baumer

Monday #s (Guru)

you dont just add drops. if a film drops 50% on consecutive days overall drop is not 100% but just 75%. So its not a good comparison.

Monday drop is anyway nothing to do with thursday number which was anyway Walmart money and not exactly tickets sold.

What do you mean "Walmart money"? WB still made money selling tickets to Walmart at the end of the day.

Anyways, I did rough numbers to prove how GOOD the drop is comparing it to TS3. Using your exact method, yes TS3 has a better hold but not by a large amount, and considering it's a more family friendly film it evens things out with MOS.

Not sure what your point is exactly.

His point was that Man of Steel had a good Monday drop. Simple.

Its a good drop not great. Good way to look at it is look at saturday to monday drop since sunday drop was skewed because of father's day.

True test is looking at Monday to Thursday drop. I think MOS will drop hard on wednesday.

What do you mean "Walmart money"? WB still made money selling tickets to Walmart at the end of the day.

Anyways, I did rough numbers to prove how GOOD the drop is comparing it to TS3. Using your exact method, yes TS3 has a better hold but not by a large amount, and considering it's a more family friendly film it evens things out with MOS.

Not sure what your point is exactly.

walmart buying tickets does not burn demand. If the movie actually sold 12M worth of tickets(walmart supposedly paid higher than normal ticket price) to movie goers we can consider that as burnt demand. Anyway thursday previews have nothing to do with monday drop.

Anyway I am not saying drop is bad. Its ok and real test will be on wednesday.

Considering I make it to the movies 4 or 5 times a year at best, I'm astounded people have the time to see the same film multiple times.

What stops you from only going 4-5 times a year? It's not cause there are only 4-5 films worth seeing each year.

And don't say "a life" or something equally silly. We all do more than "just see movies" as well. 

you dont just add drops. if a film drops 50% on consecutive days overall drop is not 100% but just 75%. So its not a good comparison.Monday drop is anyway nothing to do with thursday number which was anyway Walmart money and not exactly tickets sold.

Well said about how to compound percentages :)So just going by estimates MoS Fri-Mon drop is about 71.4%Sat-Mon drop is 65.3%TS3Fri-Mon drop is 62.1%Sat-Mon is 58%Better holds so far for TS3. Too early to tell about legs yet but lets see if the pattern holds.

Thats a pretty good hold for NYSM, 58% drop. This movie looks like it's doing its own thing and haven't been affected much by competitions.How's that drop for TITE? I don't remember its Sun number.

Yup definitely encouraged that its holding its own very nicely. TiTE and NYSM were MoS counter-programming and maybe there was a chance TiTE could eat into that audience too much. Looks like there's enough room for both!
  • Like 2

Yeah, after TASM I've become a lot more cautious when it comes to the box office of reboots. And if it doesn't reach the $300m mark, I feel like TASM was a lesson that should be learned by everyone: these films are to estabilish a new take on old characters, not break box office records. The fact that both films did with their runs are just a bonus. 

Do you actually know of any other movies except for TASM?

• Like 2

I'm still confused why we're even comparing a complete kids movies to MoS.

True but they opened around the same time of month and both big blockbusters with strong appeal to those out of school. And TS3 is not just a kids movie. Edited by WileECoyote

It's not a fair comparison I agree. But TS3 is definitely not a complete kid movies. It wouldn't get to 400M if it is.

Well said about how to compound percentages :)So just going by estimatesMoSFri-Mon drop is about 71.4%Sat-Mon drop is 65.3%TS3Fri-Mon drop is 62.1%Sat-Mon is 58%Better holds so far for TS3. Too early to tell about legs yet but lets see if the pattern holds.

For comparison with Father's day Superhero movies:

GL

Fri-Mon drop is 76%

Sat-Mon drop is 70%

TIH

Fri-Mon drop is 72%

Sat-Mon drop is 67.5%

Hulk

Fri-Mon drop is 75%

Sat-Mon drop is  72.5%

• Like 1

I guess better wording would be "More of a kids movie than MoS".

Unless I missed the part where...

Woody gets his neck snapped

Edited by #ED
  • Like 1

For comparison with Father's day Superhero movies:

GL

Fri-Mon drop is 76%

Sat-Mon drop is 70%

TIH

Fri-Mon drop is 72%

Sat-Mon drop is 67.5%

Hulk

Fri-Mon drop is 75%

Sat-Mon drop is  72.5%

I like this.

• Like 1

Only reason is using TS3 as a goal legs-wise. I agree they're different films and can't be compared, but TS3 drops are interesting to compare against even though MOS can't match it. It's interesting to see how close MOS will manage to TS3 drops and holds.