RyneOh1040

Weekend Numbers

Well, studios spent 570M (official production budgets) on Oblivion, After Earth, RIPD and Pacific Rim and those movies won't even cross 300M together in North America. If Elysium would only make 100M I think it would be fair to say studios spent a lot of money on 'original' sci-fi movies and it didn't work.

And yes I know RIPD is based on some comic book but I don't think it had a lot of fans.

You want your movie to sell, don't make it complicated.

300 is not a very popular comic book but Warner stuck to

the central idea : Spartans vs Persians. And it worked.

Olympus Has Fallen, Now You See Me, This is The End, The Heat and now The Conjuring - it's always nice when smaller films are doing so well.

OHF was budgeted at $70M and is probably still in the red. NYSM was the most expensive of these "smaller films" as it cost $75M and is probably just about breaking even. TITE only cost $32M, so it will make money. The Heat cost $43M, so it'll make a bunch of money. And with a $20M budget, The Conjuring will be rolling in the dough.

OHF was budgeted at $70M and is probably still in the red. NYSM was the most expensive of these "smaller films" as it cost $75M and is probably just about breaking even. TITE only cost $32M, so it will make money. The Heat cost $43M, so it'll make a bunch of money. And with a $20M budget, The Conjuring will be rolling in the dough.

Lionsgate sold foreign rights for 50M so NYSM budget is basically 25M + marketing against 115M + DVD/blu-ray/TV. ;)

• Founder / Operator

Interstellar is reportedly budgeted at 235M.

Were it not for Nolan's history, my first response would have been "that's insane for an original sci-fi film that won't be shown in 3D".

• Like 2

Were it not for Nolan's history, my first response would have been "that's insane for an original sci-fi film that won't be shown in 3D".

I'm assuming WB is looking at huge OS numbers.Domestically it may or may not hit 200M.It's opening against an original Marvel movie followed by MockingJay1 2 weeks later.WB has extreme confidence in Nolan at this point.

Inception had a huge appeal to women thanks to sexy male cast. This doesn't. No offense to MM who is fine for 50 years old but Casey and Topher are two thumbs way down. This budget requires interest and repeat viewing by many non-geek demographics and women are some of the most dedicated repeat viewers if not the most decidated.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

I'm assuming WB is looking at huge OS numbers.Domestically it may or may not hit 200M.It's opening against an original Marvel movie followed by MockingJay1 2 weeks later.WB has extreme confidence in Nolan at this point.

Marvel has no movies in November '14. ;)

EDIT: Never mind, forgot about Big Hero 6. Meh. It should be far more concerned about a new Nolan film than vice versa. General audiences are more likely to burnt out on comic movies at that point unless its a major character.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1