Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

So it’ll have to deal with a 33% RT score for weeks before it actually comes out. 

Wasn’t there an XMen movie that tried to have an early debut and ended up with a rotten score all through presales? 

yes, the Apocalypse situation happened.

Pretty crazy they allowed this to happen...I'm curious if they received good reactions from test and wanted to take the bet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Your comparing this to Mario an illumination title and those are always aren't really affected by reviews. They target specifically kids who don't care that much about quality.

Crystal skull had 78% and it's reception was pretty bad. 

This reviews are just plain bad not even middling at least for now .

Mario was beloved by the audience that actually played the games, even if film critics acted snobby about it. It never gave off "Ric Flair's Last Match" vibes like this does.

33 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Sadly, I think Harrison Ford and the Indy concept itself are well past their prime.

It's easier to add a new coat of paint to a sci fi franchise like Star Wars.

This, 100%.  This is why I never understood the "will win the summer" talk.  I saw the trailers and said "this looks old and tired", and none of my kids (now tween to young adult - sigh) ever said "wow, I want to see this" or even "that looks good", so it wasn't making headway into 25 and under of either gender.

I saw this as a James Bond equivalent - 40+ white male dominant...which never tends to win if it can't also draw the under 25s...

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

This, 100%.  This is why I never understood the "will win the summer" talk.  I saw the trailers and said "this looks old and tired", and none of my kids (now tween to young adult - sigh) ever said "wow, I want to see this" or even "that looks good", so it wasn't making headway into 25 and under of either gender.

I saw this as a James Bond equivalent - 40+ white male dominant...which never tends to win if it can't also draw the under 25s...

I'm under 25, the 20-25 market would be there for this if it's good, there's a lot of Indy nostalgia thanks to Crystal Skull and just in general Indy still being relevant in the 2000s. You probably mean under 20 instead. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Your comparing this to Mario an illumination title and those are always aren't really affected by reviews. They target specifically kids who don't care that much about quality.

Crystal skull had 78% and it's reception was pretty bad. 

This reviews are just plain bad not even middling at least for now .

Mario was as much a kids movies as it was a movie for the millennials that grew up with the games. It played on that nostalgia. And the interest was there, no matter the reviews. Similarly, Indy is all about reliving the old adventures. My point is, if average Joe wanna see Indy, he will see it. Even though it's an old IP, it still has some pull. And unlike Solo, it features the original actor.

As for the Crystal Skull comparison, one cannot really compare without taking into account the context. It was the first Indy since the old films, it had that goodwill bonus.

I'm not saying DoD will win the summer or anything like that but some people going bellow $200m DOM is a bit much imho. Maybe i will eat crow, time will tell...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

I'm under 25, the 20-25 market would be there for this if it's good, there's a lot of Indy nostalgia thanks to Crystal Skull and just in general Indy still being relevant in the 2000s. You probably mean under 20 instead. 

There is NOT nostalgia for Crystal Skull. There is still nostalgia for the original trilogy but it's heavily concentrated in over 35s. Indy was really more an 80s/90s kid thing. This would show in the initial audience but IF the movie was good it would branch to other groups Top Gun style.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

You know not everything your kids like translate into a box office winner... 

• Like 2

Just now, MightyDargon said:

There is NOT nostalgia for Crystal Skull. There is still nostalgia for the original trilogy but it's heavily concentrated in over 35s. Indy was really more an 80s/90s kid thing. This would show in the initial audience but IF the movie was good it would branch to other groups Top Gun style.

There is totally nostalgia for Crystal Skull among my gen. 

• Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yeah anecdotally my kids couldn't care less about Indy 5 and they had some exposure to the franchise via the Lego games.

The boomer and gen X generation carried Top Gun Maverick but by most accounts that movie was a masterpiece, so...

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

You know not everything your kids like translate into a box office winner... 

Mario seems like it is, though...and Spidey is looking great...so for now, I think they are batting 2 for 2:)...I'll take the hit when they fail wildly:)...

For the record, they are not sold on Ruby, which is why I'm not...that's an "eh, we'd see it if we're bored or it's cheap enough"...

Next big one for the youngest is Five Nights at Freddy which I mentioned hours after the trailer premiered...no idea why that's straight to streaming for now...

Edit to Add: And if I'm being fair, Elemental actually also falls into the "eh, we'd see it if we're bored or it's cheap enough", so its marketing has kinda seeped in...it's not a "we're not seeing that" reaction...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1