#ED

Weekend Estimate #s FF6: 34.5 NYSM 27.8 AE: 27.3 TH3: 15.9

Sorry guys! Had to post this! :wub::D:P

What do you wanna bet that it doesn't open under 40m?

Will Smith since 2001's "Ali" before his historic streak released 10 films.  Of those 10 films only 1 didn't gross 100 Million. "7 Pounds".  9 other films gross from 130-257 Million.  That has to be one of the most consistent box office runs in history.  The only reason "7 Pounds" under performed was cause it was a dark character and that alienated Will's fanbase who doesn't like to see him in that type of a role. For people to say Will doesn't take risk (Since he didn't take Django) obviously didn't see "7 Pounds" which was WAY out of character for Will and he suffered at the box office for it.

"After Earth" is a LOCK for 100 Million.  Right now I'm seeing somewhere between "Prometheus" and "Karate Kid".  So that would put it 130-145 Million.  The May 31st move was brilliant cause now that gives "After Earth" 2 whole weeks to clean up.  "Superman" is going to have a lot of hype this give "After Earth" room to breathe.  The only wild card is M. Knight but it seems marketing has done everything to make it like he doesn't even exist  lol.  This is a Will Smith movie featuring his son.   How has those projects done?

Happyness - 163Million

KK - 179 Million

So again How does this gross less than 100 Million?  I see a 50+ OW and an over 2.5 multiplier approaching 3.  People continue to underestimate how loved Will Smith is.  People just love watching him on the Big Screen. 

Out. Will Smith and Sci Fi = hit 160M.

Mark my words: $100m within 2 weeks, maybe even sooner.

Their last movies..

Will Smith: MIB3 70% RT, $179m domestic. True, it was another sequel, but remember, MIB2 sucked..

Jaden Smith: Karate Kid 66%RT, $176m domestic. Unnecessary remake, Jaden has star power..

M. Night: Last Air Bender 6% RT, $132m domestic. His worst film to date, even the trailers looked bad..

Now, After Earth, has some amazing visuals, the trailers look appealing, and it has star power. It kind of gives off an Avatar feel, but with earth being the "alien" planet, 1000 years in the future, with everything evolved.

I'm telling you guys. The quality is NOT going to be as bad as Air Bender, I honestly see this being his first fresh movie with at least 60%. With Will and Jaden being in the same film (only other time it has happened, was Pursuit of Happyness, and it grossed $163m), and it's being released in the end of June. It will have summer legs, it is Sci-Fi, visually looks good, and internationally, the people will love it.

This will gross passed $100m.

My prediction? Hmmm...

$62m opening weekend

$192m domestic

$293m international

$485m worldwide 

Believe.

• Like 3

That has nothing to do with it. A decent movie with Jaden as the star has already been made. Shyamalan is a director who's forgotten how to direct actors.

Smith's idea. His name got this movie made. He hired MNS. He was left ENTIRELY OUT OF THE MARKETING. This was being sold as a Smith Summer Movie and it isn't even going to open well at all. Shyamalan can't be blamed for the weak opening if the GA had no idea he was behind it. To me, this rest entirely on Smith's shoulders.
  • Like 5

Nepotism gets your foot in the door. The door doesn't stay open unless you deliver results.

If KK hadn't been a huge breakout hit, it's pretty debatable whether JS would've been cast here.

Says a lot about people when they hate on a 15 year-old kid who, up until After Earth, had actually exceeded expectations. 

Smith's idea. His name got this movie made. He hired MNS.He was left ENTIRELY OUT OF THE MARKETING. This was being sold as a Smith Summer Movie and it isn't even going to open well at all. Shyamalan can't be blamed for the weak opening if the GA had no idea he was behind it.To me, this rest entirely on Smith's shoulders.

It's like Iron Man 3 in real life. :P

Smith's idea. His name got this movie made. He hired MNS.He was left ENTIRELY OUT OF THE MARKETING. This was being sold as a Smith Summer Movie and it isn't even going to open well at all. Shyamalan can't be blamed for the weak opening if the GA had no idea he was behind it.To me, this rest entirely on Smith's shoulders.

People are more savvy these days. Trust me, people know it's a Shyamalan film. 

Who wants to bet me that Purge pulls AT LEAST $33M next weekend? I mean damn if TDI can do it in January with buzz coming a week before, I think TP can do it, since I mean its had buzz for weeks, more GA buzz than Trek, interesting premise, and its own trending topics. #IfThePurgeWasReal, #ThePurgeLooksWEEKS ago, I saw bunches of people saying things like this "I wanna see F6,TH3, and The purge", "im ready for F6, man of steel, and the purge", "movies im excited for - gatsby, the purge, world war z"...whenever people made a list, Purge was 1 of the 3, always. IDK if it can pull main adults on OW, but this will do at least $33M with YA alone. Any bets or agrees?

This is so perfect. Disappointed I can't give you a like for every quoted post.

I didn't say he wasn't a draw. I said he wasn't that big a draw to open a movie ALONE, without the movie being good or stuff like, to over 50M...

I see it opening mid twenties. People need to like the movie too. At least a bit of interested. There is none in this.

You were right!

Edited by iTz OnLy ED
  • Like 1

You are right. People who run studios know what is going on. Jaden and MNS are easy targets because Internet hates them but this is Will Smith's failure.