Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

I'm starting to think 90% of Indiana Jones appeal was being a sexy, young Harrison Ford that men wanted to be and women wanted to be with.

An Indy that's geriatric hits different.

That an CGI added to a period piece is so obvious and plastic it ruins the fantasy/immersion. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'm starting to think 90% of Indiana Jones appeal was being a sexy, young Harrison Ford that men wanted to be and women wanted to be with.

That an CGI added to a period piece is so obvious and plastic it ruins the fantasy/immersion. 

why cant a fun adventure movie just be fun?

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

would have been a good idea since it would have benefitted from not just Memorial Day but Father’s Day 

TGM dropped just 14% on Father's Day weekend. That was like the perfect dad movie. :ohmygod:

10 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

Bc it's good

EDIT: How do I delete this shit? I was behind and have now seen like 20 different people say exactly what I said

don’t worry, all 20 of you are wrong. There are great bond films, and that’s assuredly not one of them.

Edited by Hatebox

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Yes, it’s this in so many words. He gets a lot of shit on here these days, but Red Letter Media’s crystal skull essay is bang on. Indy is not an interesting character: like Bond he is enjoyed vicariously….and most people don’t fantasise about being old.  

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 5

idk, it feels like over the years people have conjured up an image of the Indiana Jones movies as these kinda dark and gritty action movies when they are very lighthearted whacky goofs. 

All of Indy's coolness is basically set up so when the movie continually undercuts him, it's even more satisfying. 

Even his famous introduction scene in Raiders has him:

- totally make the wrong call to bypass the golden idol's trap/- making the terrible decision to throw Satipo the idol/- allowing Belloq to steal the idol from him while confirming that this is also not the first time he's done it to Indy/- followed by Indy being chased by natives in a total blind panic/- capped off with him screaming hysterically when he finds a non-poisonous snake

Even the scary stuff is fun scary, the Nazis' faces melting, the Kali sacrifice, Donovan's death etc

The only thing that ever comes across as actively dark with no sense of fun is some of the mine torture stuff in TOD, and even Lucas/Spielberg admitted that was way too off tonally for the series.

My biggest concern with DOD has always been that it will try too hard to be like the imagined version of Indiana Jones conjured up by people who saw them young, and not an actual follow-up to what they were. 

:Edit: It's also why I would never want to be the one in charge of making a sequel.

You're not just dealing with the "if the previous movies didn't do it, then it 'logically' it shouldn't happen in the franchise universe" brigade, but also people who think that the type of stuff that totally happened in the previous movies, did not. 

Edited by TerwillikerInst
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

And who kids wanted to grow up to be. He’s an escapist dream. University lecturer on history who awash buckles around an exotic world, fights nazis and gets the ladies.

Kids don’t want to be grandpa.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, TerwillikerInst said:

idk, it feels like over the years people have conjured up an image of the Indiana Jones movies as these kinda dark and gritty action movies when they are very lighthearted whacky goofs. 

All of Indy's coolness is basically set up so when the movie continually undercuts him, it's even more satisfying. 

Even his famous introduction scene in Raiders has him:

- totally make the wrong call to bypass the golden idol's trap/- making the terrible decision to throw Satipo the idol/- allowing Belloq to steal the idol from him while confirming that this is also not the first time he's done it to Indy/- followed by Indy being chased by natives in a total blind panic/- capped off with him screaming hysterically when he finds a non-poisonous snake

Even the scary stuff is fun scary, the Nazis' faces melting, the Kali sacrifice, Donovan's death etc

The only thing that ever comes across as actively dark with no sense of fun is some of the mine torture stuff in TOD, and even Lucas/Spielberg admitted that was way too off tonally for the series.

My biggest concern with DOD has always been that it will try too hard to be like the imagined version of Indiana Jones conjured up by people who saw them young, and not an actual follow-up to what they were. 

:Edit: It's also why I would never want to be the one in charge of making a sequel.

You're not just dealing with the "if the previous movies didn't do it, then it 'logically' it shouldn't happen in the franchise universe" brigade, but also people who think that the type of stuff that totally happened in the previous movies, did not. 

Funny cause from the reviews it's seems they played it safe like with the others...which is another issue with any sequel these days it seems....you piss off people of you go paint by numbers and u piss off more people if you change it up.....