Dementeleus

Man of Steel (2013)

Man of Steel (2013)  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

If someone wanted to use this movie as exhibit A for 'why blockbusters suck now' I wouldn't disagree. It's been a crap summer and this movie didn't come close to saving it. Until there's some exciting Batman reboot news, there is no big movie in production I can honestly say I care about (Interstellar excepted). Blockbusters are worse now. Normally I'd put it down to me just getting older but... I think something has been lost.

Eh, not every year has had some movie that everyone loves and make big bucks. Last year's "masterpiece" tandem of Avengers, DKR, and Skyfall was a rare beast.

She knew since she tracked him down by his 'real' name, Clark Kent.

That's why she said "Welcome to the PLANET"

Oh yeah, I forgot the numerous times she was at the Kent farm. :lol:

Eh, not every year has had some movie that everyone loves and make big bucks. Last year's "masterpiece" tandem of Avengers, DKR, and Skyfall was a rare beast.

True, but even then, of those three, only Skyfall is the one that has any replay value for me. Probably because it makes small set pieces feel big by way of atmosphere rather than just throwing money at the screen. That's what I hope for in future blockbusters.

Oh yeah, I forgot the numerous times she was at the Kent farm. :lol:

True, but even then, of those three, only Skyfall is the one that has any replay value for me. Probably because it makes small set pieces feel big by way of atmosphere rather than just throwing money at the screen. That's what I hope for in future blockbusters.

mind you, Skyfall costed 200m

I wanted to love, I really wanted, this summer has been very disappointing so far and MOS was my last hope. 7.5/10

the first act was pretty terrible (by pretty terrible I mean compared to expectations): bad editing choices, uninspired acting and the over the top philosofical Jonathan Kent. Then a tornado happens and I see myself crying, the movie improves exponentially and for the first time MOS delivered the quality that promised. The third act was problematic, it had two amazing scenes (Supes breaking Zod's neck and when Jenny is about to die),  but too much action and sometimes less is more. 

first act: 6.0/10 C+

second act: 9.5/10 A+

third act: 7.5/10 B

Superman Returns was better  

I was in denial too, but I realised that SR was a better movie when I got home :P

i kinda get what you mean, i fee this need to rewatch superman returns just to pinpoint what exactly but i think problem here for me is i connected with story and characters in SR even if there were things that i disliked or could have been better

maybe its just because it was more classic superman take, i might yet learn to love this one!

you don't always fall in love right away sometimes a film can grow on you over time ...

maybe marvel movies have spoiled me silly for other superheroes in regard to film tone and story flow (now i write that this seems most plausible reason )

i enjoyed oblivion way more than man of steel!

i'm gonna go see if there's a thread listing everyone top 10 films of the summer which is IM3 /STID

• Like 1

i kinda get what you mean, i fee this need to rewatch superman returns just to pinpoint what exactly but i think problem here for me is i connected with story and characters in SR even if there were things that i disliked or could have been better

maybe its just because it was more classic superman take, i might yet learn to love this one!

you don't always fall in love right away sometimes a film can grow on you over time ...

maybe marvel movies have spoiled me silly for other superheroes in regard to film tone and story flow (now i write that this seems most plausible reason )

i enjoyed oblivion way more than man of steel!

i'm gonna go see if there's a thread listing everyone top 10 films of the summer which is IM3 /STID

I think you can make a thread in Speakeasy forum.

• Like 1

TDK/Avengers/Superman:The MovieSpider-man 2X-Men: First ClassX-Men 2Batman BeginsIron ManThe CrowTDKRSpider-manThorIM3X-MenMOSMan of Steel is a better movie than Superman Returns but Superman Returns is a better made movie....if that makes any sense.

• Like 1