#ED

Wknd Est: DM2 - 44.7M ; GU2 - 42.5M; PR - 38.3M; Heat - 14M; TLR - 11.1M; MU - 10.6M (PG 100)

I think this weekend reminds me a lot of June 28-30.MU held top spot while The Heat comedy broke out while WHD dissappointed.This week, DM 2 wins, GU2 broke out and PR dissappoints.

Grown Ups 2 has a chance to win the weekend though

LOL @ "Grown Ups 2". Well let's be honest.  People do love the actors in the cast and the 1st one was a hit.  The critics may hate it but audiences did enjoy the 1st movie so they were going to give this a chance. Also the critics hated on "Grow Ups Part 1" so I'm not really surprised by the bad reviews. Maybe the critics don't get the humor these guys are putting out. So though I felt it was going to do ok, maybe I'm slightly surprised it's doing even this well.   "Pacific Rim" may been a hard sell after the success of "Transformers Trilogy "  but it is going to do better than "Battleship".  I'm waiting out to see what it will do.  

Forget PR's budget, I'm amazed that all of Sandler's comedies including GU2 cost 80 million apiece. The Heat had two stars and even some explosions and cost half that much. Does Sandler just not work for under 20 million a movie now? 

LOL @ "Grown Ups 2". Well let's be honest.  People do love the actors in the cast and the 1st one was a hit.  The critics may hate it but audiences did enjoy the 1st movie so they were going to give this a chance. Also the critics hated on "Grow Ups Part 1" so I'm not really surprised by the bad reviews. Maybe the critics don't get the humor these guys are putting out. So though I felt it was going to do ok, maybe I'm slightly surprised it's doing even this well.   "Pacific Rim" may been a hard sell after the success of "Transformers Trilogy "  but it is going to do better than "Battleship".  I'm waiting out to see what it will do.  

There's really not much to get about the humor. It's over-the-top slapstick with one-liners that suck and/or are ruined because these guys have to laugh at their own jokes.

• Like 1

Meh weekend all around. Surprised at the jups for MU and DM2. Nothing was going on for kids yesterday so maybe the weather was too good outside? Today should help though.As for PR, I knew the midnights couldnt be compared to WWZ, but oh well. I hope it can still manage over $40M. I dont blame GDT. I hope no one would actually do this, but I feel like WB screwed with this movie somewhat. Im sure LP and Uni will have a better relationship.As for GU, Im not surprised. I was thinking it could open to $50M, but high 40's is good enough. Honestly the legs wont be anywhere near the first, but readtions ive seen so far have been majority good, not great, but good. I dont think the OW will srop to low 40's. Still hope DM2 takes #1.Congrats to everyone in my club.

Edited by jandrew

Forget PR's budget, I'm amazed that all of Sandler's comedies including GU2 cost 80 million apiece. The Heat had two stars and even some explosions and cost half that much. Does Sandler just not work for under 20 million a movie now? 

Yes, sir.

And he has a writer and producer fee as well.

Pacific Rim killed 300M for MoS.WB are idiots. Those IMAX screens were at least 20% of MoS Dailies.

I don't understand this. Are you suggesting that WB could make more money if they played MOS on IMAX instead of PR?

The numbers don't seem to support that. PR is bringing in 10x the amount of money that MOS is.

Yeah with PR under-performing, they could always give those IMAX screens right back to MOS. We've seen that happen before.

1. If the Thursday numbers are any indication, the movie's doing very well (over a quarter of its gross) in IMAX. 

2. We've seen that happen for movies that are still making decent amounts of money. There's very little demand for MOS right now. It'll lose a bunch more screens next weekend and face Wolverine the weekend after. 

• Like 1