3 $35.2M/$337.1M, Gatsby $23.4M/$90.2M

Probably a 3rd of the US population is Latino (a number i just pulled out of my ass but i'm probably not that far off). Every one of them will watch Fast 6 at least three times.

Its more like 20%

Edited by Shpongle

Cumberbatch was very good in STiD. I quite liked that they for the most part made his character more reserved and functional in dialogue/presentation rather than trying to replicate Montalban. The role was underwritten but that's what you get when in the first 45 minutes or so you barely see him and in the middle of the film the villain of the film is someone entirely else, and then he disappears for a big chunk of the final act before suddenly popping back in again.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

Fast 6 is trash, people seem into trash.

Only because you think it is trash, that means everyone has to think the same? Fast 6 was amazing and I hope it destroys everything in his path. It would be a deserving victory for Vin Diesel and the team.

• Like 2

No, his role was really underdeveloped. Which makes the decision to revolve the marketing around him that much more foolish.

True for the early to middle part of the movie but my biggest complaint was about the movie, I thought overall writing was a bit messy and story was retread. I did like Cumberbatch, he played the role well.  

Edited by druv10

Yes, because their latest movies weren`t up to the snuff yet Pixar hype was enough to net underwhelming Brave awards that should have been lavished on other, much more deserving animation.

Such as?

Thing with ST09 and KFP is that well-received first movie doesn`t mean there`s huge interest for more. Some franchises translate into huge sequels some don`t. I don`t exactly know why it is so but I`d say that there`s a difference between liking somehting or loving something in general and really getting invested in something (usually a character). If something creates an obsession, that tends to explode. I don`t think that ST09 appreciation went anywhere close to that.

Even if you have a movie that leaves people wanting more and a sequel that is higher quality is doesn't guarantee an increase.

Look at Spider-man 2.

TDK, IM3, Skyfall, DMC, TF2 all had big increases because the characters had true four quadrant appeal that hadn't been fully exploited yet. Star Trek and Fast and the Furious are not under-exposed, four quadrant franchises.

Only because you think it is trash, that means everyone has to think the same? Fast 6 was amazing and I hope it destroys everything in his path. It would be a deserving victory for Vin Diesel and the team.

People are so quick to throw around superlatives like amazing... The word lost meaning. That pandering trash i see in the trailer doesn't look amazing to me. Maybe it's false advertising...

Such as?

Brave was shit that got attention because it had a Katniss rip-off in it, and not a particulary good rip-off. Cars movies are crap. I don`t know their filmography too well but I know that those got underwhelming reception and even Pixarites agreed Brave didn`t deserve the Oscar.

• Like 1

Even if you have a movie that leaves people wanting more and a sequel that is higher quality is doesn't guarantee an increase.

Look at Spider-man 2.

TDK, IM3, Skyfall, DMC, TF2 all had big increases because the characters had true four quadrant appeal that hadn't been fully exploited yet. Star Trek and Fast and the Furious are not under-exposed, four quadrant franchises.

Skyfall, 4 quadrant? You mean kids and families went to see Skyfall in drove? :huh:

Look at Spider-man 2.

SM2`s problem was that characters weren`t likable. MJ was a bitch from start to finish and magic and romance of the first movie was gone. Only villain was better but that doesn`t make ladies watch 10 times. DMC increased precisely because chicks dug Elizabeth/Jack pairing and went to see the movie over and over because of it. 

• Like 1

People are so quick to throw around superlatives like amazing... The word lost meaning. That pandering trash i see in the trailer doesn't look amazing to me. Maybe it's false advertising...

It may be trash for you. For me it is awesome stuff and it was an amazing action movie and a perfect theater experience. People were cheering all through the movie. Never happened to me before.

Edited by CJohn

I think Fast 6 will run into the same problem Trek 2 did. The franchise peaked and maxed out public interest with the last movie. We shall see next weekend.

I know OS ≠ DOM, but Fast 6 already looks like it's over performing whereas ST2 wasn't. I think it bodes well for it.

Skyfall, 4 quadrant? You mean kids and families went to see Skyfall in drove? :huh:

Four quadrant: man over 25, man under 25, woman over 25, woman under 25. So yes, Skyfall was 4 quadrant.

• Like 1