#ED

Wknd Est: MU - 46.1M; The Heat - 40M; WWZ - 29.8M; WHD - 25.7M; MoS - 20.8M; (pg 104)

I'd rather watch DMC again than COTBP -- the ridiculous set-pieces (and Nighy as Davey Jones) are so much fun they counter the bloated parts. One other bonus is that the movie starts weak and gets stronger throughout, finishing on a total high.

Speaking of COTBP, I wonder how the test screenings went for that film. It had incredible WOM with the general audience. I bet Disney was over the moon during the testing phase.

Definitely, it's domestic gross is all built on WOM. It had over 6.5+ multiplier, which is just phenomenal.  :)

• Like 1

Speaking of COTBP, I wonder how the test screenings went for that film. It had incredible WOM with the general audience. I bet Disney was over the moon during the testing phase.

Which makes it more baffling how difficult of a time Disney had marketing it. I thought the trailer during the Two Towers was one of the stupidest trailers I had ever seen.

Definitely, it's domestic gross is all built on WOM. It had over 6.5+ multiplier, which is just phenomenal.  :)

The 6.5 is a bit misleading. It opened on a Wednesday, meaning the multiplier would be around a 5.2 if you average its weekend and 5-day openings. Still, a 5.2 multiplier is incredible for a movie with an opening around $58m (if it came out on a Friday).

• Like 1

You serious? How about the MILLIONS of people who loved the first movie precisely BECAUSE of the funny dialogue and Depp's surprisingly great performance?

Depp had a great performance in DMC. All I care about is the plotline (the love between Will and Elizabeth included) and the action scenes.

The 6.5 is a bit misleading. It opened on a Wednesday, meaning the multiplier would be around a 5.2 if you average its weekend and 5-day openings. Still, a 5.2 multiplier is incredible for a movie with an opening around $58m (if it came out on a Friday).

I had forgotten about the Wednesday opening. 6.5 was stuck in my head for the multiplier. 

Your point about DMC is valid as COTBP had some genuine performances. Sparrow by Depp was breath of fresh air.  :D

You serious? How about the MILLIONS of people who loved the first movie precisely BECAUSE of the funny dialogue and Depp's surprisingly great performance?

I only bothered to watch DMC in theaters just because COTBP was a surprisingly good swashbuckling comedy (how could we know a movie made after a freaking Disneyland attraction could be any good) and Depp killed it.(I only catched it on DVD because of my initial doubt). Even Disney didn't see him coming. He was not supposed to be the highlight or the hero.

Then DMC came with COTBP's good WOM feeding its hype. And for me, it was a letdown like they overdo what was an unexpected success even for the creators. With DMC, they overcooked the recipe they thought they cracked with more whimsical, non-sensical, obnoxious characters in a mess of a plot with stuff piled on other stuff to the point of bulimia.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1