Gopher

Thursday Numbers: The Wolverine - 4m midnights

I don't know why people are using Origin's #'s against The Wolverine.  This film is the 6th Entry in the franchise.  Plus if anything Origins hurt The Wolverine as many people see it as forgettable and it's only been 4 years. 

This isn't necessarily true at all for two reasons. One being that Origins was absolutely loathed so being a sequel actually may have HURT it, and more importantly, this is a FIFTH sequel in a franchise not based on books. People aren't going to rush out to see that necessarily. People had waited for years to see CA and Thor on the big screen for the first time. 

This isn't necessarily true at all for two reasons. One being that Origins was absolutely loathed so being a sequel actually may have HURT it, and more importantly, this is a FIFTH sequel in a franchise not based on books. People aren't going to rush out to see that necessarily. People had waited for years to see CA and Thor on the big screen for the first time. 

Since when have sequels become 'less front loaded' in recent times.  Almost every sequel is more demand up front than the predecessor.  Plus, Thor opened in May ... and Captain America looked almost boring.  I enjoyed it, but didn't see it in theaters for that reason.

55-60 OW is my projection based on this # ... I will see it today and if I love the film, I'll probably be hoping for more.

Edited by Adam

LOL, I went to buy tickets for this afternoon and I saw "3D" and I was shocked too.  

LOL No reason in the world for the 3D except for the overseas cash grab.  The ratio is gonna be low at the domestic box office.

Since when have sequels become 'less front loaded' in recent times.  Almost every sequel is more demand up front than the predecessor.  Plus, Thor opened in May ... and Captain America looked almost boring.  I enjoyed it, but didn't see it in theaters for that reason.

You're talking in general. Take a moment and think about the Xmen franchise.

The 3D did absolutely nothing. I only saw it in 3D because the next 2D session was an hour later and I didn't want to wait that long.

It's becoming a cash gimmick more and more.  I don't think people understood Cameron was trying to make an Experience with 3D as well as make more money.   It seems studio are just trying to make more money and not caring about the quality of the 3D experience.  

• Like 1

Most sequels don't follow up Origins, and the franchise is stating to get a little fatigued in terms of numbers, so it wouldn't shock me at all that it's a little less frontloaded. I expect 65-70 based on this number right now

55-60 OW is my projection based on this # ... I will see it today and if I love the film, I'll probably be hoping for more.

I think your projection is quite reasonable.

Since when have sequels become 'less front loaded' in recent times.  Almost every sequel is more demand up front than the predecessor.  Plus, Thor opened in May ... and Captain America looked almost boring.  I enjoyed it, but didn't see it in theaters for that reason. 55-60 OW is my projection based on this # ... I will see it today and if I love the film, I'll probably be hoping for more.

In general yes, but the Fast franchise has been getting slightly less frontloaded since the fourth one. It's one of the most remarkable box office feats IMO.

In general yes, but the Fast franchise has been getting slightly less frontloaded since the fourth one. It's one of the most remarkable box office feats IMO.

The Fast movies die out pretty quickly at the box office though.

The Fast franchise is just remarkable period. I am in awe at its success domestically and overseas. That series is gonna mess around and make 1 billion dollars one of these days with no 3d, lol.

I read 125 M but it's in the ballpark, pretty impressive still. The film is pretty contained in its scale compared to other superhero movies, and it is a very smart choice as it makes the movie stand out.

I wouldn’t exactly call the Wolverine a superhero movie. It’s really just a comic book movie.

Wolverine isn’t exactly a superhero; depending on the writer he can be an anti-hero.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic