Gopher

The Interview | Limited Release on December 25, 2014

But there would outraged period.  It's just too controversial of a concept.  Was it worth it in the end?  Not only did this mess cause the Sony Leak which exposed Hollywood Executives at there worst but now the movie won't be released in major theaters and they will lose even more money off the project.  It wasn't worth it. Again, I like Seth and James a lot.  Those are my guys but this wasn't a funny concept, sorry. 

How can you say "this wasn't a funny concept"? Humour is almost entirely subjective. I don't like the jokes and style of Neighbors, it's not to my taste, but I can't say that the film flat out is not funny, because plenty of people did find it funny. Similarly, there are films that I think to be hilarious and others don't.

What do you mean "lose even more money"? This was never going to flop: there's not much competition for it, Rogen and Franco have been consistently successful in comedy, and the controversy in recent weeks had boosted the marketing campaign to amazing levels.

• Like 1

The theaters chains are fucking cowards over an obvious bluff. Major victory for these hackers and fear, North Korean leadership is partying like there is no tomorrow right now because they can actually scare people inside the US into action with empty threats.

this is not the case of just some people posting threats on Twitter. They hacked into a major corporation. I don't blame them for not wanting to take any risks. 

• Like 4

So? There was outrage about Ben Affleck being cast as Batman. There's outrage about everything. Bowing to outrage is lame when the creatives stand behind their vision

Yeah but outrage over Ben is "Fanboy" outrage which nobody in real life really cares about at the end of the day.  They'll be mad that Ben is batman then go and watch the movie anyway.  This is messing with another country who has an ichy trigger finger and trying to get Nukes.  Again my only point is with America and North Korea's bad relations it should of been a red flag that this movie might not work.  Again sometimes Hollywood execs are in their own little bubble and this Sony Leak showed that.  

• Like 1

How can you say "this wasn't a funny concept"? Humour is almost entirely subjective. I don't like the jokes and style of Neighbors, it's not to my taste, but I can't say that the film flat out is not funny, because plenty of people did find it funny. Similarly, there are films that I think to be hilarious and others don't.

What do you mean "lose even more money"? This was never going to flop: there's not much competition for it, Rogen and Franco have been consistently successful in comedy, and the controversy in recent weeks had boosted the marketing campaign to amazing levels.

That's right humor is subjective and in my subjective opinion doing a mock killing of a living president of a country isn't really funny and obviously after the events that occurred it wasn't a good idea at the end of the day.  As for "Losing Money" I'm talking about it not being release theatrically.  Again I have a sense of humor and I'm sure "The Interview" was them having good fun, it is a comedy so it's not a serious threat against North Korea but they view it that way cause of the bad relations between our countries.  Again put the shoe on another foot.  There's not way another country could do a "Killing of Obama" comedy and there wouldn't be outrage here. 

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1

That's right humor is subjective and in my subjective opinion doing a mock killing of a living president of a country isn't really funny and obviously after the events that occured it wasn't a good idea at the end of the day. 

So you honestly believe your personal comedic tastes should influence whether Sony greenlights a project or not?

Again, I'll go back to my example of Neighbors. I don't like it, it's not my thing. Would I therefore say it should never have been made because it's not funny? Of course not. Box office success is generally what determines whether a film gets the go-ahead, not the opinions of you or me. You don't seem capable of separating your personal, subjective preferences from business decisions.

• Like 2

How! Making a film that is obviously offensive and controversial is stulud if you ask me.

You're not a lover of cinema if you're afraid of a little controversy. That is the point of art. To get a reaction out of people! Whether its anger, joy, or heart break.

Being 'safe' is the death bed of American film making.

• Like 3

So you honestly believe your personal comedic tastes should influence whether Sony greenlights a project or not?

Again, I'll go back to my example of Neighbors. I don't like it, it's not my thing. Would I therefore say it should never have been made because it's not funny? Of course not. Box office success is generally what determines whether a film gets the go-ahead, not the opinions of you or me. You don't seem capable of separating your personal, subjective preferences from business decisions.

It's not about whether or not it's funny, It's downright inappropriate!

Comedic taste asides, this film was about assassinating a currently living dictator. If someone made a film about having me assassinated I would be pissed, comedy or not. Make a film about any president or dictator getting killed that is still living and in power, and I am sure that person/country won't be happy. I like the balls that Seth Rogen and Franco have here. I really do, but NKs response is not surprising either.

That's right humor is subjective and in my subjective opinion doing a mock killing of a living president of a country isn't really funny and obviously after the events that occurred it wasn't a good idea at the end of the day.  As for "Losing Money" I'm talking about it not being release theatrically.  Again I have a sense of humor and I'm sure "The Interview" was them having good fun, it is a comedy so it's not a serious threat against North Korea but they view it that way cause of the bad relations between our countries.  Again put the shoe on another foot.  There's not way another country could do a "Killing of Obama" comedy and there wouldn't be outrage here. 

I'm curious what your opinion is on "The Great Dictator" ???

• Like 2