CJohn

Thursday Numbers | The Hangover 3 - 11.8M (includes WED night) | FF6 - 6.5M (previews + midnights)

Wow, I mean..those numbers could (really worst case) mean, that H3 is opening 4th place over the 4d memorial weekend.

Nah, don't lower your expectations too much. This is just another case of people not knowing about a Thursday opening.

“Hangover,” meanwhile, could total roughly $10 million less than had been anticipated on Wednesday, with early matinee grosses suggesting a five-day opening in the $65 million range.
The Memorial Day scheduling of both “Fast and Furious” and “Hangover” was a surprising choice, since both films target mostly young males. Universal claimed the date on March 22, 2012 — nearly eight months before Warner Bros. dated its pic. According to sources, director Todd Phillips insisted on the holiday berth for “Hangover III” after the success of the sequel.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/fast-and-furious-6-revs-up-for-85-million-100-million-bow-1200487355/

Edited by RichWS
  • Like 5

I think HO3 should have opened latter in the summer.

The summer weekdays alone would allowed a decent gross. 

I can't believe they did not realize that fast six being a film that targets the same demo's would outshine it and not the other way around. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Who has the final say regarding release dates? The studio or the director?

Depends on what's in his contract. They can negotiate for different things but usually the studio has the final say so over that. But you never know. He's had two mega successful installments so that may have been a concession the studio gave him.