Gopher

Thursday Numbers: The Wolverine - 4m midnights

FX had both Origins and Last Stand on back to back.  I know this might not be a popular opinion, but I would watch Origins anytime before I'd watch Last Stand again.

• Like 3

Yeah, true, it becomes superheroic in the third act (and that's the problem some critics have with it, but it's fine really).

Wolverine does act very heroic though. 

Well you gotta please the general audiences somehow I guess.

X-Men Franchise Multiplier:

X-Men: 2.89

X2: 2.51

X3: 2.28

Origins: 2.11

First Class: 2.65

LOL, Ironically the lowest grossing X-men films had the best mutiplier. But this is all the evidence you need.  X-men is a frontloaded series domestically.  If "The Wolverine" gross over 60 million than 125-140 will be the goal domestically if it can make it there. 

X-Men Franchise Multiplier: X-Men: 2.89X2: 2.51X3: 2.28Origins: 2.11First Class: 2.65 LOL, Ironically the lowest grossing X-men films had the best mutiplier. But this is all the evidence you need.  X-men is a frontloaded series domestically.  If "The Wolverine" gross over 60 million than 125-140 will be the goal domestically if it can make it there.

It's not irony, lower openers generally get better multis because it's just easier.
  • Like 1

It's not that it became too superhero-y and action-packed in the final act- that's fine. It's just that the final battle scene literally felt exactly like an outtake from Origins after a movie that so far had been so much better and more intelligent. 

FX had both Origins and Last Stand on back to back.  I know this might not be a popular opinion, but I would watch Origins anytime before I'd watch Last Stand again.

Just like what people are saying about TW, the 3rd act is when Origins falls apart IMO. I know the 2nd act was mixed, but the 3rd was just downright terrible. For some reason though it's still one of those perfect boring Saturday afternoon type movies and I'd watch it 1000x over TLS.

It's not irony, lower openers generally get better multis because it's just easier.

Generally sure but not all the time.  "X-Men the Last Stand" to me was the peak of popularity of the franchise with that over 100 Million OW.  Had the movie been better maybe it could of grossed 300 Million.  I was also shocked to see the franchise never crossed 500 Million WW for a single film.  In defense of the X-men though, Along with the 1st Blade, many feel it was apart of the comicbook superhero uprising after "Batman and Robin" damn near killed the genre so a lot of future comic book films benefited from X-men's success. 

• Like 1

It's not that it became too superhero-y and action-packed in the final act- that's fine. It's just that the final battle scene literally felt exactly like an outtake from Origins after a movie that so far had been so much better and more intelligent. 

Kinda, but really, it's just the last 10 min or so, it doesnt hurt the movie at all imo. 

Edited by RonSwanson