Pacific Rim (2013)  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Yes, but also because Cost of Living is awesome, and Scott Pilgrim is one of my favorite movies, and Film Crit HULK was there. Lots of awesome. I love LA. 

Film Crit HULK is such a quiet, unassuming guy.  Which is hilarious considering the persona he lives by on the internet.  

Its acting and scripting may be inconsistent, but it's just so much fun. Del Toro knows how to do a popcorn film for real and hopefully other directors learn from this, reversing some of the damage Bay did to the genre. 8.5/10

Lol
  • Like 1

Lol

Why lol?

To me, at least, PR felt like a legitimate blockbuster. Stays true to its roots, has likable characters to increase the stakes, some good comic relief and unlike Bay's crapfests, you CAN ACTUALLY SEE WHAT IS HAPPENING. No product placement or jingoism either.

Edited by JonnyCraig

This is simply fucking awesome. In some ways, I feel like I've never seen a film like this. This is a beautiful film with vibrant colors and gorgeous set pieces. Del Toro's stamp is all over this one.The characters are all great, and Idris Elba in particular stood out to me. Always thought he was somewhat underrated, and he really stood out here. The "Number 1, don't touch me....Number 2...don't touch me" line was great.What separates this film from standard blockbuster fare was the emotional core situated around Mako and her past. My favorite scene was the flashback scene in which we are placed into her world as a young girl. In fact this scene sums up just what makes this film so awesome....it's beautiful and yet badass at the same time. Many times during the action scenes I would be just as into the shots and colors as I was the action. What's the last blockbuster that has been able to do this?And since the inevitable comparisons have begun, there can be no doubt that Pacific Rim is objectively better than any Transformers film. Let the 12-15 year-old Bay fanboys have their fun while the adults can enjoy one of the more badass blockbusters in the last few years.B+

Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 5

This is simply fucking awesome.In some ways, I feel like I've never seen a film like this. In many ways, this is a beautiful film with vibrant colors and gorgeous set pieces. Del Toro's stamp is all over this one.The characters are all great, and Idris Elba in particular stood out to me. Always thought he was somewhat underrated, and he really stood out here. The "Number 1, don't touch me....Number 2...don't touch line" was great.What separates this film from standard blockbuster fare was the emotional core situated around Mako and her past. My favorite scene was the flashback scene in which we are placed into her world as a young girl.In fact this scene sums up just what makes this film so awesome....it's beautiful and yet badass at the same time. Many times during the action scenes I would be just as into the shots and colors as I was the action. What's the last blockbuster that has been able to do this?And since the inevitable comparisons have begun, there can be no doubt that Pacific Rim is objectively better than any Transformers film. Let the 12-15 year-old Bay fanboys have their fun while the adults can enjoy one of the more badass blockbusters in the last few years.B+

yeah all these adults are really doing a good job driving PR to success while it is clear only Bay fanboys saw the TF movies. 

Why lol? To me, at least, PR felt like a legitimate blockbuster. Stays true to its roots, has likable characters to increase the stakes, some good comic relief and unlike Bay's crapfests, you CAN ACTUALLY SEE WHAT IS HAPPENING. No product placement or jingoism either.

I LOL'd because its clear you have no idea what you are talking about, so I thought it was funny.And yeah, because Bay really damaged the genre by giving the audience a trilogy that they clearly enjoy. You can see what was going on in both movies, unless you are Steve Wonder so ease, enough with these comments suggesting that Bay's action is hard to follow because it just makes you seem dumb.Oh and Shia Labuf was far more relatable than anyone in PR.

yep, Shia was good in TF,did exactly what his role (everyman audiences projects themselves into) asked from him. It also helped that, unlike Who?nnum's Riley, he wasn't a super-pilot or super-whatever but ordinary kid in extraordinary circumstances. It also helped in Avatar that Jake was crippled since that makes him vulnerable and less super. Losing a brother alone, without giving the hero a physical impediment, does not remove unrelatable superiority that comes with a profession.

Edited by fishnets

^^ Give us a bit more of a review, brutha. :)

I loved it. Its just as epic as it ought to be. I absolutely adore just how goofy and colorful and weird it is compared to most blockbusters. The art direction and cinematography are surprisingly creative and beautiful even, and as people have said there's no cynical "lets make money" attitude to be found. Its a joyous experience. Maybe it goes on a bit long, but there have been few things this year I've enjoyed as much as I enjoyed Pacific Rim. 

• Like 5

I LOL'd because its clear you have no idea what you are talking about, so I thought it was funny.And yeah, because Bay really damaged the genre by giving the audience a trilogy that they clearly enjoy. You can see what was going on in both movies, unless you are Steve Wonder so ease, enough with these comments suggesting that Bay's action is hard to follow because it just makes you seem dumb.Oh and Shia Labuf was far more relatable than anyone in PR.

As someone who grew up cherishing the original Transformers, TF2 (which I was dragged to) made me feel like my memories were being beaten with a crow bar for 150 minutes. I'll admit that the first Transformers was okay for what it was, but that second film practically gave me nightmares. Audiences enjoying it doesn't automatically make it good, as you should know. Bay knows how to make things go kaboom, but that is expected and to me, at least, his lack of respect for the roots of the franchises he capitalizes on and the disposable nature of his characters just takes away the awe and emotion that one sees in a great blockbuster. In addition, the rampant product placement and jingoism of Bay's films detracts from my enjoyment quite a bit (something which PR is largely free of.)

Shia was good for the requirements of the character, but he still seemed rather disposable and the enormous absurdity of the characters around him didn't make me see him as a true protagonist. PR is ultimately tied together by a common theme in Del Toro's films, how one recovers from loss in extreme circumstances, and I felt he managed to bring some humanity to his characters as a result of this common thread (they aren't the best written but it's something.) A true spectacle needs to have some humanity to it, otherwise you end up with an extended video game cut scene and to me (along with the vast majority of the people who saw it), PR succeeded in that regard. It was also a relief that the female co-protagonist in a largely male-centric blockbuster was actually given a respectful, subtle characterization (rather than being utilized as eye candy like Megan Fox was.)

Personal insults aren't really the best move when you're chipping in your two cents either.

Edited by CarlosDanger
  • Like 1

As someone who grew up cherishing the original Transformers, TF2 (which I was dragged to) made me feel like my memories were being beaten with a crow bar for 150 minutes. I'll admit that the first Transformers was okay for what it was, but that second film practically gave me nightmares. Audiences enjoying it doesn't automatically make it good, as you should know. Bay knows how to make things go kaboom, but that is expected and to me, at least, his lack of respect for the roots of the franchises he capitalizes on and the disposable nature of his characters just takes away the awe and emotion that one sees in a great blockbuster. Inaddition, the rampant product placement and jingoism just distracted me (whereas PR is thankfully free of that for the most part.)

Shia was good for the requirements of the character, but he still seemed rather disposable and the enormous absurdity of the characters around him didn't make me see him as a true protagonist. PR is ultimately tied together by a common theme in Del Toro's films, how one recovers from loss in extreme circumstances, and I felt he managed to bring some humanity to his characters (they aren't the best written but it's something.) A true spectacle needs to have some humanity to it, otherwise you end up with an extended video game cut scene and to me (along with the vast majority of the people who saw it), PR succeeded in that regard. Also, personal insults aren't really the best move when you're chipping in your two cents.

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa.

There's another me out there?

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 2