AniNate

Pixels | Chris Columbus | July 24, 2015 | Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Michelle Monaghan, Josh Gad, Peter Dinklage

If this opens in the mid 20s you have to put the blame on Sony. This was their only potential tentpole of the summer and they really dropped the ball on marketing. I've barely seen anything.

The marketing has been pretty good, and they started way back with March Madness, instead of waiting the standard 1 month before. Just because you personally havent seen anything doesnt mean its not there. I personsally see Pixels ads all over the place, so I guess our views balance out.

Yeah, IMHO it's not lack of exposure, it's just that the exposure isn't getting me interested in watching the movie.

You can have trailers playing around the clock, but if the movie doesn't look appealing, that won't accomplish anything.

Mid 20s would be really bad. This movie should transcend Sandlers audience.

Thing is...if it does mid-20s...does it mean that it failed to do so...or that it did, and Sandlers just lost most of his audience? And the rest are just scared off by Sandler?

And here I was thinking my 40 prediction was reasonable.

This is interesting, Sony have spent around 26M on advertising Pixels on TV. Not a lot of us seem to have seen the TV Spots because they run mainly on Nick and Cartoon Network. They are targeting a very specific audience with this.

do0ZvWD.png

I'd be really surprised if this opening as low as 20m. I think it'll be in the mid 40s. 

You underestimate the power of the Sandler effect. They really should have just done a trailer just showing the video game characters invading Earth without Sandler appearing and hoped that people didn't realise he was in this.

This is interesting, Sony have spent around 26M on advertising Pixels on TV. Not a lot of us seem to have seen the TV Spots because they run mainly on Nick and Cartoon Network. They are targeting a very specific audience with this.

do0ZvWD.png

Where did you get that data from? Edited by marveldcfox

Embargoed till the very end, not unexpected I guess.

Over / Under Terminator Genisys (26%)? 

Or maybe that's aiming too high considering the last results from Sandler (11% for The Cobbler) and James (6% for Paul Blart 2).

So audiences are sick of Sandler because he had two flops in a row in 2011 and 2012?

Even horrendous Jack and Jill or Blended had decent legs despite unappealing concepts.

And this is quite an ensemble movie (James, Dinklage) where the concept is the real star. 

Yeah, IMHO it's not lack of exposure, it's just that the exposure isn't getting me interested in watching the movie.

You can have trailers playing around the clock, but if the movie doesn't look appealing, that won't accomplish anything.

I agree completely.  A lot of people like to blame marketing for a movies lack of success when really it has been marketed enough, it's just that the genre or story doesn't attract enough viewers.  There is a point of diminishing return with marketing.  Either a concept hits with an audience or it doesn't and all the extra marketing in the world won't change that.

This probably won't be a bust but if I had to choose between bust-disappointing-average-surprising-breakout . . . . I'd predict disappointing (based on budget and studio hopes).