Neo

The Fate of the Furious | 4.14.2017

What in the world is wrong with 4? It actually develops the characters and has a story not to mention by far the best action sequence in the franchise.

But the safe pulling scene is in 5 :ph34r:

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

What in the world is wrong with 4? It actually develops the characters and has a story not to mention by far the best action sequence in the franchise.

Fast 4 was absolute filler. Story was boring. And aside from a few winks, it took itself way too seriously compared to other Fast films.

And what is the best action sequence in the franchise that exists in 4? You better not say the tunnel sequence. That evoked memories of that god forsaken pod race in Phantom Menace.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 2

Fast 4 was absolute filler. Story was boring. And aside from a few winks, it took itself way too seriously compared to other Fast films.

And what is the best action sequence in the franchise that exists in 4? You better not say the tunnel sequence. That evoked memories of that god forsaken pod race in Phantom Menace.

The fact that it took itself seriously is what I liked about it.It all owed for a more mature story and some actual character moments.

The action sequence I'm referring anti is that street race between Brian and Dom (and those other people but they don't matter) in order to get the position.

I don't agree that 4 was filler. It was an important point in the franchise switching from a series of loosely connected films about racing cars to a strongly connected series of films about the relationships between a group of people who happened to drive cars and commit crimes. It lacks the freewheeling nature of the original three films, and in comparison to the stuff that followed, it doesn't have the sense of being really huge. That makes it seem like the odd man out.

What it is, really, is setup. If we take that 1-3 are the films that provide the basis for the characters, then 4 is the film that provides the basis for the plot. It's only from there that they can do 5-7.

With that said, yeah, it's pretty iffy on execution. The hokey effects worked in Tokyo Drift to a degree, because it still had that breezy nature that inhabited the first two films. But 4's incredibly stripped down and dramatic story was undermined at times because Lin wasn't quite sure how to pull things off. It seems like they paid pretty big to get Diesel and Walker back, which removed some of their ability to ramp up the effects. But it all worked out in the end to set the stage for the films to come, so it's not all bad.

• Like 3

Just gonna throw in my opinion. Fast 1 was the best; watching after Paul's passing gives it such an emotional undertone that was not intended, but is nonetheless there.

7 is the second best. It didn't take itself too seriously, and was a whole lot of fun. And that final scene kills me.

Then Fast 4.

Then 5.

• Like 1

Fast Five is the film that made this series more mainstream and accessible to a large audience.

It is like Fast and Furious Avengers, you have the Rock, an actual storyline and Cool Exotic location.

A lot of people including myself grew tired of the series but were brought back with that film.

Unsure about groups, but among my friends and punjabi people, one of the most well liked action blockbusters of the past 5 years. 

The fact that it took itself seriously is what I liked about it.It all owed for a more mature story and some actual character moments.

The action sequence I'm referring anti is that street race between Brian and Dom (and those other people but they don't matter) in order to get the position.

If you have a story that takes itself too seriously, then the action sequences need to reflect the tone of the story as well.

• Like 1

I don't agree that 4 was filler. It was an important point in the franchise switching from a series of loosely connected films about racing cars to a strongly connected series of films about the relationships between a group of people who happened to drive cars and commit crimes. It lacks the freewheeling nature of the original three films, and in comparison to the stuff that followed, it doesn't have the sense of being really huge. That makes it seem like the odd man out.

What it is, really, is setup. If we take that 1-3 are the films that provide the basis for the characters, then 4 is the film that provides the basis for the plot. It's only from there that they can do 5-7.

With that said, yeah, it's pretty iffy on execution. The hokey effects worked in Tokyo Drift to a degree, because it still had that breezy nature that inhabited the first two films. But 4's incredibly stripped down and dramatic story was undermined at times because Lin wasn't quite sure how to pull things off. It seems like they paid pretty big to get Diesel and Walker back, which removed some of their ability to ramp up the effects. But it all worked out in the end to set the stage for the films to come, so it's not all bad.

5 was the film they wanted to get to but they couldn't get there from 1, 2, or 3. So they did 4 to fill the gap to get to 5. Something that fills a gap = filler.