lilmac

Sony and Disney to begin streaming movies still in theaters

The pilot project will start in South Korea and if it is a success (which it will be in the most connected country on Earth), we'll see it expand geographically and more studios/movies.  This is the future folks.  

Pro:

As a movie-goer I applaud the (apparently) cheaper option.  Certain movies though I will definitely watch in a theater.  

Con:

As a box-office enthusiast, it will depress box-office grosses just as Thursday night grosses will do and make tracking more difficult.    

Link: http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/24/4458644/disney-sony-on-demand-streaming-korea

I feel like we get stories like this all the time and then theaters threaten to not show the movies anymore. No idea how this will turn out so whatever. The window between theaters and streaming is already very low too. Zero Dark Thirty was on iTunes less than two months after its wide release.

Theaters still will have a time exclusive if I'm reading this right. It's not a bad idea to extend the tail end of its run via VOD. It's a different way of expansion since movies can lose screen counts very rapidly especially during the summer.

• Like 1

Why not? :ph34r:

Unless you're poor it's shameful.I mean I understand illegal downloads when prices are overly high because it is not acceptable.But when you have cheap option it's spiteful.you remember me people downloading smartphone games which cost 0.99$...
  • Like 1

LOL I remember that experience! It didn't worked. Tangled was doing very well in theaters.

Disney also conducted an on-demand test in Portugal with a six-week window for animated movie Tangled a year later but has not repeated the experiment until now.

• Community Manager

Theaters still will have a time exclusive if I'm reading this right. It's not a bad idea to extend the tail end of its run via VOD. It's a different way of expansion since movies can lose screen counts very rapidly especially during the summer.

Yes, theaters will have a time exclusive.

This is an awful fucking idea. the moment it hits VOD it'll be all over the internet. Yes, there is a theatre exclusive time, but still this will be cutting into theatre time, revenues, grosses, and the experience. Movies aren't meant for people to watch at home unless you've somehow got a Sony 4K projector and a Dolby atmos system. (Which if you do, then go ahead and watch it at home) The experience for any movie is totally different in theatre than at home and it is heartbreaking to see people economise in this fashion. 

• Like 3

This is an awful fucking idea. the moment it hits VOD it'll be all over the internet. Yes, there is a theatre exclusive time, but still this will be cutting into theatre time, revenues, grosses, and the experience. Movies aren't meant for people to watch at home unless you've somehow got a Sony 4K projector and a Dolby atmos system. (Which if you do, then go ahead and watch it at home) The experience for any movie is totally different in theatre than at home and it is heartbreaking to see people economise in this fashion. 

Agreed, I love going to theater. It is always a great experience even if I do not like the movie.